Subject: Allegiance vs Epic ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Epic (and enjoy it) but it looks SO similar to Allegiance (minus the player characters) that I was wondering how fans would compare the 2 ? Or are they different enough that you'd play both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are very different.

Allegiance will play for a longer time.

Their complexity differences lie in the switch.

Allegiance's cards are easy to read and have no keywords, but the "when to play" cards functions as MTG's last-in-first-out.

Epic's cards are full of terminology, but the way you play out in a turn is rather simple. Sure, you can run into some trouble with group-vs-non-group interactions, but it's not that much of a biggie.

The feel is also different. In Allegiance, you play as a class character (Ninja, Vampire, Monk, Paladin) while in Epic you are often running a faction or maybe just a drafted hodgepodge. But, in Allegiance, you share the non-special units and maneuvers with your opponent. It's just a matter of who gets to draw them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, clear, and enlightening thoughts thank you! Which do you prefer and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
Great, clear, and enlightening thoughts thank you! Which do you prefer and why?

Hmmm...I'd like to pass that question to someone who's played them both more times than me.

I just have the nagging inkling that in both games, you are heavily subjected to the luck of the draw.

Up to a certain point, the skill matters, until a sort of stalemate happens or "waiting" game for that specific card to break the balance and rush the game to its end.

I think Allegiance is more aesthetically pleasant and it feels more like a board game than a card game, but Epic might be cheaper to get into (though I haven't bought expansions because I can't quite justify them yet.)

I'm willing to try Allegiance one more round with each character to figure out if its a mainstay in my library but frankly, both Epic and Allegiance do not fit my game group's wishes right now. Epic catastrophically failed with my girlfriend, and it wasn't the amount of cards, because she loves Innovation and Millennium Blades.

As always, YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Vézina
Canada
N-D-île-Perrot
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and have played both. I love Allegiance but despise Epic.

Epic is a watered down version of MTG (Magic the gathering) with no depth. It's super swingy and relies on luck more the strategy. The cards are completely imbalanced. Played it about 10 times and hated every game. We are 6 in our group and we all despise that game.

As for Allegiance, the addition of the player board makes a massive difference in game play. Each character plays completely different and adds tons of strategy. The art work is amazing and really helps with the immersion. Also, the 2 vs 2 is a blast as you pick character that synergies well.

These 2 games are made for people who have played and understand MTG well.

My recommendation is to toss Epic in the garbage and get your hands on Allegiance asap.

Epic: 0.5/10
Allegience a realm devided : 8.5/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WARNING: This post can be too long to read.

I played both EPIC card game and ALLEGIANCE and like the two of them. FYI, I have been playing this game with my friends copy for 16 or more times already. This may not be much as compared to others.

MY VIEW ON ALLEGIANCE
ALLEGIANCE is thematically rich, as said by previous posters, you can live through the game as a specific character with distinctive abilities. In addition, the game has high aesthetic value with thick cardboard to display the characters and respective abilities, glass beads, and many mini dices as well as having many varieties of card. It justify the high price point that the game is currently being offered in the market (although I had wished that I didn't missed the KS campaign).

Moreover, you have 10 hero characters plus 2 if you acquire the promo set. This gives you high degree of replayability as you can have 132 match-ups in one box. You will be having a lot of gameplay first to experience each character's abilities and then discover the dynamics against other hero characters.

Furthermore, the game come with the unique cool down mechanics which I don't see it in other 1vs1 player game although the cool down mechanics was already in existence from in some real-time combat video games.

Another plus point is that the game is so well designed with the characters being very much well-balanced without anyone being overpowered. They are, however, occasions where certain match-up can be more difficult for a particular hero. For example, the Elementalist can have problem against the Ninja due to his and his minions' abilities to ignore the effects of the first action cards or hero's ability targeted at them, Monk against the Ranger where the former often relies on his ability to deal damage and don't often play much units which give the Ranger a better idea of what trap to lay, Necromancer against Monk where the former has 0 armor, can have his cool down disrupted by the Monk to prevent him from raising dead some units and having his units exhausted which allow the Monk to initiate a barrage of attacks via his abilities. But with any 1vs1 card games, there often will some difficult match-up and I believe this is sometimes inevitable as this has also occurred in Summoner Wars and Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn which I played.

Kudos to designer and the playtesters for producing such elegant game.

