Subject: What if I don't have the 1st edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Devin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Am I going to be missing out on a bunch of content due to the ability to add 1st edition monsters, investigators, and tiles to the 2nd edition? 1st edition is already hard to get ahold of at a reasonable price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracolichking wrote:
Am I going to be missing out on a bunch of content due to the ability to add 1st edition monsters, investigators, and tiles to the 2nd edition? 1st edition is already hard to get ahold of at a reasonable price.

The core 2e box comes with all the monsters and investigators from 1e. The catch is you lack the minis, but -- at least for the monsters -- 33 tokens are included to represent them (ala Arkham/Eldritch monsters). You'll lack the tiles from 1e, but we still don't know how cool the incorporation of those will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Yes, but it's likely to be re-released in some form or another, or they'll release so many expansions that effectively offer the same thing you won't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
CO
flag msg tools
Deano2099 wrote:
Yes, but it's likely to be re-released in some form or another, or they'll release so many expansions that effectively offer the same thing you won't care.

Agreed. Fantasy Flight will give you plenty of 2e content to spend your money on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Dracolichking wrote:

The core 2e box comes with all the monsters and investigators from 1e. The catch is you lack the minis, but -- at least for the monsters -- 33 tokens are included to represent them (ala Arkham/Eldritch monsters). You'll lack the tiles from 1e, but we still don't know how cool the incorporation of those will be.

not having the minis is a bummer but not a huge issue. The biggest form of variety/replayability will come from the app not the addition of the the 1st ed stuff. One thing we have learned through the RTL app is that the app enables FFG to create new/unique content with relative ease and frequency compared to printed material. I think this will be even more so the case for MoM 2nd because the game was always about the ambiance and unique story of each mission. So each scenario may utilize the same components, for the most part, but they will feel radically different because of the puzzles and unique objectives.

So I suspect that the biggest source of variety will come from what they release within the app, not what's added via expansions or 1st ed. stuffg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same position as the OP. Didn't realize there would be cardboard tokens for the 1st ed. monsters. That's great! I can live with that until they bring out the expansions for me to throw money at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
murteas wrote:
I'm in the same position as the OP. Didn't realize there would be cardboard tokens for the 1st ed. monsters. That's great! I can live with that until they bring out the expansions for me to throw money at.

I don't think this it true at all. The cards for info are included but ffg has made it pretty clear you need to tell the app you have 1st ed to use this content, so you probably need at least the tiles as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceLGL wrote:
murteas wrote:

I don't think this it true at all. The cards for info are included but ffg has made it pretty clear you need to tell the app you have 1st ed to use this content, so you probably need at least the tiles as well.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23284945#23284945

The tokens will be in the box, as will the investigators, but it is indeed possible FFG will lock new owners out of the content by not allowing one to omit the tiles. It really depends on how granule the process is. You could be correct.

... but, if that were the case, then why inflate the cost of the core set by forcing the conversion kit into the base? Anybody familiar with business knows high prices act as a disincentive, and one always aims to grow their install base (new users should be a larger set than existing users). To include content entirely useless to new players doesn't seem a smart move, and certainly a touch dimmer than FFG normally goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
Anarchosyn wrote:

The tokens will be in the box, as will the investigators, but it is indeed possible FFG will lock new owners out of the content by not allowing one to omit the tiles. It really depends on how granule the process is. You could be correct.

... but, if that were the case, then why inflate the cost of the core set by forcing the conversion kit into the base? Anybody familiar with business knows high prices act as a disincentive, and one always aims to grow their install base (new users should be a larger set than existing users). To include content entirely useless to new players doesn't seem a smart move, and certainly a touch dimmer than FFG normally goes.

The all or nothing approach is consistent with RtL and their description of the MoM app. Also if these were generally usable I doubt they would be advertised as just a conversion kit.

The cost of these components will be pretty small, having a seperate kit week probably cost them more. They can also do this and still lock people out because of the app, which wasn't an option before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Carr
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That will really stink if you have to have all the components rather than just proxy in other miniatures for monsters and investigators. Mainly because the expansions Call of the Wild and Forbidden Alchemy are out of print, impossible to find, and probably never going to be produced by FFG again, making those features forever unattainable. I guess I should rejoice that I have the 1st edition game but how I wish I had those two expansions too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Coberly
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
I think the app will allow you to select what you do own. The Descent App allows you to select the amount of commitment you have put in. Thus, it will not use elements that you don't own.

If this 2e includes a conversion kit, then I assume the base app will only support those elements. It will probably include an option to select the amount of content you own from the previous game.

