United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

We also have a microbadge available for those who enjoy the polls mb.

Poll: The 365th TGIF Poll
This is a list of all the Board Game Mechanics listed on BGG. Select your 5 favorite from the list.
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Acting
0.5% 1
Action / Movement Programming
5.0% 11
Action Point Allowance System
23.6% 52
Area Control / Area Influence
28.6% 63
Area Enclosure
1.4% 3
Area Movement
0.5% 1
Area-Impulse
0.0% 0
Auction/Bidding
18.6% 41
Betting/Wagering
2.3% 5
Campaign / Battle Card Driven
7.7% 17
Card Drafting
23.2% 51
Chit-Pull System
1.8% 4
Co-operative Play
28.2% 62
Commodity Speculation
0.9% 2
Crayon Rail System
2.3% 5
Deck / Pool Building
34.5% 76
Dice Rolling
22.7% 50
Grid Movement
0.9% 2
Hand Management
21.4% 47
Hex-and-Counter
6.4% 14
Line Drawing
0.5% 1
Memory
0.0% 0
Modular Board
19.5% 43
Paper-and-Pencil
0.5% 1
Partnerships
2.3% 5
Pattern Building
0.5% 1
Pattern Recognition
0.9% 2
Pick-up and Deliver
10.9% 24
Player Elimination
0.5% 1
Point to Point Movement
1.8% 4
Press Your Luck
12.3% 27
Rock-Paper-Scissors
0.5% 1
Role Playing
6.8% 15
Roll / Spin and Move
0.5% 1
Route/Network Building
16.8% 37
Secret Unit Deployment
3.6% 8
Set Collection
13.2% 29
Simulation
8.2% 18
Simultaneous Action Selection
17.7% 39
Singing
0.5% 1
Stock Holding
4.5% 10
Storytelling
8.2% 18
Take That
2.7% 6
Tile Placement
26.8% 59
Time Track
1.4% 3
Trading
4.5% 10
Trick-taking
7.3% 16
Variable Phase Order
2.7% 6
Variable Player Powers
34.5% 76
Voting
2.7% 6
Worker Placement
58.6% 129
Voters 220
Same list. Now select your 5 least favorite from the list.
Acting
50.7% 111
Action / Movement Programming
2.3% 5
Action Point Allowance System
0.5% 1
Area Control / Area Influence
7.3% 16
Area Enclosure
1.4% 3
Area Movement
0.5% 1
Area-Impulse
0.9% 2
Auction/Bidding
14.2% 31
Betting/Wagering
13.2% 29
Campaign / Battle Card Driven
5.9% 13
Card Drafting
4.6% 10
Chit-Pull System
2.7% 6
Co-operative Play
9.6% 21
Commodity Speculation
11.4% 25
Crayon Rail System
9.6% 21
Deck / Pool Building
6.4% 14
Dice Rolling
4.6% 10
Grid Movement
2.3% 5
Hand Management
0.0% 0
Hex-and-Counter
8.2% 18
Line Drawing
9.1% 20
Memory
42.0% 92
Modular Board
0.5% 1
Paper-and-Pencil
13.7% 30
Partnerships
3.2% 7
Pattern Building
0.9% 2
Pattern Recognition
6.8% 15
Pick-up and Deliver
2.3% 5
Player Elimination
41.6% 91
Point to Point Movement
0.5% 1
Press Your Luck
3.2% 7
Rock-Paper-Scissors
19.2% 42
Role Playing
11.0% 24
Roll / Spin and Move
41.1% 90
Route/Network Building
0.5% 1
Secret Unit Deployment
1.4% 3
Set Collection
2.3% 5
Simulation
0.5% 1
Simultaneous Action Selection
1.8% 4
Singing
57.1% 125
Stock Holding
8.7% 19
Storytelling
16.9% 37
Take That
22.8% 50
Tile Placement
0.9% 2
Time Track
1.4% 3
Trading
3.7% 8
Trick-taking
3.7% 8
Variable Phase Order
1.4% 3
Variable Player Powers
0.9% 2
Voting
12.8% 28
Worker Placement
1.8% 4
Voters 219
Do you ever buy games based primarily on the mechanisms they have in them and how much you like those mechanisms?
All the Time
4.5% 10
Frequently
36.8% 81
Sometimes
40.5% 89
Rarely
15.9% 35
Never
2.3% 5
Voters 220
This poll is now closed.   223 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Aug 4, 2016 6:00 am

4. Have you ever had a game change your mind on a mechanism? (You realized you actually like or dislike it more than you thought.) What game and what mechanism?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - I love co-operative, dice rolling, partnerships, set collection, and trick-taking. Most of my favorite games have at least a little bit of one of these.