It must be noted, however, that this game will still be subjected to the randomness of card draw. Sometimes, you or your opponent may just be able to draw the right unit and/or action cards which provide a lot synergy to the hero or the board state and you on the other hand is drawing 'crap'. I am not saying that some cards in Allegiance are lacking in utility (which I experienced with the expansions for my Living Card Games like Netrunner) and perhaps should be relegated to function as coaster to hold your drinks. It is that I find it to be frustrating of not being able to draw the cards that are useful at the particular moment of time. Sometimes tge cost is to high or the cards are ineffective to stem the tirade of aggressive attacks. Due to this, I sometimes I feel I don't have enough control over my gameplay.

My other qualm is the absence of opportunity for deck-building. But this is my personal bias as I often like to sit and contemplate how to build a deck before playing the game. My gaming buddy, however, prefer a game where you can immediately lay out the cards without having to crack your head to construct a deck.

Nevertheless, I do see potential for deckbuilding. May post up my ideas if I can get my hands on a copy of Allegiance. (Shipping fee is quite exorbitant for Asian buyers, unfortunately).

I find that this is a good game to invest in as it will provide you with a lifetime of enjoyment with the amount of replayability you can have. But it may not be so if you intent to play games with your girlfriend who dislike elements of confrontation and killing of each other units.

MY VIEW ON EPIC
On the other, I personally find EPIC plays well if you treat it as a quick filler. I do agree that in EPIC, it can be super swingy but to me and my gaming buddies we like that aspect of the gameplay as it keeps us on the edge. Also, to win the game, you cannot rely having the most units in the board as they can get wipe by some events that can remove those units. So it is the surprise factor of board removal that keep us intrigued in this game.

EPIC in my opinion does solve some of the issues that are being experienced in MTG like the problem with mana matching and management. Furthermore, it is an easy game where players can afford to buy into without having to chase after booster packs and encounter the randomness of card in your pack purchases.

Depending whether a person wants to get into some competitive deck building or play enough of EPIC card game to lead them in craving for newer experience, my suggestion is that if you are playing the game casually or on occasional basis, save your money and avoid buying the expansion. You need to play the game frequently enough or that you wish to enter into competitive play to warrant buying the expansion.

For me, another reason I like EPIC is the opportunity for players to play with different formats - drafting or constructed. I personally prefer to play constructed decks and have designed decklists which is more or less balance. You can download this from EPIC webpage on BGG.

My dislike with EPIC is that it doesn't come with enough champion tokens unless you buy multiple copies or receive the KS promo. It is a hassle to having print out some proxies.

CONCLUSION
However, in the end, I don't find that it can be a fair to compare EPIC and ALLEGIANCE because both play so differently despite being a (predominantly) 1vs1 card game. It is like comparing a Vespa and a Harley Davidson (not sure this is a good analogy). These two games scratch a different itch. If you want something fast and furious, go for EPIC. If you want a game with much theme and depth and don't mind the lengthy game (on average we finish a game in 1 and half hour) as well as the high price then choose ALLEGIANCE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rice
United States
Loveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'll weigh in squarely on the side of Allegiance.

Both are derived from Magic in some way, but veer down much different paths. I kickstarted both, but only really enjoyed Allegiance. Epic struck me as a simple game in the end, but one that required a lot of learning for to figure out the decks, abilities and balances to be struck. For a filler, it was going to take a lot of time, one that had to be met by your opponents. Otherwise you came away feeling; "what the heck should I have done. . .? I see the game as a huge improvement over the cash cow that Magic turned out to be for WotC. Despite that, I never felt the need to revisit the game that much.

With Allegiance, you still have all the learning going on, but you can latch on to specifics of "If I had only", or "when you. . . I should have. . ." And that makes the game fun. Epic seemed like an exercise, Allegiance like a game. Those I introduced to Epic were generally unimpressed, the Allegiance players inevitably asked to play again.

Epic is a quality product, just not for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Vézina
Canada
N-D-île-Perrot
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brighknight_216 wrote:

My other qualm is the absence of opportunity for deck-building. But this is my personal bias as I often like to sit and contemplate how to build a deck before playing the game. My gaming buddy, however, prefer a game where you can immediately lay out the cards without having to crack your head to construct a deck.

Totally agree with you. If there was a deck building option/variant would be incredible. I loved playing MTG, but I had a blast researching and building decks just as much as playing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.