Grand Austria Hotel» Forums » General

Subject: Trading Resources Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Robertson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I posted a few days ago regarding my frustration with the lack of resources (wine, coffee, streudel, cake) that seem to come out in a lot of my initial games so far. Think I might have a rule addition that could make things a bit more flexible. Wanted to get some feedback.

Essentially, the "six" die action would now enable you to trade resources (as well as act as a "wild"). To trade resources, you would still have to pay a dollar, but could then trade resources on a 2:1 scale (two "cheap resources--wine or streudel--for one "expensive" resource--coffee or wine).

For example, I need a coffee and have two wine. I could pay one dollar, and exchange my two wine for one coffee. Or, if I needed two wine and had one coffee, I could do the opposite. Same for streudel/cake.

For each die in the six column, you can receive that many resources. So if there are three dice, you couldn't trade two coffee and receive four wine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify, for each die in the six column, you are allowed to make one 2:1 trade, correct?

Also, are you suggesting that trades can only be between resources of the same column? In other words, cake and streudel can be exchanged for each other, or wine and coffee can be exchanged, but not two cakes for coffee (for example)?

This sort of trading is clearly a game mechanism, not really thematic. But it would release a small bit of tension in the game. I like the idea. However, some people may prefer that the game include the potential tension of resource scarcity.

I've only played once. I would want to play several more times under the original rules before deciding whether the game needs a variant like this. Thanks for sharing the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Robertson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Yes, you would trade resources within the same column (only wine for coffee or vice versa). And yes, number of die represents how many 2:1 trades you can do (you said it much better than I did).

As for theme, I would say it represents a waiter returning an "incorrect" order to the kitchen ("Hey! Table 6 wanted cake, not streudel!").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.