Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Jong
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to the updated rulebook (http://avp.prodosgames.com/sites/avp.prodosgames.com/files/f...), including faction balancing and rules clarifications with updated points, stats, and skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gill
United Kingdom
Mansfield
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just need the revised cards now !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And... Anyone have any comments about the new rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwyn Chow
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Interesting new characters such as Aliens having Evolved Warrior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McHugh
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I'm still trying to get my k/s edition. Maybe when the 3rd rule set comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bare2theBone wrote:
Wow, I'm still trying to get my k/s edition. Maybe when the 3rd rule set comes out.

I'm sure when it does ship, it will ship with the updated rule book and updated cards.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noshrok Grimskull
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
Wreckers don't call for backup, they call for cleanup!
mbmbmbmb
8.3.1 Predator Ranged Weapons still lists the Gatling Plasma Caster as ROA 3, even though the stat summary just before that lists it as ROA 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Second edition rules for a game where I haven't even got all my figures that I paid for on day one. No thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Scharling
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Pretty nice changes, only exception is in the campaign. Where the predators only have 2 models now. And Aliens can use tail strikes as well to get highter ROA.

So it seems the predators have their work cut out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone can tell me if this is worth printing and (re-)reading.
I just checked the Turn Sequence flowchart on the last page and realized the still haven´t included that you have to resolve unused Sentry actions after all models have been activated.
Have other FAQs have been adressed, here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Scharling
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I havd a pretty basic question. Can you use ranged weapons, when you are on the same titel as your target. And how much would you get in modifiers? -2 or -10?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Carter
msg tools
It's up to you. My buddies and I play with a -10 modifier to shoot into your own tile, however we say special weapons like the flamethrower and smart disc cannot target models on their own tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:
Bare2theBone wrote:

I'm sure when it does ship, it will ship with the updated rule book and updated cards.

devil

That's what I'm hoping too. Mind you - mine is taking so long because I wanted all the models that hadn't even been designed yet, let alone approved and printed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brittain
msg tools
mb
I haven't played the game, but I was really hoping they were going to change the facehuggers, they should just be suicide units that remove themselves and the targeted model from the game if the target fails its constitution test. I mean I don't remember the gestation period lasting 2 seconds in any of the movies, just seems a bit dumb that a free alien pops out immediately and if you manage to collar a predator you get a Predalien worth 70pts.

Also had a quick gander at the points costs in the v2.0 rulebook its had a pretty extensive overhaul. For example the Alien Queen now only costs 97pts whereas in the v1.2 rulebook she was 275pts in fact the alien faction has had pretty major points reductions all round. hopefully this is a good sign that the rules have been properly play tested this time *fingers crossed*.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gestation seems to take hours in the movies-
They travelled on foot in rough terrain and bad weather after discovering Kane unconscious - then did some experimentation, and then discovered it had fallen off overnight - and were having breakfast in the first movie.

In the second, presumably the colonists were done in stages, otherwise there would have been no chest burster for the marines to see by the time they got there (they had some form of cryo/stasis sleep for the long trip out to the planet - which implies days to months)

Third movie - unknown time for the dog as it was a montage.

Fourth movie - again the crew had time for at least one meal break.

The only time it's faster seems to be in the AVP movies, but it's been a while since I saw them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The AvP movies it was almost instant. And thus, it was instantly silly...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Carter
msg tools
In the movies you can generally assume 24 -48 hours of gestation since "movie magic" makes it really hard to determine time frames if they are not expressly stated. Plus in the first movie after the alien "hatches" the crew manage to create effective makeshift flamethrowers and a motion tracker which you could assume would probably take them a day or two at least. So the alien took around 2-4 days to grow into the Infant alien. Assuming that it takes roughly the same amount of time for the alien to mature, you are looking at roughly a week for an alien to become an adult warrior.

With this being said you need to realize that this is a BOARD GAME, not a movie or video game! I think we can forgive them for fudging the details a little bit so that the game play is fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jake carter wrote:
With this being said you need to realize that this is a BOARD GAME, not a movie or video game! I think we can forgive them for fudging the details a little bit so that the game play is fun!

Very true - and without unrealistic production times, there would never be a genre of Real Time Strategy (RTS) - either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here's a rules summary:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1615445/version-20-rule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwyn Chow
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
The mechanic in the Legendary Encounters Deck Building game for facehuggers was well done. For those who don't know how it works, the player gets a card with a chestburster put in their discard pile. Inevitably, that deck of of cards will be shuffled, reused and the chestburster card will come out - the player dies.

AVP would be better if there wasn't an instant death. The player lives 5 or 10 turns then has to roll a dice. Make the passing dice roll harder each turn until they cannot pass. Then Prodos can sell chestburster minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
west yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar
well in Prometheus which was before alien/aliens etc...when the "thing in the room" attacked and dragged the engineer into the room it wasn't long before we had a early stage alien hitting the floor!!...[puts his professor voice on]...the acceleration of mutation and growth depends on the actual environments and the actual beings morphing together

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley T
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tootz wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar
well in Prometheus which was before alien/aliens etc...when the "thing in the room" attacked and dragged the engineer into the room it wasn't long before we had a early stage alien hitting the floor!!...[puts his professor voice on]...the acceleration of mutation and growth depends on the actual environments and the actual beings morphing together

That wasn't really an "alien" alien, though. Remember, the derelict from the original Alien had been there for possibly millennia before the Nostromo happened upon it. The crew even comments that the space jockey (now retconned to be an engineer) appeared to be fossilized. If the two are related, the Prometheus thing is a newer "experiment" and observations of it has no bearing on the former.

The "acceleration" you described is more likely due to poor editing/pacing in later movies due to Fox choosing to target younger audiences in a cash grab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.