Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so after a couple of abandoned starts with this system, I'm thinking about buying back in on a focused basis. What stopped me before was the idea of trying to get a sampling of sooo many different ships and pilots.

So now I'm thinking of buying with these criteria:
1) Enough ships for an interesting 2 player game with enough ships just in case there are 4 players.

2) Only X-Wing and Tie fighters (maybe some Y-Wing and Tie advanced thrown in if you need think that's needed for enough game play variety)

3) Use any pilots that I can get stats for without requiring official cards

So would this allow for interesting games? Worthwhile or not? I'm hoping that cycling through available pilots would help with the variety.

Your suggestions for a limited, at home, no tournament, non-expanding setup? I want the game at hand if it can have enough variety and interesting scenarios/play without going ALL IN.

Thank you for your assistance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the reason for limiting it to only X-Wing and TIE Fighter? I would think that having a little ship variety would be the biggest gain you could make to keep it interesting for repeated plays. That doesn't mean you have to go all-in, just maybe buy one Core plus a couple expansions for each side.

For instance on the Imperial side you might get an Imperial Veterans plus a blister of one other ship.

What do you have so far?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
What is the reason for limiting it to only X-Wing and TIE Fighter? I would think that having a little ship variety would be the biggest gain you could make to keep it interesting for repeated plays. That doesn't mean you have to go all-in, just maybe buy one Core plus a couple expansions for each side.

For instance on the Imperial side you might get an Imperial Veterans plus a blister of one other ship.

What do you have so far?

I mentioned adding in Y-wing and tie advanced (classic original ships) in case a bit of ship variety would be best. I'm open to types suggestions. However Im trying to limit types since a single fighter of a type or two in a large combat seems odd thematically. Six tie makes more theme sense than one of this and one of this etc....Personal quirk...theme over max power.

Starting from scratch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, well you kind of answered your own question.

2 Original (Red) core sets and 1 of each of the X-wing, TIE Fighter, TIE Advanced, and Y-Wing expansions is a good place to start.

Add to it from there as to what interests you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eon Chao
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
GamePlayer wrote:

I mentioned adding in Y-wing and tie advanced (classic original ships) in case a bit of ship variety would be best. I'm open to types suggestions. However Im trying to limit types since a single fighter of a type or two in a large combat seems odd thematically. Six tie makes more theme sense than one of this and one of this etc....Personal quirk...theme over max power.

Starting from scratch

The thing you'll find quite quickly is that you'll have just replicated the early meta game in which 6 TIE Fighters was incredibly strong (the optimum swarm was 7 I believe). In addition to that you'll find expansion fatigue will set in. I own 7 X-Wings and 9 TIE Fighters and have yet to buy the Gozanti class as it'd mean adding another two TIE Fighters to my collection whereas other expansions add more variety. That's why I love the depth added by the wide variety of ships added from the EU. Even if you just add B-Wings, A-Wings, TIE Interceptors, TIE Bombers and the Falcon you'll find it opens things up more especially for designing scenarios to play.

For me if I had to start again from scratch, I'd start with the original trilogy then expand to Rebels. After that I'd see what takes my fancy.

I'd be building towards this:
2x X-Wing original starter
1x X-Wing expansion
3x Y-Wing expansions
1x Millennium Falcon expansion
2x B-Wing expansions
2x A-Wing expansions
1x Rebel Aces expansion
2x TIE Fighter expansions
2x TIE Advanced expansions
2x TIE Interceptor expansions
2x Imperial Aces expansion
2x TIE Bomber expansions
1x Lambda Class Shuttle

After that I'd either add the Ghost and a couple of Inquisitor's TIEs or the Rebel Transport and Imperial Assault Carrier (for extra X-Wing and TIE options plus opening up epic play). After those I'd probably be looking into the Outrider and the Decimator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you would be fine to start with just X-wings and Tie Fighters. You could get something like 2 starter sets (for dice, damage decks, asteroids, and templates), which gives you 2 X-wings and 4 Tie Fighters. I would then probably get 2 more X-wings and 2-4 more Tie Fighters. You can play a lot of interesting games with that. There are missions and all sorts of things you can do. You will probably want to eventually throw in some Y-wings and some other Imperials for variety's sake. It's not a bad thing.

There are a lot of different pilots and upgrade cards that come in different expansions, but if you are playing at home, you can proxy these cards like crazy. Just print them out or whatever. Should be no problem.

