Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.asmodee.us/en/news/2016/7/29/the-most-magnificen...

Finally. the artwork on some of the originals was outstanding, and some of them were so bad they made me cringe. Don't know who approves art sets, but they dropped the ball on a few of those. These all look great though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bacher
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
Okami
mbmbmbmbmb
To each his own, I guess. I liked the old artwork fine. I'm not a fan of the cartoony style of these new ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar Arnason
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbacher wrote:
To each his own, I guess. I liked the old artwork fine. I'm not a fan of the cartoony style of these new ones.

I agree. The old style was inconsistent, but much better than the IELLO-ish new style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Munch
Denmark
Højbjerg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Love both the old and the new artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
But this contains so much more than just new art: 9 completely new characters, and some of the old characters are revamped. The same goes for the unique/purple buildings; some are new, some have been adjusted, and a few are no longer in the game.

And there are other changes too, that I'm sure many people will like.

It's not just a new skin. I have the old edition (and love it), but I'll still get this new edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Plank
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the old artwork, but the new art isn't too bad either. I really wish the new 9 characters would be made available in some way to those who own the old version of the game, but I'm really doubting they will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's going to be difficult to get the new character since they have chance some of the old onse aswell. The Tax Collector is now a rank 9 character, which means that there is another rank 2 character. And all the cards are much larger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I love the dark art of the original, it's why I bought it. Don't care for the new art at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
it's why I bought it.

Hmm, really, you bought a game as an Art investment? Nothing to do with the game itself?

I'm the type of person who won't buy a game because of super ugly art, but I can't imagine buying a game just to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the art of the original, and so when clicking on the link I was expecting the worst based off some of the comments in this thread. However, I was pleasantly surprised. I think the new art is awesome. I like it a lot. I won't buy a new version just for the art. But if new purple cards and revamped characters make the game better, I would have no problem doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, there it is. The Standard Kickstarter Art.

Boring and uninspiring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
But if new purple cards and revamped characters make the game better, I would have no problem doing so.

It does IMO. I've had the pleasure of beta-testing this, and I would recommend this over the old version, purely based on the game play. I personally prefer the old art, but I guess I can't have the best of both worlds.

And it's not just revamped districts/characters, but also some rules changes, Small changes but all improving the gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew someone would complain about the art as soon as it was announced. Not because I think it's bad but because it's different. The new art is certainly more cohesive, and I think I like it more. It doesn't have anyone being eaten by crows which is an improvement my opinion.

I also beta tested and agree with Lars that this version is better gameplay wise than the old. The new characters are good as they give more choices and variability. It's also easier to speed up the game when playing with more players (there are more characters who can build multiple districts and a few more cheap purple districts). For me Citadels has gone up at least one rating point, maybe 2 with the new version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
I knew someone would complain about the art as soon as it was announced. Not because I think it's bad but because it's different. The new art is certainly more cohesive, and I think I like it more. It doesn't have anyone being eaten by crows which is an improvement my opinion.

I also beta tested and agree with Lars that this version is better gameplay wise than the old. The new characters are good as they give more choices and variability. It's also easier to speed up the game when playing with more players (there are more characters who can build multiple districts and a few more cheap purple districts). For me Citadels has gone up at least one rating point, maybe 2 with the new version.

For those who have beta tested - can you share some thoughts on the downtime? Is there anything to do when its not my turn?

What are the best player counts now, and does it scale better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
For those who have beta tested - can you share some thoughts on the downtime? Is there anything to do when its not my turn?

Unfortunately that part hasn't changed, you still sit around twiddling your thumbs, or try to make the Warlord pick somebody else by social shenanigans.

Quote:
What are the best player counts now, and does it scale better?

I've always preferred Citadels as a 2-3 player game, and that part hasn't changed for me.

But the game seem to play a bit quicker now than before, so I find it play OK with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's great that they're reprinting this classic, and I love the new art. But...

You know what I love about my current copy of Citadels? It's small. I can chuck it in my backpack with a minimum of fuss and take and play it anywhere. That new box looks a little too big...

You can't please everyone, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The downtime is the same, if that was an issue with the old version it'll still be an issue with the new version. To me it felt like there was less downtime but there are four possible factors: new shiny version is not interesting, I was recording stats in some of the games (as part of the playtest process), games can be quicker with the new version, people I play with have sped up.

There are no huge changes, it's still Citadels but there are lots of small things which make it better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
birdman37 wrote:
That new box looks a little too big...

I'd expect the box to be bigger and the game components to take up slightly more space because the character cards are larger (see the first image). If you want the new version you could always keep the old version as a travel edition or use a mix of old & new components to make a travel edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The character cards are bigger, while the rest of the cards are the same size. The difference can be seen clearly on https://www.asmodee.us/en/games/citadels/

There are also tokens for each character, but they are not strictly needed, but for new players they are very handy, especially once we convinced the publisher to print the title of the characters on the tokens.

In addition a few of the new characters uses tokens for their powers.

But I'm sure I can still fit it all in the old if I'm bringing it on vacation.

I'm sure the main reason for upping the size of the box is sales. Small boxes take up less space, but also tend to sell less than bigger boxes. At least that's what my FLGS tells me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say I like the art on the districts. I like the graphic design on the coins.
However I am not a fan of the characters at all. They have a shadow of the personality that the originals have in my oppinion.

We love Citadels at my table but the character art definitely has me on the fence. I will wait to see all of the art before buying this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game, but the old version was getting a bit outdated. I'm glad there's finally a revision of this game, and looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love the original.

I'll pick this version up too, even though seems unnecessary and carrying suspiciously PC take, but oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Designer comments from Faidutti: http://faidutti.com/blog/?p=6048 (English at the bottom)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, I always like designer comments.

It includes pictures of a couple of new cards not previously spoiled + names of all the new characters too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note there are actually two new versions: Citadels classic had the 8 original characters, a few dark city purple districts and the original art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.