Subject: Questions about barrels between the 2 different surfboard types. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When riding a barrel with a longboard, I wipeout if my power number is different to that of the barrel power number. Yet, when I ride the shortboard, I wipeout if it is the same.

Given that there are 3 cards of each barrel power (1 to 3), and there are the same number of power cards in the players deck, what is the mechanical reason for having 2 different wipeout rules in barrels.

Also, what is the thematic reason for the difference?

Surely, whether you ride short or longboard, one is able to ride a barrel when one is perfectly in synch with the wave (i.e. the player's card has the same power number as the barrel card)?

Apart from that, I am really enjoying the game.

Makes me want to drive 5hrs and hit the water. But I have work to do...cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guigtexas wrote:
When riding a barrel with a longboard, I wipeout if my power number is different to that of the barrel power number. Yet, when I ride the shortboard, I wipeout if it is the same.

Given that there are 3 cards of each barrel power (1 to 3), and there are the same number of power cards in the players deck, what is the mechanical reason for having 2 different wipeout rules in barrels.

Also, what is the thematic reason for the difference?

Surely, whether you ride short or longboard, one is able to ride a barrel when one is perfectly in synch with the wave (i.e. the player's card has the same power number as the barrel card)?

Apart from that, I am really enjoying the game.

Makes me want to drive 5hrs and hit the water. But I have work to do...cry

Hey Guillaume!

Thanks for the question!! In real surfing, riding a barrel is much more difficult on a longboard than it is on a shortboard (because a shortboard is much more agile than a longboard). I've attempted to emulate this difference by using percentages.

With the longboard, you have to MATCH the number on the barrel card - which means you have a 1 in 3 chance of ridding the barrel. While on a shortboard, you are attempting to NOT MATCH, which gives you a 2 in 3 chance of ridding the barrel. So it's easier to ride barrel waves on a shortboard.

So yes, you can 'sync' with the wave on a shortboard or longboard, but it's much easier on a shortboard!

Does that help answer your question Guillaume?

Cheers, -Cody

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha! Well of course that makes a lot of sense now. i didnt spot he difference in success rate.

Really love the game by the way. Just finished the 3rd event in the solo campaign and scored a hang ten, on a perfect wave, on the last card of the wave deck! Epic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
guigtexas wrote:
Aha! Well of course that makes a lot of sense now. i didnt spot he difference in success rate.

Really love the game by the way. Just finished the 3rd event in the solo campaign and scored a hang ten, on a perfect wave, on the last card of the wave deck! Epic!

Wow! Haha! What a way to finish out an event!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Root
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention that with a short board you have the option of "4" power cards, and barrels only go from 1-3 so if you can set yourself up to play one without losing your balance, you have an automatic ride on the barrel if I interpret the rules correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RootBoy42 wrote:
Not to mention that with a short board you have the option of "4" power cards, and barrels only go from 1-3 so if you can set yourself up to play one without losing your balance, you have an automatic ride on the barrel if I interpret the rules correctly.

With a 4, you jump right over the barrel wave. If you stay on your board, you don't get a Barrel token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Root
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, what? Did I miss that rule somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 9 of the rulebook (including the bold):

Quote:
Avoiding Barrels

If you played a card with printed value of 4 (only available when riding a shortboard) when riding a barrel wave card, you are considered to be avoiding the barrel, by jumping over it, and you ignore the success/failure. However, you do not gain a barrel token when you avoid a barrel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Root
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ah! well, I played that rule wrong....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.