Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Not knowing much about the game, it already has 2 things going for it that make it a "1" on my wishlist.

1. Alf Seegert
2. Red Raven Games

That said, I'm also really digging the Forest vs. City theme. What kind of mechanisms will the game feature? What advantages and disadvantages will each player have to contend with? Can we see some components?

And most importantly...WHEN IS THE KICKSTARTER?!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the game description, two battles came to mind.

1. Avatar: The Game
2. Isengard: Saruman vs Fangorn Forest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
No Fern Gully?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knuckles29 wrote:
No Fern Gully?

I was going with movies I've actually seen. laugh

thumbsup to no kids (yet)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Risley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mb
He didn't go into much details, but Ryan compared it to Lost Cities when we interviewed him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jason, Josh, Travis, Mike and others--

Ah, excellent! It's great to read these responses, and I think you're right on with respect to the basic vibe of the game and the opposing sides involved.

That said, it's got some unique "Laukat-ish" (and I hope, "Seegert-esque") tweaks that affect both artwork and gameplay in nifty ways. We're working closely together to make sure that mechanics, theme, and illustrations are all "of a piece," and Ryan has taken my original design exciting new places as developer.

As for Avatar, or Isengard vs. Fangorn Forest, I'm a little weirded out because I hadn't really thought of that, even though I teach the film Avatar in my virtuality classes, and I'm teaching The Lord of the Rings starting this fall....

At any rate, the direction the theme has gone is strongly Ryan's (you'll be surprised when I talk about the *original* theme), and if I had to suggest one major inspiration, it would be Princess Mononoke.

The mechanics are all in place but I really want to wait till Ryan has completed the bulk of the artwork before I discuss it much further. That said, I do think Haven has some of the vibe of a Kosmos 2-player-style game (and yes, perhaps a *bit* of Lost Cities, though my game Musee is much more like Lost Cities than Haven is -- if anything I'd say that Haven feels to me more like a distant cousin to Battle Line). But unlike these games, Haven has a bit more of a direct-conflict vibe than many Euro-games. (I thought my wife would hate that aspect of the game. Turns out she really enjoys it, and trounces me regularly....)

Ryan has needed to get Near and Far prepared before we finalize Haven, so mid-August onward will see many exciting developments and updates.

Feel free to keep us on our toes by further inquiries down the road! I really appreciate that.

Thanks so much for your interest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
What advantages and disadvantages will each player have to contend with? Can we see some components?

Hi Jason -- when we have art to share, we'll talk about some of the advantages/disadvantages of different Creatures in the game. For now, let me confirm that many of the powers in the game are asymmetrical: the Forest possesses more defense- or nurturing-based powers, whereas the City embodies brute force.

As for the Kickstarter..... I don't know what the plans are here, actually. I'll leave that question entirely in Red Raven's court to discuss.

Thanks again for your good questions! You're making me eager to share the game with everyone. I appreciate your interest more than you might guess: I have been so busy writing for Near and Far and preparing for the August release of my game Heir to the Pharaoh (15 years in the making!) that Haven has felt far off. But now it's almost time to finalize it! Fun fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I'm also really digging the Forest vs. City theme.

You might want to try Nature of the Beast: Farm vs. Forest and Nature of the Beast: City vs. Suburb. You can play City vs. Forest (one deck each) with that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TimTix wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
I'm also really digging the Forest vs. City theme.

You might want to try Nature of the Beast: Farm vs. Forest and Nature of the Beast: City vs. Suburb. You can play City vs. Forest (one deck each) with that game.

Oooh -- cool. I need to play this! Thanks, TimTix!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfseegert wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
What advantages and disadvantages will each player have to contend with? Can we see some components?

Hi Jason -- when we have art to share, we'll talk about some of the advantages/disadvantages of different Creatures in the game. For now, let me confirm that many of the powers in the game are asymmetrical: the Forest possesses more defense- or nurturing-based powers, whereas the City embodies brute force.

