The U.S. Civil War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Confederate LOC Full Supply rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The errata'd rules say that, to qualify a Supply Source for Confederates, the major production points (2+ build) have to have to have LOC to at least two other locations. Do you know if that means BOTH those locations have to be within the 4 distance from the source, or can it be a chain where only one is but that one connects to others?

Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the use of the term "LOC" in the rules can be confusing because it isn't rigorously defined. In this case though, the LOC is an any length path of unobstructed hexes between the two, not the 4-MP chain of depots that provides a Partial Supply LOC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Does that mean that a 2-point resource hex like Columbus doesn't count as a Supply Source, as it can only draw the 4-move path to one other resource hex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps I didn't explain it very well. There is no 4 movement point path restriction when determining if it can serve as a supply source. It just needs an unobstructed path to another supply source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ok thanks. So it's more like the unlimited LOC needed to avoid being Isolated?

Wow, the rules had me confused. They had me thinking that, apart from for Isolation, LOC always entailed the 4MP distance.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I went back and reviewed the rules and I think you were right and I was wrong. A couple of months back I had reread the rules cover to cover and noted anything I thought was unclear or might need to be reworded and I wound up with numerous questions related to LOC and when the 4 MP limit is used and when the unlimited hex path is used.

Now after having yet another read, I think I see that only in the case of 13.6.1 (related to Isolation and Surrender) is there any reference to an unlimited path vs the 4 MP limit. And in that rule, it does not use the term "LOC". It was easy for me to assume that rule referred to an LOC, but strictly speaking it does not. So I think that rule simply refers to a hex path of unlimited length (but restricted like an LOC). Everywhere else when an LOC is referenced, again, I think you are right that it must meet the full definition of LOC under 13.5.

To be fair to me a little, see bullet 4 under 13.1.2 which refers to "an LOC of any length (regardless of Depots)". If an LOC is by definition a network that includes connected depots within 4 MPs of each other, then an LOC of any length regardless of depots isn't an LOC. Also, see 15.5, 2nd bullet: "There must be an LOC between the starting and ending hexes." Here, LOC describes a connection between two hexes that may not involve a connection to any primary supply source which, per 13.5, you must connect to in order to have an LOC. And 17.2.5 presumably also does not require an LOC to connect to a Primary Supply source, but rather to connect to at least 1 Confederate SP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.