$5.00
$20.00
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious if anybody here has experience with both of these. Is it a blow out in Descent's favor, or are there qualities that Wrath brings to the gaming experience that Descent lacks?

I own Wrath, but am considering Road to Legend (no Descent 2E products owned, as of yet).

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the amount of depth you enjoy playing, and how much you are willing to invest in either one...in the case of Descent, there are insane amounts of expansioms, heroes + monster packs, and lieutenants available to vary up the game, both in terms of maps and enemy mechanics. On top of that, you can level up your characters as you play, which feels very rewarding.

When it comes to WoA, many would say the base set is "it", insofar as being all you get. However, one can expand the monster and tile pool by purchasing other Adventure System sets, or expand solely the monster pool by adding Dungeon Command sets, which have cards for the monsters that make them compatible with WoA. On top of that, users like Ninjadorg and others have created large amounts of extra content in order to spice up your existing D&D Adventure System games...everything from quest cards to room cards (cards with events or effects tied to specific room tiles), to user-created adventures with specific scenario-based rules/stories/handicaps/win conditions.

I have them both and love them both for different reasons...Descent is a bit more "think-y", with slightly deeper choices to make, as well as deeper customization. D&D Adventure System games like WoA are a bit simpler, mechanically speaking, but still unpredictable fun, If you are like me and like to collect lots of expansions and things that aren't completely necessary, then Descent is still a-growing. WoA, on the other hand, can grow as much or as little as you want it to, despite its simplicity. If you're all about saving money, look to expand upon WoA (I assure you it's still one of my favorite titles), but if you'd prefer a deeper experience both in the gameplay and in the collection phase, Descent is for you. Neither is a bad choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Rad
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also forgot to add that there are leveling character sheets for the D&D games, as well. You just have to do some hunting here on BGG, as unlike Descent, the D&D games don't come with as much depth out-of-the-box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with deeth82.
I would add - but that is a subjective opinion - that D&D did a bad work on the aesthetical side of things.
Item cards don't even have a picture of the object you pick up : just in plain text.
The colours are reduced to one colour per card type.
The tiles are functionally good, but ugly and boring to look at.
Some consider that those elements perpetuate the paper and pencil RPG origins of D&D.

I prefer - with a good game system - Descent and its lavish cards and beautiful map tiles.
It makes a difference to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree they could have done a much better job on the tiles, or provided additional 'dungeon furniture' components to spice things up. However I prefer the clean design of the other components. Descent's graphic design and art is slightly amateurish in comparison, at least what I have seen. Maybe the newer releases are better as fantasy flight have gotten a lot better in recent years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm rather set in my ways I guess, but for me it comes down to familiarity. I think Decent looks awesome, but I prefer the monsters, classes, spells, etc. that I grew up with in the D&D world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowsclassic wrote:
I'm rather set in my ways I guess, but for me it comes down to familiarity. I think Decent looks awesome, but I prefer the monsters, classes, spells, etc. that I grew up with in the D&D world.

All reasonable statements. I'm not so sure I see a lot of class or spell resonance with the DnD I knew, however (I was a 2e guy, and don't recognize any of the character skills as being direct adaptations).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
I've found the descent app kind of clunky to use. We've tried it several times and given up and just use an overlord for descent now. In terms of a coop I think wrath of ashardalon does a better game. But Descent has vastly superior campaign rules and compatibility with expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I find this comparison very unfair, not only are the games so different, the app changes a lot of things... Descent has 3 coop expansion and it is fairer to consider them. Descent has monster with bigger options and variety (more than one card per monster so they will behave differently) whereas DnD uses the same rules all the time, so it is more predictable. Which boils down to what I feel is the real difference - Descent plays more like an RPG whereas DnD plays more like a classic coop, a puzzle with strong random elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
I find this comparison very unfair, not only are the games so different, the app changes a lot of things... Descent has 3 coop expansion and it is fairer to consider them. Descent has monster with bigger options and variety (more than one card per monster so they will behave differently) whereas DnD uses the same rules all the time, so it is more predictable. Which boils down to what I feel is the real difference - Descent plays more like an RPG whereas DnD plays more like a classic coop, a puzzle with strong random elements.

You seem to being saying that because the games are different, one should not compare them. Sorry, but when you are deciding where to spend your money, you compare everything on the game store shelf. thus, you can compare Twilight Imperium with Mr. Wiggles.

To answer the OP, I own all the D&D boxes and all expansions for D2E. I also helped play test one of the D2E expansions. I play both a lot of solo games as well as some campaigns with friends.

I love both for different situations, but if I were to pick one, I would pick D2E + Road To Legends App.

D&D is good for 1) an intro for people to the RPG-in-a-box idea; 2) an intro for kids to the next level of tabletop gaming as a whole; or 3) a non-stressful solo play with a decent theme and story. D&D doesn't make you think too much and is a good way to relax when playing a solo game.

OTOH, D2E feels more like a "real" RPG. You have character skill trees and must decide how to spend your limited EXP as you level up. Each quest for D2E can be very different while the D&D quests tend to be more of the same. The monster abilities and characteristics are much more varied and the combat tactics are much deeper. the new Road to Legend app adds extra variability as it changes the rules and makes things even less predictable.

Downside is cost. D2E is best in class for fantasy RPG's in boxes and it's price reflects that. However, even with the base set, I find the game to be a better buy if I had to choose just one.

HTH!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.