As for the Kickstarter..... I don't know what the plans are here, actually. I'll leave that question entirely in Red Raven's court to discuss.

Thanks again for your good questions! You're making me eager to share the game with everyone. I appreciate your interest more than you might guess: I have been so busy writing for Near and Far and preparing for the August release of my game Heir to the Pharaoh (15 years in the making!) that Haven has felt far off. But now it's almost time to finalize it! Fun fun.

I can't wait to get Heir to the Pharaoh in a few weeks. I went all-in on that EGG Kickstarter and bought most of the full Alf collection - Musee, Cubist, and Fantastiqa. The Road to Canterbury is way too complex for my wife to even consider playing, otherwise I would have gotten that one too. Her favorite game right now is Dingo's Dreams, btw.

"Can we play the koala game, again?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
I can't wait to get Heir to the Pharaoh in a few weeks. I went all-in on that EGG Kickstarter and bought most of the full Alf collection - Musee, Cubist, and Fantastiqa. The Road to Canterbury is way too complex for my wife to even consider playing, otherwise I would have gotten that one too. Her favorite game right now is Dingo's Dreams, btw.

"Can we play the koala game, again?"

Hey, thanks -- I hope you enjoy them all!

I'm happy that Dingo and his friends (Koala especially) are having fun on your table. Hello and thanks to your wife for playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the theme, but I slightly worry that nobody (out of my gaming partners)would ever want to play the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool, and a VERY strong thematic resemblance to one of my all-time-favorite webcomics, Gunnerkrigg Court

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Risley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Elyklord wrote:
Very cool, and a VERY strong thematic resemblance to one of my all-time-favorite webcomics, Gunnerkrigg Court

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/

If it has Paz and Kat, I'll buy two copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Yes...I'm quoting myself. Alf, please feel free to call/drop in on Ryan at all hours of the night constantly asking him when is go time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
alfseegert wrote:
Ryan has needed to get Near and Far prepared before we finalize Haven, so mid-August onward will see many exciting developments and updates.

Anything new Alf? Ryan and Brenna should feel free to jump in here too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any word on this one? Still looks great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, everyone, for the long-delayed reply!

Haven is very much "in the pipeline" and we're all very excited as its development continues and approaches finalization. Ryan's epic (and I mean EPIC) new game Near and Far has (among other things) demanded most of Red Raven's attention in recent months, but Haven is now front-and-center again.

I can't wait to see Haven come alive with Ryan's artwork....

Haven has also had time to "marinate" and it's become the better for it.

Thanks for your patience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
alfseegert wrote:
Ryan's epic (and I mean EPIC) new game Near and Far has (among other things) demanded most of Red Raven's attention in recent months, but Haven is now front-and-center again.

That's good news times two!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
alfseegert wrote:
Haven is very much "in the pipeline" and we're all very excited as its development continues and approaches finalization. Ryan's epic (and I mean EPIC) new game Near and Far has (among other things) demanded most of Red Raven's attention in recent months, but Haven is now front-and-center again.

We've learned that (among other things) = Klondike Rush. This was a nice surprise from GAMA and I love to see the churn coming out of Red Raven.

Happy to hear that Haven is getting the attention and development time it deserves and can't wait to see what comes of it! Please Alf, let us know when to look for it as soon as you have a best guess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hansuvadha
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
Any updates on release date?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
thesinators wrote:
Any updates on release date?

I'd love to hear something as well, especially with the news that Klondike Rush got pushed back to the Fall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Whenever this thread pops up, I think (hope) the KS gets announced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Risley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TimTix wrote:

This one is supposed to be a direct release. No Kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MikeRisley wrote:
TimTix wrote:

This one is supposed to be a direct release. No Kickstarter.

Wasn't it Klondike Rush that was no KS? (I thought there was one game coming that KS was not used for - and that this game - after some speculation - turned out to be Klondike Rush.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.