2 - I don't really like programmed movement and betting. And I absolutely loathe memory, roll-and-move, and take that. There are obviously games that I like despite these mechanisms, but they usually need a clever way of getting around what I hate.

3 - I rarely pay attention to mechanisms before buying. My selections are based on much different factors.

4 - When I played Modern Art I realized just how much I can enjoy auctions. If done right they can be a lot of fun, and I always thought they were annoying and stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - I don't much care about mechanisms. Any mechanism can be part of a good game, any part of a bad game. If a mechanism is truly dominant in the game (like say deck building is in Dominion and many others), then even if I truly enjoy Domionion, it will cause me to avoid games that also have that mechanism displayed dominantly. I care much more about how a game feels in play, which isn't determined so much by specific mechanisms, but rather how those mechanisms are interwoven.

2 - Similarly, I don't inherently dislike any mechanisms. Except for player elimination. I don't find now playing fun. So a game that stops me from playing while everyone else continues will likely not be something I will want to play. That being said, there are some games that do this and are fun. But they are few and far between.

3 - The only mechanism that interests me enough that I kind of vaguely seek out games with it is variable set up, as seen in Dominion and Kingdom Builder. But that's the only one. Otherwise, as I said, I tend to seek out games for how they feel to play, not for their rules.

4 - In the last few years I've played some fun player elimination games, like King of Tokyo or Coup (nothing that ranks above a 7, mind, but, still, good games), which has made me realize that one can design a game with player elimination that is fun. Although I still end up wondering if the games would be more fun had they been designed without the Player Elimination...

EDIT - Dang. Forgot memory for number 2. Games that want me to remember things (not Hidden Trackable Information, which I will happily forget, but actual memory games) feel like too much work to me. I get bored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterium.

I can't say I am a huge Co-op fan there are a TON of Co-op games I really hate and for the longest time never even considered playing them. Since Mysterium I have been more open to trying them and have found I actually like a number of them. Still not a fav to get to the table but I am at least willing to give co-ops a chance and have been pleasantly surprised by some of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite mechanisms that isn't in the database is dice placement (Kingsburg, Alien Frontiers, Artifacts, Inc.). Similar to worker placement, but I like the randomness it forces you to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about changing my mind, but Formula D showed me that Roll / Spin and Move doesn't have to suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason King
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
One of my favorite mechanisms that isn't in the database is dice placement (Kingsburg, Alien Frontiers, Artifacts, Inc.). Similar to worker placement, but I like the randomness it forces you to deal with.

I think this still falls under the mechanism of worker placement. I do like the games you mentioned, and I agree that they offer a nice bit of randomness to standard work placement.

Work placement...with a twist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Clifton
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
Stave it off, 1 2 3, now you can count to three!
badge
Do I know what rhetorical means?
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to pick the 5 mechanisms I think I enjoy the most but include those I don't necessarily get to use much, if at all. Which is why as of this posting I am the only one who chose acting and/or singing as favorites! I know they are unpopular but am surprised to see they are more so than roll and move! Blegh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
If a game has commodity speculation/stock holding, I'm generally in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
We should really add "Crush you enemies. See them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women" as a mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Auctions - Area Control
Action Point Allowance
Battle card driven
Hand Management

Dislike

Co-ops
Betting
Rock-paper-scissors mechanisms
roll and move (duh)
Card drafting

Changed my mind? Race for the Galaxy and Deus really made Tableau building something I do not look forward too with their extreme levels of parallel play (and near meaningless levels of interaction).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bretcliftawn wrote:
Which is why as of this posting I am the only one who chose acting and/or singing as favorites! I know they are unpopular but am surprised to see they are more so than roll and move! Blegh!

Charades is awesome! Then again, so is Backgammon (so I can't see why anyone would have a problem with Roll and Move).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Campaign/Battle Card Driven" What the boink is that? I hate campaign driven games, but I love battle card games. Why are these two things together?

4.Before I played Blood Rage, and after a bad experience with Kemet, I hated the idea of area control/conflict, now I love it, and I enjoy Kemet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
"Campaign/Battle Card Driven" What the boink is that? I hate campaign driven games, but I love battle card games. Why are these two things together?

4.Before I played Blood Rage, and after a bad experience with Kemet, I hated the idea of area control/conflict, now I love it, and I enjoy Kemet.

