Riihimäki
flag msg tools
Disclaimer: Not an actual cat
badge
50 Shades of Fur
mbmbmbmbmb

Page 11 of the rules says:

Official rulebook wrote:
Move up to 2 different units you control (character, worker, or mech) from one territory to one adjacent territory.

Official rulebook wrote:
If your character and/or mech move into a territory controlled by an opponent's character...

We played so that for each move icon, we picked a unit (from anywhere) and moved it to an adjacent territory. However, the wording of the rules leads me to suspect that we may have played this incorrectly - the correct way being picking a single territory and moving up to the number of move icons worth of units from there to an adjacent territory as a single move. How else could we have a mech and a character in an attacking move, as mechs can't carry characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thinsilver wrote:

Page 11 of the rules says:

Official rulebook wrote:
Move up to 2 different units you control (character, worker, or mech) from one territory to one adjacent territory.

Official rulebook wrote:
If your character and/or mech move into a territory controlled by an opponent's character...

We played so that for each move icon, we picked a unit (from anywhere) and moved it to an adjacent territory. However, the wording of the rules leads me to suspect that we may have played this incorrectly - the correct way being picking a single territory and moving up to the number of move icons worth of units from there to an adjacent territory as a single move. How else could we have a mech and a character in an attacking move, as mechs can't carry characters?

You played it correctly -- you pick up to 2 (or 3, if upgraded) units and move them individually from anywhere.

However, you could CHOOSE to pick them both from the same location. You could move a mech from territory A to territory B, and a character from territory A to territory B, and then your move action would end and the combat would start with both your units in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
Disclaimer: Not an actual cat
badge
50 Shades of Fur
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
However, you could CHOOSE to pick them both from the same location. You could move a mech from territory A to territory B, and a character from territory A to territory B, and then your move action would end and the combat would start with both your units in it.

Ah, that would make sense. We just thought that combat would trigger right away when the first unit arrives at an unfriendly territory. Thanks for the clarification.

EDIT: Silly me, it actually says "After you've completed your Move action...", which naturally refers to the whole action instead of a single move. This one is on me, seems that I can't read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinsilver wrote:
Ah, that would make sense. We just thought that combat would trigger right away when the first unit arrives at an unfriendly territory. Thanks for the clarification. :)
Just to make sure things are super-clear, the following is also valid:

Situation: Hex B is adjacent to both Hex A and Hex C, and contains an opponent's character and/or 1 or more of their mechs.

Move action, part 1: Move your character from Hex A into Hex B.
Move action, part 2: Move your mech from Hex C into Hex B.

Combat ensues when the entire move action is complete, at which point you have a character and a mech both fighting whatever units the opponent already had in Hex B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've played Scythe three times now, and we have always picked individual destinations for each unit when there are multiple move actions (sometimes the same destination hex, but often different). It sounds like you are under the impression that you have to choose exactly one destination hex for all movements in a turn. I am skeptical about this ruling - does anyone else have light to shed?

I just want to make sure I'm playing right - this would be a much different game than I've been playing if there was such a limitation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:
So, I've played Scythe three times now, and we have always picked individual destinations for each unit when there are multiple move actions (sometimes the same destination hex, but often different). It sounds like you are under the impression that you have to choose exactly one destination hex for all movements in a turn. I am skeptical about this ruling - does anyone else have light to shed?

I just want to make sure I'm playing right - this would be a much different game than I've been playing if there was such a limitation.

Who are you referring to, the OP or someone else above?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hahma wrote:
logris wrote:

Who are you referring to, the OP or someone else above?

The plural "you" - this whole thread. Maybe more so the OP... but nobody refuted his conclusion about a single destination territory. That was just background though. My question is:

Can you move a unit (mech, worker, character) from Hex A to Hex B, and another unit from Hex C to Hex D?

I'm pretty sure the answer is, "Yes," but I need to double-check after rereading this thread multiple times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.