$30.00
Charles Domero
United States
flag msg tools
I'm not exactly sure this is the exact spot for this thread, hope so!

I've been living in Seattle for 6 years or so, i'm from the east coast where folks are a little warmer (the Seattle freeze is so real!). I'm super friendly when it comes to meeting other geeks, but i think the super friendly thing seems odd to other Seattle-ites who take quite some time to warm up sometimes.

I got into board gaming about 5 months or so ago and fell in love with the hobby. My gaming background prior to board gaming was video gaming, and some tabletop RPG experience (D&D with friends). Then my friends had me over for a game of Catan, and i got hooked, especially after i found Dungeon Crawler board games and similar card games. Most of my friends lives have kind of picked up and they don't have much time to game anymore so i'm looking for new friends!

I live in Seattle but have no problem commuting a bit if it means making new friends and playing games! Games I currently love;

Descent 2e
Legendary Marvel/Encounters
WarHammer Quest: Adventure Card Game
Champions of Midgard
Takenoko
Lord of the Rings: LCG
EPIC: The Card Game
Catan (only experienced with the base game though)
FlashPoint

Of course i'm more than happy to play anyone's games, but i tend to shy away from really heavy Euros. I enjoyed Glass Road, but Key Flower wasn't my cup tea for example.

Anyone out there looking for a new friend, or looking for one more for their gaming group? I will buy you beer!

Also, I am actively using meetup but still struggling to make friends from it or find good matches of genre when i meet to play with people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll find that there are quite a few gaming groups in Seattle and you might be better served by giving a general sense of where in Seattle you are

For example, I'm in Shoreline and regularly meet with a group in Bothell area. I'd also recommend (depending on your location, of course) Blue Highway's board game challenge - they play a game once a month and it's a great way to meet people. Next game is this Saturday at 630.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll second the Blue Highway recommendation. They're a smaller space as well, so it's a little easier to meet people there than the larger more chaotic places like the Moxes. They also have a pretty solid library of games you can play though, so it's no trouble to find games that strike you and your new friends' fancy. They do events pretty frequently, keep an eye on their calendar.

Personally I know I enjoy a round of LotR: LCG, though I haven't gotten too far into the expansions/adventures. Haven't done dungeon crawlers because the wife isn't really interested, but they're a style of game I think I'd enjoy. Seems like we might have some overlapping interests, so I'd be happy to meet up some time at one of the area cafes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kornhaus
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to check out Dragonflight, an annual gaming convention in Bellevue coming up in a couple of weeks.

http://wwwdrag.condemic.com/wp/

You'll meet people from all over the area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kokaly
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also thinking about a group, sent you a geekmail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Strait
United States
Federal way
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brother,
That is so True I moved here 4 years ago. I live in federal way End of King county. My place is right off a I-5 Exit.

More than welcome to send me a message. I am usually available Saturdays after 3pm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Stever
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We host a game day at our place on Bainbridge Island once a month. If you'd like to be added to the invite list, just shoot me your email.

--Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome! There are few areas as rich with board gaming opportunities than this area, I have no doubt you'll find more than enough groups to play games with.

Beyond the ideas mentioned below, check out Zulus boardgaming cafe in Bothell (their new website will give you details). It's intended to be a hospitable, welcoming place for anyone to find fellow gamers.

Card Kingdom. Top Notch
Around the Table in Lynnwood. Great food, great folks.
Mox Boardinghouse (Eastside). Higher end, but still decent.

Definitely consider Dragonflight.

semisonick wrote:

Also, I am actively using meetup but still struggling to make friends from it or find good matches of genre when i meet to play with people.

Out of curiosity, what was the biggest issue with using Meetup? Was it just the people you met didn't get along with you, or that they were into non-"board gamer" board games, etc? Just curious. I saw several meetup groups related to board games, but personally never delved into them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spear
United States
Marysville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think us Washingtonians are a shy, reclusive bunch due to the frequent cloud cover and road-raging inducing traffic!

I'm going to my first DragonFlight convention as well and would be happy to play just about any games if you want to coordinate some table time.

You my want to narrow down which part of the Seattle area you're in as well, I've been gaming for years and have lived here all my life and haven't heard of some of the suggestions others have made in response

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
squiffles wrote:
I think us Washingtonians are a shy, reclusive bunch due to the frequent cloud cover and road-raging inducing traffic!

I live on the east side and my commute to work is 15-20 minutes with minimal traffic problems.

I don't need an excuse to be a hermit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spear
United States
Marysville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You're lucky! My commute is 25 miles south to Bothell. I listen to entire episodes of The Dice Tower driving just to or from work!

If someone wants to volunteer to read the rules to all of my games in episodic podcast format in a calm and soothing voice I would become a patient and mild mannered commuter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Des Moines
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MartinStever wrote:
We host a game day at our place on Bainbridge Island once a month. If you'd like to be added to the invite list, just shoot me your email.

--Martin

I also am in Federal Way. We just moved here from Southern California almost a year ago. There is a local shop called Fantasium. I've played Magic there a few times, but haven't played board games there.

I get together with a Meetup Group called Gamerati. They are mainly in Tacoma and I go there once a week (Wednesday nights). That would be a bit of a drive if you're in Seattle proper, but I find that from Federal Way it isn't bad.

I love Blue Highway, and as stated above, their Board Game Challenge is a lot of fun. I'll finally be getting to go again, after having to stay away for two months! It is tomorrow evening.

Oh... I guess I'll chime in on the traffic thing... I commute an hour to downtown Seattle, 1/2 by car and the other 1/2 by Sounder. I enjoy it. Being from California, and being a traffic engineer, I find it cute that everyone here complains about the traffic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mind fire
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Charles,
sent you a geek mail.
I live in south Seattle (Columbia City)
War Games and RPG's are my thing
Lance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kornhaus
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
squiffles wrote:
You're lucky! My commute is 25 miles south to Bothell.

Hey Chris,

If you are close to the Bothell area, you should check out the Cheers Boardgames Meetup group. We meet every weekend at a Library, rotating between a few different ones in the area. I try to go every time they are in Bothell or nearby (Kirkland, Woodinville, Redmond).

https://www.meetup.com/Cheers-Boardgames/

There's also a group that meets twice a week at Zulu's in Bothell.

http://www.meetup.com/Third-Place-Gamers/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome to the Hobby and BGG!!

I would invite you to play but I am from the east side so it is a 4 hour drive to come to our gamenights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Spear
United States
Marysville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have worked in Bothell for 15 years and had no idea Zulu's was even there until I read about the fire last week. I'll check it out and have joined the meetup, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.