Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First, are Adventures and Story Quests the same things? It seems like they are but I'm not sure.

Second, I'm trying to play through the first story quest in the book where you wake up and grab some gear from the bodies and find your way out of the hive. Just a couple of questions.

Of course this is Myth, so guidance is thin on the ground. I've been ignoring the quest requirement on the tiles since I'm playing a Story Quest mandating these tiles. Also it seem unlikely you'd be working to get say silk for the weaver when you're just trying to survive the fight out of the hive. But do they mean you to do other quests? And on tiles that are quest or trap, do they intend you to add traps to tiles while doing a story quest? I'll probably still not do it (especially when trying to just learn the game) but I'm curious.

On the first tile I gave myself 1 of the three (colorful but comic) starting items and 1 green card (I actually drew till I got a weapon for the Soldier and a relic for the Acolyte). I thought I was in enough trouble without starting with a card that was useless to my classes. I populated the first tile pretty conservatively but was a little more confident on the second. It was the second tile before I was picking up the treasure reliably and felt like I was mildly in the swing of figuring out how to move and attack.

At first I thought any card that gave a continuous bonus was "ongoing" but apparently that was not the case (only some classes have them?) and I think my two characters don't have them I guess.

At the end of a tile (after it is cleared) you then move to the next tile in the story quest with double movement? You still have to spend 1 AP per Hero Phase otherwise you get loitering penalties, or is that turned off while you're going to the next tile? Do you populate the tile right away or do you wait till the characters get to the edge of the tile?

I was confused about the rewards of the quest until I realized that the first three sections of the story quest section were the same story quest, just different acts. That makes sense now, you draw stuff at the end because there are more acts. At the end, are all characters supposed to get the title and the benefits? I assume so, but it doesn't seem to say.

I understand that at the end of the story quest, assuming I get the title, I can only keep one item per title per character. This seem odd to me, especially since you're also apparently throwing away your gold and potions. At the risk of gear proliferation I'm inclined to keep the money and the potions and stick to the gear limits for now. I must say that playing with decent gear (green) makes the game SO much more fun than the wooden plank and the pot lid, etc. It's funny but even if the stats were the same for the starting equipment, I'd rather have something called a sword than a plank of wood and a shield instead of a pot lid. It feels demeaning. I guess it's supposed to be a sort of in joke but it kind of undermines the idea of the hero and of course the minis reflect decent equipment.

Anyway, any clarifications or advice would be welcome. I'm liking the game so far. Very much a puzzle game as well as a tactical one. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding of the game's - shall we say - flexible structure (primarily from pages 28-29 of the 2.0 Rulebook) is as follows...

There are 4 overarching play modes: Adventures, Story Quests, Slaughterfield, Tavern Brawl

Adventures (e.g. Adventure Mode): Players pick Realm Tiles to play through (e.g. clear) one by one. The game 'produces' different challenges for players based on each tile's symbol. Most tiles produce one Quest, randomly chosen by having players draw from the deck of Quest Cards. (Note: "Quests" in 'Adventure Mode' are completely different from "Story Quests.") Some of Quest Cards will chain into other Quest Cards, which require moving to a new tile to complete.

In 'Adventure Mode' an "Act" is synonymous with a play session. Players are free to choose how many Realm Tiles they play through in a single Act/session. In other words, in the context of 'Adventure Mode', "Act" is completely arbitrary, and it's probably best to think in terms of 'play sessions' instead.

Story Quests AKA Myth Modules (e.g. Story Quest Mode): This is basically campaign mode, much closer to FFG's Descent, with a coherent story divided into clearly defined "Acts" (which are considerably different from Adventure Mode Acts) and lasting character progression.

So far as I can tell "Story Quest" and "Myth Module" mean exactly the same thing.

The original Story Quest for the base game - Fury of the Fireborne - to my knowledge has not been updated to the 2.0 rules and does not come with the 2.0 base game. It is downloadable as a free PnP file on Megacon's website.

A new Story Quest written with the 2.0 rules - Rise of the Revenant - is now available as a free downloadable PnP file on the website. However, this Story Quest requires content from certain small expansions (though they provide PnP versions of the cards which can be printed and used with proxy miniatures).

The two big box 'Journeyman' expansions - Blackwell Warrens and Shores of Kanis - each include their own complete Story Quests, which, lore-wise, pick up where Fury of the Fireborne ended.

Slaughterfield: is a combat-oriented play mode where players clear progressively more difficult waves of monsters.

Tavern Brawl: is apparently a player-vs-player mode or something. The rules are available as a free download on the website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mwanafalsafa wrote:
My understanding of the game's - shall we say - flexible structure (primarily from pages 28-29 of the 2.0 Rulebook) is as follows...

There are 4 overarching play modes: Adventures, Story Quests, Slaughterfield, Tavern Brawl

Adventures (e.g. Adventure Mode): Players pick Realm Tiles to play through (e.g. clear) one by one. The game 'produces' different challenges for players based on each tile's symbol. Most tiles produce one Quest, randomly chosen by having players draw from the deck of Quest Cards. (Note: "Quests" in 'Adventure Mode' are completely different from "Story Quests.") Some of Quest Cards will chain into other Quest Cards, which require moving to a new tile to complete.

In 'Adventure Mode' an "Act" is synonymous with a play session. Players are free to choose how many Realm Tiles they play through in a single Act/session. In other words, in the context of 'Adventure Mode', "Act" is completely arbitrary, and it's probably best to think in terms of 'play sessions' instead.

Story Quests AKA Myth Modules (e.g. Story Quest Mode): This is basically campaign mode, much closer to FFG's Descent, with a coherent story divided into clearly defined "Acts" (which are considerably different from Adventure Mode Acts) and lasting character progression.

So far as I can tell "Story Quest" and "Myth Module" mean exactly the same thing.

The original Story Quest for the base game - Fury of the Fireborne - to my knowledge has not been updated to the 2.0 rules and does not come with the 2.0 base game. It is downloadable as a free PnP file on Megacon's website.

A new Story Quest written with the 2.0 rules - Rise of the Revenant - is now available as a free downloadable PnP file on the website. However, this Story Quest requires content from certain small expansions (though they provide PnP versions of the cards which can be printed and used with proxy miniatures).

The two big box 'Journeyman' expansions - Blackwell Warrens and Shores of Kanis - each include their own complete Story Quests, which, lore-wise, pick up where Fury of the Fireborne ended.

Slaughterfield: is a combat-oriented play mode where players clear progressively more difficult waves of monsters.

Tavern Brawl: is apparently a player-vs-player mode or something. The rules are available as a free download on the website.

Pretty much on point except that Fury of the Fireborn is being redone with miniatures of its own in the JM kickstarter. There is also many more modules that are being created and will hopefully be available.

I would recommend getting the agents if you play adventure mode. With the new rules coming out, not the 2.0 rulebook, the agents will come and go (if you own them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
whiskemuscles wrote:
With the new rules coming out, not the 2.0 rulebook, the agents will come and go (if you own them).

Can you elaborate here? I might have missed something. Agents are a significant disappointment for me, and I wonder if they have been given some McG love since their initial release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
whiskemuscles wrote:
With the new rules coming out, not the 2.0 rulebook, the agents will come and go (if you own them).

Can you elaborate here? I might have missed something. Agents are a significant disappointment for me, and I wonder if they have been given some McG love since their initial release.

They mentioned that when an agent appears and you defeat them either their card or something goes into the adventure deck. They can pop back later like a nemesis. I'd have to find the exact wondering but that was the general idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.