Subject: Card List for base set? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Branden Lee
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I bought a used copy of Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game in good condition, however it came with 200+ cards instead of the base 165... which is awesome (!) but how do I know which cards are from the original set vs. expansion?

Is there a list of all the cards and quantities that came with the base game and expansions? I don't want to accidentally buy an expansion that may be already in the box. Once you open a game or expansion there's no returning it...

Help! What cards are from what sets?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out cardgamedb.com. Their Call of Cthulhu section will allow you to sort by set, and you can first see what's not in the base set, followed by a search of those that aren't, so that you can find out what expansion you may have.

EDIT: Here's the Core Set to get you started:

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/CoC/CoCCards.html/_/core...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/callofcthulhu/call-of-ct...

Where it says "Choose a Set to Filter", select "Core".

You can also search for any other cards you have and find out where they originally came from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, each card has a little set icon that can used to distinguish which set a card comes from. This icon is located in the "Collector Info" box on the card - see page 5 of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branden Lee
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I created a "deck" of all the extra cards and I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at. All I can guess is that the previous owner bought a few random Asylum Packs (The Path to Y'ha-nthlei & The Horror Beneath the Surface) but not the full Summons of the Deep set. Is that correct? I only have 80 cards and not the full 120...

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/callofcthulhu/call-of-ct...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you have the original printings of The Path to Y'ha-nthlei and The Horror Beneath the Surface. These originally came with 40 card in a pack with card numbers ranging from 1 - 3 copies of each card. Later these were standardised to 60 card packs with 3 copies of each card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sapper_D wrote:
Looks like you have the original printings of The Path to Y'ha-nthlei and The Horror Beneath the Surface. These originally came with 40 card in a pack with card numbers ranging from 1 - 3 copies of each card. Later these were standardised to 60 card packs with 3 copies of each card.

Damon hit the nail on the head. Older printings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branden Lee
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Usually in games, older versions of cards are bad. Are these cards still playable with the newer printings and are they balanced? Even though tournament play is over, would they be considered "Standard" legal for play?

The only thing I really knew about this game was that a Core Set is super rare to find and when I saw it for $20 in great condition made it an insta-buy for me lol.

Thanks for all your help with this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These cards are absolutely usable and "legal" with no balance issues I'm aware of. The only downside to these packs is the weird card distribution, ie having only one copy of a card when three is desirable since that is the max number of any one card you can have in a deck - though if you have any doubts I'd be more then happy to take them off your hands whistle

EDIT: I'm referring to the Summons of the Deep packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even after the final expansions, many of the Core Set cards for this game continue to be valuable staples. Only a small handful were fully outclassed by later cards, and even those could be useful for creating deck reliability (i.e. supplementing the max 3 copies of a card with 2 or 3 more of a similar though inferior one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brandenlee wrote:
Usually in games, older versions of cards are bad. Are these cards still playable with the newer printings and are they balanced? Even though tournament play is over, would they be considered "Standard" legal for play?

Yes. Honestly, I'm not even sure what you're talking about. Maybe it's a CCG thing? All cards ever printed for Call of Cthulhu LCG are still good, there is no rotation or obsoleted cards or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.