Subject: Expansion compatibilty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I've read a few posts here and I'm none the wiser regarding my question

Not so long ago (even though I've yet to play it) I bought ToI: Next Wave core set thinking that it was just an updated version of the previous base set and then bought the expansion Fury of the Bear but now after reading some stuff, is Fury of the Bear an expansion for the Next Wave core set?

Or is it an expansion for the original Tide of Iron game? Also how do the Days of the Fox, Stalingrad and Normandy expansions figure into all this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Thomas
Germany
Riedstadt
flag msg tools
mb
Hey there,
I own Toi:Next wave and every Expansion and have Played them all. I did Not encounter any compatibility issues with Toi:next wave and any of the expansions. Some of the expansions were released before next wave came out, but they are compatible with the next wave core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for this info which means I can get the other expansions, even though After the Fox is pretty expensive.

Is there a general consensus on the best game in the series or are they all pretty much on the same level? Or does it just come down to which theater of operations a person likes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next Wave, produced by 1A Games, is an updated version of the original FFG base game and remains fully compatible with everything else ToI. The rules are much cleaner (now in three booklets) and many of the scenarios were redone for better balance. Some of the bits changed as well, for example NW has a few fewer Tiger tanks and US M-10 TDs were added. Other than minor changes like that the game is the same. You can see the full run down of everything improved by 1A here on this forum. Next Wave is fully compatible with all ToI expansions. Note: 1A was around long enough to reprint the base game (NW) but also the Stalingrad expansion. Then something happened with the licensing of the game (I'm not really sure what) and all the rights to Tide of Iron and all product was returned back to Fantasy Flight Games.

If you're on Facebook there's a group named Tide of Iron Fans. (I'm one of the Admins.) Check it out and fire away with any questions. The guys there are great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the expansions will work with newer Tide of Iron: Next Wave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawn Raider wrote:
Thanks for this info which means I can get the other expansions, even though After the Fox is pretty expensive.

Is there a general consensus on the best game in the series or are they all pretty much on the same level? Or does it just come down to which theater of operations a person likes?

Yes!! Get the other expansions. And yes it comes down to what interests you more. My personal favorite is Normandy, but they're all good. FotB has in the past probably received the most criticism because many of the scenarios are considered unbalanced. But there are many fan made scenarios that are great and hey, you get winter boards and Russians. Check them out in the Files sections of the various expansion forums.

The NA expansion is Days of the Fox (DotF). It's expensive because it's OOP and won't ever be reprinted again. (Or at least highly unlikely given everything is back to FFG.) The other expansions are all readily available from various sources (CoolStuffInc, Amazon, etc.).

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.