One thing you should also look at is the Heroes of the Aturi Cluster campaign. It's a very contained way to play the game and a lot of fun. It's co-op and everyone only flies one ship. So, you fly either an X-wing or Y-wing. You would need the Imperial ships, which might broaden your collection more than what is listed here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eonchao wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:

Starting from scratch

The thing you'll find quite quickly is that you'll have just replicated the early meta game in which 6 TIE Fighters was incredibly strong (the optimum swarm was 7 I believe). In addition to that you'll find expansion fatigue will set in. I own 7 X-Wings and 9 TIE Fighters and have yet to buy the Gozanti class as it'd mean adding another two TIE Fighters to my collection whereas other expansions add more variety. That's why I love the depth added by the wide variety of ships added from the EU. Even if you just add B-Wings, A-Wings, TIE Interceptors, TIE Bombers and the Falcon you'll find it opens things up more especially for designing scenarios to play.

For me if I had to start again from scratch, I'd start with the original trilogy then expand to Rebels. After that I'd see what takes my fancy.

I'd be building towards this:
2x X-Wing original starter
1x X-Wing expansion
3x Y-Wing expansions
1x Millennium Falcon expansion
2x B-Wing expansions
2x A-Wing expansions
1x Rebel Aces expansion
2x TIE Fighter expansions
2x TIE Advanced expansions
2x TIE Interceptor expansions
2x Imperial Aces expansion
2x TIE Bomber expansions
1x Lambda Class Shuttle

After that I'd either add the Ghost and a couple of Inquisitor's TIEs or the Rebel Transport and Imperial Assault Carrier (for extra X-Wing and TIE options plus opening up epic play). After those I'd probably be looking into the Outrider and the Decimator.

Great, great list. I've started to notice more and more that unless I'm playing ESB bounty hunters, I fly almost nothing post wave III. Plenty of imperfections in those first few waves, but man, it seemed to have a lot more soul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the great list / road map. It also shows how quickly this game goes over $300. I know miniatures games cost more, and take more room to store, so that's part of why I'm mulling collection direction, size, and stopping point before that first step back in. Also, going with X-Wing rules out some other miniatures game choices.

One odd thing I'm considering is a X-wing starter with expansion x-wing and tie then a Force Awakens starter with an expansion of each ship. For at home play, I could then use the ships as-is or simply call their visual differences variants that don't significantly impact overall performance as an excuse to use all of them with either new or old pilots/stats. Flexibility plus Red and Blue squadrons

I really like the look of the inquisitor tie...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamePlayer wrote:
Thank you for the great list / road map. It also shows how quickly this game goes over $300. I know miniatures games cost more, and take more room to store, so that's part of why I'm mulling collection direction, size, and stopping point before that first step back in.

The best way to keep a lid on costs is to pick a faction. In most minis games this is assumed from the start, almost nobody would try to collect all factions for Warmachine or 40K.

Plano tackle boxes work well for storage and are not that expensive. This is the one I use for my Imperial collection:
https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Molding-5231-Organizer-Porsche/...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:
Thank you for the great list / road map. It also shows how quickly this game goes over $300. I know miniatures games cost more, and take more room to store, so that's part of why I'm mulling collection direction, size, and stopping point before that first step back in.

The best way to keep a lid on costs is to pick a faction. In most minis games this is assumed from the start, almost nobody would try to collect all factions for Warmachine or 40K.

Plano tackle boxes work well for storage and are not that expensive. This is the one I use for my Imperial collection:
https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Molding-5231-Organizer-Porsche/...

That is the main reason that minis games tend not to work for me. I want a playable set for home use. I like the idea of playing with a friend without them having to buy-in and playing with my children without x-wing vs x-wing. For Star Wars: X-Wing in particular, I doubt many people have only bought one side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamePlayer wrote:
That is the main reason that minis games tend not to work for me. I want a playable set for home use. I like the idea of playing with a friend without them having to buy-in and playing with my children without x-wing vs x-wing. For Star Wars: X-Wing in particular, I doubt many people have only bought one side.

X-Wing will work well for that scenario because if you only play at home you don't need to worry about having a large collection or having all the hot upgrade cards. Just buy a few ships you like for each side and you're done.

It's true that most people buy at least some ships from other factions, the way upgrade cards are packaged encourages this. But again, only for people who play more competitively. If you play at home then it doesn't matter so much whether you have all the upgrades and you can proxy anything you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.