Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Poll
Did your Mother ever wash your mouth out with soap?
Yes
No
Possibly
That's between Mom and me
      130 answers
Poll created by Orangemoose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmb
My dad washed my mouth out with Comet.

Then, again, come on, it is me we're talking about. Understandable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
No me, but she did do so to my brother a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fuck no, then again I really only swear during heated gaming with friends so it wasn't a problem
I did say "that sucks" a lot which my mom took as swearing though idk why that was as big of a deal as it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
My dad washed my mouth out with Comet.

Then, again, come on, it is me we're talking about. Understandable.

Understandable AND it explains a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
fuck no, then again I really only swear during heated gaming with friends so it wasn't a problem
I did say "that sucks" a lot which my mom took as swearing though idk why that was as big of a deal as it was.

A couple words that were "forbidden" growing up because my mom didn't like them:
- butt
- suck
- nasty

Probably a few more, too. She also hated the Smurfs so we weren't allowed to watch them, either. Not sure why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

Probably a few more, too. She also hated the Smurfs so we weren't allowed to watch them, either. Not sure why.

Because they're butt suck nasty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Not only did my mother wash my mouth with soap, but even reading the poll question instantly brought back the very clear memories of the tastes of both Ivory (it floats!) and Dial (the original orange bar).

I *still* have lingering problems with my eyesight....

Spoiler (click to reveal)

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope but then my parents were hippies. ALMOST everything was cool. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
God-damn right she washed my fucking mouth out with some shitty tasting soap.

I can't imagine why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:

Not only did my mother wash my mouth with soap, but even reading the poll question instantly brought back the very clear memories of the tastes of both Ivory (it floats!) and Dial (the original orange bar).

Ivory was my Mom's weapon of choice. When I went to college I vowed never to use Ivory soap again - and I haven't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, I've never been a misguided youth. B)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
My Mother tried the soap thing on me one time as a child. Having heard of this from friends I knew I faced a challenge so when she gave me the soap bar (Dial as I recall) I reluctantly licked it then made a pleasantly surprised face. I proceeded to lick with growing enthusiasm, like it was a newly discovered flavor of ice cream. My shocked Mother snatched the bar away from me and forbade me from eating soap ever again.

Crisis averted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Calling all Spielfrieks! It's time to vote for the Meeples Choice Awards at the Yahoo User Group!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, no, my parents didn't believe in stuff like that. Plus, I was a very obedient and somewhat naive child. Hearing swear words made me feel very uncomfortable for some reason. I actually had to teach myself to swear as a teenager, because it was limiting how I could express myself otherwise. If took a while, but the lessons obviously took. Fuckin' A!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bismarck1871 wrote:
My Mother tried the soap thing on me one time as a child. Having heard of this from friends I knew I faced a challenge so when she gave me the soap bar (Dial as I recall) I reluctantly licked it then made a pleasantly surprised face. I proceeded to lick with growing enthusiasm, like it was a newly discovered flavor of ice cream. My shocked Mother snatched the bar away from me and forbade me from eating soap ever again.

Crisis averted.

Hah! I did pretty much he same thing with a bar of Ivory soap but it backfired on me. I said it didn't taste so bad and Mom said, and I quote, "Okay you little jackass, I will fix you right up!" I knew I was in trouble! Remember the crusty pink soap that was like sand granules like what used to be in gas station bathrooms? Well... I got a nice coating of that on my tongue. That shit is FOUL! (Thanks for having that in the garage Dad!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Komodo wrote:
bismarck1871 wrote:

Crisis averted.

Hah! I did pretty much he same thing with a bar of Ivory soap but it backfired on me. I said it didn't taste so bad and Mom said, and I quote, "Okay you little jackass, I will fix you right up!" I knew I was in trouble! Remember the crusty pink soap that was like sand granules like what used to be in gas station bathrooms? Well... I got a nice coating of that on my tongue. That shit is FOUL! (Thanks for having that in the garage Dad!)

Ah, Boraxo or a borax related soap.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax#Toxicity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was never punished for swearing - I never swore. I got the soap for being disrespectful - guilty.

Mom rubbed it between my teeth so it stuck for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Mom rubbed it between my teeth so it stuck for a long time.

gulp

My stars, that made me shudder just to read it, as that thought blended with my own memories of the taste.... yeeeeesh.

Like you, I got it for back talk and sass, not swearing, as I learned the hard way that even very intelligent little kids should *not* try to engage in adult humor and banter with the grownups.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Both bar and dish soap (BrE: washing-up liquid). It's terrible, but bar is worse. It lasts for hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Gambiteer wrote:

Ivory was my Mom's weapon of choice. When I went to college I vowed never to use Ivory soap again - and I haven't.
Another "Ivory" victim here, except the time I dropped "the F-bomb"; that rated "Lava" (with pumice!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cooler king wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
Gambiteer wrote:

Another "Ivory" victim here, except the time I dropped "the F-bomb"; that rated "Lava" (with pumice!)

The dreaded nuclear option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmb
I learned a lot in that time frame. On how to turn off and on my foul mouth. My folks mouths were pretty bad so even tho we heard "the words" all the effin time, we couldn't say them.

No soap, just grounded.

My mouth hasn't gotten any better. Navy didn't help that cause, either. The folks visited me when I graduated boot came and she said "every other word out of your mouth is Fuck".

Didn't realize it.

LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howden
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I believe you have mine...
badge
Bringing you quality product in the face of crushing indifference since 1970.
mbmbmbmbmb
F that S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
el alcalde de GeekQuestions
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Me mum taught me to fucking swear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.