King of Tokyo» Forums » General

Subject: New Player Game Version Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Borg
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing this game today, I wanted to see what the suggestion of the members here would be to get into this game.

So far the only difference I see between the First Edition and Second edition are the monsters included, one rule book change/clarification, and one card that was changed.

I like the idea of playing the power up cards with the different monsters as it gives it a more "unique" feel for each player so they are all not just the same monster with different avatars.

I was thinking of picking up the 1st edition with the Power-up and Halloween editions so complete my collection, unless someone from iello can chime in and say that they will be offering a "2nd" edition of all of these!

(I do like having a Killer Cyber Bunny instead of a Kitten... so I might have to pick up the 1st edition anyway...)

Help a new KoT player out!!

Rek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Williams
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They've announced that they'll be making a second edition of Power Up!, but not Halloween. So first edition will make sense for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They will most definitely be putting out a new Power Up expansion. The rumor is that it will also have the needed items to allow you to cross over your monsters from King of NY and King of Tokyo. No announcement as to when it will be available though, but no reason you shouldn't pick up the old one anyway. It still works with several of the main characters (just with the old artwork), and Cyber Bunny is one of my favorite characters, so I don't plan on getting rid of mine, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Borg
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great!!

The Space Penguin - Does it have Powerup cards or is it just a monster avatar?

Edit * Found out my answer by looking at the promo card, just a monster no Evolution cards!!*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
Reklawyad wrote:
Sounds great!!

The Space Penguin - Does it have Powerup cards or is it just a monster avatar?

Edit * Found out my answer by looking at the promo card, just a monster no Evolution cards!!*
The upcoming revised Power Up expansion will have evolution cards for Space Penguin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reklawyad wrote:
So far the only difference I see between the First Edition and Second edition are the monsters included, one rule book change/clarification, and one card that was changed.

The card backs were also changed. Do you like opaque sleeves? You'll need them if you want to mix 1st and 2nd edition cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Borg
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot the card backs as well.. I don't mind opaque sleeves at all, so that should be fine.

Good to hear they are making Evolution cards for Space Penguin, so might be something I need to pick up later thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that I've heard somewhere that there are no plans to reprint the Halloween expansion. In my experience, most people prefer not to play with this expansion anyway.

Currently the Halloween expansion's costume cards and the tournament and convention promo card pack are the only outside cards that would require opaque sleeves to integrate into the 2nd edition.

I have heard that Iello plans to reprint the promo card packs to match the 2nd edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Borg
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewkapish wrote:
I believe that I've heard somewhere that there are no plans to reprint the Halloween expansion. In my experience, most people prefer not to play with this expansion anyway.

Currently the Halloween expansion's costume cards and the tournament and convention promo card pack are the only outside cards that would require opaque sleeves to integrate into the 2nd edition.

I have heard that Iello plans to reprint the promo card packs to match the 2nd edition.

Interesting... I'll have a harder look at the Halloween and see if I want to get that or not...

I really enjoyed the Kraken today anyway so I'm thinking I'll want to pick up that first edition anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Borg
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found a local copy of the most recent Powerup and Base game (not 2016 version) and for those.

Hoping to play them tomorrow after my daughters birthday party with some friends will see how that goes.

As far as licensing, sorry to hear they couldn't include Killer Bunny anymore, but understandable with Killer Bunnies being a game and all.

I'll probably get the 2016 version eventually just for the Penguin, but I'm going to wait until the new Power Up is available to get that, while the base game is fun, I found the inclusion of the power up to make it over the top!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.