Well, in CDGs, the best cards to get are the Major/Minor Campaign cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1:

mintcamel Card Drafting - Can reduce options to consider for new players, while adding an element of strategic and tactical play for more advanced players by reducing, to a certain extent, the luck of the draw while keeping the variability inherrent to shuffling a deck of cards.
limecamel Modular Board - An easy way of adding replayability to many games.
grapecamel Tile Placement - Similar to modular board, but under player control as game progresses if a group tile placement, or adding a geometric aspect to a tableu builder if each player has their own grid of tiles to place into
lemoncamel Variable Player Powers - I'm a fan of assymetry in games, to greater or lesser extents, and this is a simple way of adding some assymetry without requiring players learn multiple sets of mechanics
orangecamel Worker Placement - An action selection mechanic that, at it's simplest, on top of whatever interactivity (or lack of interactivity) the game has outside of it adds a layer of interactivity to the game without adding much in the way of complexity, and which has lots of cool variants for implementation that adds more interest to it than simply the action draft that it is at it's core.

2:

mintcamel Acting - Nothing against roleplay, and RPGs in general, but... I'd rather not act for mechanical reasons in a board game
limecamel Player Elimination - Usually outdated framing for a game, and has no place in games longer than 20 minutes.
grapecamel Roll / Spin and Move - Not inherrently bad (Backgammon), but too often used in games as a substitute for player choice for me to like the mechanic overall.
lemoncamel Singing - While I enjoy Singing in and of itself, I have absolutely no interest in a game that requires singing.
orangecamel Take THat - Interactivity in games is a good thing, but that sort of 'screw you' purely for the sake of screwing another player is one that rarely appeals to me. Hate drafting? Sure. A deck of cards that is there purely to screw over other players? I'll usually pass on a game with that element, especially if it's a core of the game.

3: Sometimes - Usually I pick based on interest on the overall package, but... Sometimes the mechanics, or an interesting combination of them, is a major factor in that.

4: Twilight Struggle made me realize that there are ways of making Area Majority - a mechanic I don't tend to rate for two player games - work with two players (Namely, put a minimum threshold that you need to have a majority by into place), but I'm not sure that's quite what you meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some trouble choosing five mechanics that I really enjoy from the list. There were about three that I recognized as really liking right away: route/network building, action point allowance system and tile placement. About a quarter of the list were mechanics that I moderately enjoy. A mechanic that I enjoy but was omitted from the list is what I would call resource development. I would describe it as the aspect of a worker placement game where you "build" a means of gaining a resource automatically instead of using a worker or because of the mechanism a worker gains bonus resources also. Another omitted* mechanic I kind of like is the action rondel.

I also had trouble with choosing the five mechanics I like least. There were many more than five that are real turn offs for me. In addition to all the ones receiving more than 30% of the vote, I'm also not fond of betting/wagering, co-operative play, rock/paper/scissors (which I really dislike intensely), role playing, story telling and voting (I'm thinking of Apples to Apples).

I'm not sure that I have ever bought a game due to one or more of its mechanics, but I certainly have declined purchases due to mechanics I don't care for.

I used to be averse to auctioning turn order until playing Railways of the World. In that game I don't see any other good way to determine turn order as the value of going first or nearly first is highly variable and highly dependent on the current game state.

* maybe it's called something else that I didn't recognize
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
4. Have you ever had a game change your mind on a mechanism? (You realized you actually like or dislike it more than you thought.) What game and what mechanism?

I hate memory mechanisms. While it didn't change my mind on the mechanism as a whole, a memory game I was surprised to actually enjoy was Wicked Witches Way.

Similarly, I don't like negotiation games (why isn't negotiation a mechanism?); Mall of Horror etc aren't my cup of tea. But, I actually enjoyed Knizia's classic negotiation game Quo Vadis?. I still don't like negotiation in general, but the game showed me that in certain contexts I enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
“I can't bring myself to say, 'Well, I guess I'll be toddling along.' It isn't that I can't toddle. It's just that I can't guess I'll toddle.” ― Robert Benchley
mbmbmbmbmb
#4: I tend to loathe deck building games, but Baseball Highlights: 2045 showed me it can be done well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
agentkuo wrote:

Well, in CDGs, the best cards to get are the Major/Minor Campaign cards?

My issue is that I didn't see Campaign-driven games on the list and I didn't see "Battle card games" on the list, I only saw them smooshed into one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

NOT a fan of real time games in general (even-though I have several), although I don't mind a time track, but did not see real time as an option.

4. Although I was a huge MTG fanboy, the purchase of Ashes, which I thought I would love, has shown me that I am not into deck creation games other than MTG! RUINED I suppose!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.