Luckily, I've purchased the expansions as they were released. As I didn't want to have experience of paying top dollar for an expansion again. I did that with Doom, will not do that again. I'm a bit behind in Descent, but that game is uber popular for them, so I can hold off a bit on it. Though, I will have to plunk down the cash soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't make sense to me that they would include markers for 1st Ed. monsters & investigators if you can't play without the tiles. If I have the tiles from 1st ed. I should have the mini's as well, so why would I need the markers? I'm betting you can tell the app you do not have the 1st ed. tiles and still play with the markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
It doesn't make sense to me that they would include markers for 1st Ed. monsters & investigators if you can't play without the tiles. If I have the tiles from 1st ed. I should have the mini's as well, so why would I need the markers? I'm betting you can tell the app you do not have the 1st ed. tiles and still play with the markers.

The abilities are most certainly different than first edition, the combat system is not the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we sure there are no monsters in the box? Are these monsters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:

Yes, those are monsters. There are 24 monster tokens and 24 monster miniatures in the box. We're talking about the conversion kit, which purports to add 33~ more, but just as tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
venrondua wrote:

Yes, those are monsters. There are 24 monster tokens and 24 monster miniatures in the box. We're talking about the conversion kit, which purports to add 33~ more, but just as tiles.

But wouldn't that be because those who would use the conversion kits would already have mini's from their first editions?

I feel like I'm missing something
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
venrondua wrote:

But wouldn't that be because those who would use the conversion kits would already have mini's from their first editions?

Precisely. All will be made clear with the next preview (on Monday), but your point of confusion is precisely why I hope FFG intends for the monsters to be playable by all (otherwise why include the tokens at all? Never mind the larger issue of why include the conversion kit for all, raising the base cost for only a minority gain).

Still, we won't know till Monday for sure (hopefully -- the next preview is aimed squarely at the conversion kit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
BruceLGL wrote:
murteas wrote:

Considering FFG's pricing for other similar products, I imagine they included the CK in the box "for free" (i.e, the price wouldn't have been different even if they hadn't included the CK - you would have just to have paid an extra $20 if you *did* want the CK).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
venrondua wrote:

The minis are not the important part. The tokens in the base of the minis are the important part (i.e, the part that is mechanically important rather than just window dressing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
shadowsclassic wrote:

The markers are different. You'll have remove your old 1E markers from the bases and put in the new ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without the first edition you parctically can throw away the conversion kit, because most likely you can only select that you own the first edition or not and if you do, tiles from the 1ed will spawn randomly.

If that's the case, I will have to pass on this game, I don't let FFG force me to buy components I can't use and I'm guessing the huge amount of cardboard tokens add a lot to the price of the game (design costs and more expensive shipping, because of more weight).

First of all I was all like: Wow... 100$ really? then I read this game will have over 30 different monsters (with the conversion kit) a lot of heroes and map-tiles and thought, ok that's fair. But since you have to buy the 1ed to be able to really use what's in the 100$ game, I completely lost interest. I Never have seen my hype drop that fast for an FFG game, but imo they drove it into the ground with 100$ price for a non-license game and a good chunk of content I can only use when I buy the 70$ first edition (which makes this effectivly a game with less content than Descent for a higher price).

I really despise dissipation and this game awakes this kind of despise for this product 1 day after it's announcement, what a pity, I'm really a fan of FFG games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
Without the first edition you parctically can throw away the conversion kit, because most likely you can only select that you own the first edition or not and if you do, tiles from the 1ed will spawn randomly.

This would be quite a stupid designer's move, if so. I don't see such superficiality coming from FFG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:

If that's the case, I will have to pass on this game, I don't let FFG force me to buy components I can't use and I'm guessing the huge amount of cardboard tokens add a lot to the price of the game (design costs and more expensive shipping, because of more weight).

First of all I was all like: Wow... 100$ really? then I read this game will have over 30 different monsters (with the conversion kit) a lot of heroes and map-tiles and thought, ok that's fair. But since you have to buy the 1ed to be able to really use what's in the 100$ game, I completely lost interest. I Never have seen my hype drop that fast for an FFG game, but imo they drove it into the ground with 100$ price for a non-license game and a good chunk of content I can only use when I buy the 70$ first edition (which makes this effectivly a game with less content than Descent for a higher price).

I really despise dissipation and this game awakes this kind of despise for this product 1 day after it's announcement, what a pity, I'm really a fan of FFG games.

There are still 24 monsters. You are just getting a handful of extra tokens for "free".

But yeah feel free to not buy it.

FFG really can't win here it seems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
lfisher wrote:
FFG really can't win here it seems.

I agree. I can't understand how people are getting so upset over getting ~$2 worth of extra cardboard they can't use included. Next thing people will be complaining about the extra cardboard that is wasted after punching out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
I don't let FFG force me to buy components I can't use

This is the funniest/dumbest thing I've read all day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.