Subject: Tiles and Movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question in regards to the map tiles.

They seem a little plain, with the exception of a couple of buildings which you end up placing cards on anyway. So, at this point, the tiles themselves don't seem to add anything to the game as far as I can see, except as abstract spaces/time you must move through to achieve your objective. It seems it could be a chess board and it would work just as well. Am I wrong? Or will there be tactical elements to moving around the board?

An example is Fireteam Zero or Galaxy Defenders among others, where miniature placement is important. Obviously, those are tactical dungeon crawls, but I'm wondering about movement and how tiles affect it.

Essentially, I don't know what these tiles provide aside from squares to place your miniatures? What will be the difference between tile A and tile D? The placement of the search deck or are there features on the tiles that you must consider when moving?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
I have a question in regards to the map tiles.

They seem a little plain, with the exception of a couple of buildings which you end up placing cards on anyway. So, at this point, the tiles themselves don't seem to add anything to the game as far as I can see, except as abstract spaces/time you must move through to achieve your objective. It seems it could be a chess board and it would work just as well. Am I wrong? Or will there be tactical elements to moving around the board?

An example is Fireteam Zero or Galaxy Defenders among others, where miniature placement is important. Obviously, those are tactical dungeon crawls, but I'm wondering about movement and how tiles affect it.

Essentially, I don't know what these tiles provide aside from squares to place your miniatures? What will be the difference between tile A and tile D? The placement of the search deck or are there features on the tiles that you must consider when moving?

The tiles are mostly aesthetic to convey the theme of the scenario (for example the woods, or the streets of Atlanta). The building placement is mixed up to provide variety in line of sight, etc. Other terrain features are added through special scenario rules (such as fire).

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question. I am not aware of anything like movement penalties based on terrain types, but I know that certain tiles have buildings.

To the best of my knowledge, you only get to search in buildings, and you can also only use barricades in buildings. So, in that regard a tile that is completely open provides less opportunities to stock up on equipment or hide from walkers.

I know that one of the base game scenarios involves trying to get into the CDC building, so I imagine certain scenarios make use of specific elements on the board (take X person to Y campsite, and that sort of thing).

I suspect the prison maps may have areas with limited movement (the tombs, perhaps?) which are more mazelike than the open farm tiles. But that's just a guess.

Other than that, I haven't got a clue.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the designer. I'll get my coat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Interesting question. I am not aware of anything like movement penalties based on terrain types, but I know that certain tiles have buildings.

To the best of my knowledge, you only get to search in buildings, and you can also only use barricades in buildings. So, in that regard a tile that is completely open provides less opportunities to stock up on equipment or hide from walkers.

I know that one of the base game scenarios involves trying to get into the CDC building, so I imagine certain scenarios make use of specific elements on the board (take X person to Y campsite, and that sort of thing).

I suspect the prison maps may have areas with limited movement (the tombs, perhaps?) which are more mazelike than the open farm tiles. But that's just a guess.

Other than that, I haven't got a clue.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the designer. I'll get my coat...

Yep, you can only search in buildings and barricades can only be placed on building walls. They are a great place to bunk up when you're getting surrounded and need to resupply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strayknife wrote:
Other terrain features are added through special scenario rules (such as fire).

Hope this helps

Good to know. This will factor into my final decision.

Thanks for answering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed it too -- just means I can more easily make a 3D gameboard for this game. (:

O scale is 28mm. HO is about half the size, but less expensive. Found a site with some village and farm buildings. Go chicken coop!

http://www.hobbylinc.com/model-railroad-buildings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gina Laurie
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you see the "crates, barrels, sacks"? Wonderful barricades!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.