Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
JavaScript, Java, Ruby, ...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

The situation is this: I just added my card X with 3 connection, to the branch. Two of its connections are free. Now I have a couple of questions:

1. When in branch phase two cards are added, one to each free connection of X, when do I choose which one to execute? Only after arriving at X, or the moment they were added to it?

2. If only one card is added to X, can I choose not to execute it after X, as there is another branch exiting X, on which there is no card? Could I choose to skip the added card if X had only two connections? Again, when do I choose what I do?

3. How do the cards added to X during branch phase affect boosting of cards that come up to X? I guess this depends on the answer to 1. (and last part of 2.): if I choose my way immediately when the cards are added, they probably do affect boosts. But if I choose my way only after executing X, then I guess the cards after X cannot boost the cards before X and X itself, because I wouldn't know which one boosts them, and which one not. So what is the truth?

The rules say that if I add two cards to the branch in add phase, I need to choose to which one I go before executing the first action, so my guess would be that in a similar way when cards are added, I need to choose my way immediately, and cannot change that decision later. This would also mean that answer to 2. is that I can choose not to execute the single added card, if X has 3 connections. Otherwise we have a problem: I would need to follow the first card that was added to X, and could not change that even if another one is added, and the rules say I can choose whichever way I want. So my logical conclusion is that either I choose direction only after executing X, and the cards after X don't boost cards up to X, or I choose immediately, but I can choose to follow the empty exit from X if it has one (and then if something gets added to it, I need to execute that card).

From these two interpretations, the first one seems simpler.

But what is the truth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Chudyk
msg tools
designer
1. If during branch phase additional cards are added beyond X, only after executing card X do you choose which direction to proceed from X.

2. If only one card is added beyond X during branch phase, you must proceed to it after executing X, even if there is an empty option on the fork.

3. Boosting occurs before the execution of each individual card. Any cards present on the branch of the same color beyond X in any direction, even different directions, all provide a boost. Once you arrive at the fork and choose a direction, the cards in the direction not chosen no longer provide boosts. This situation can occur more than once in a turn if your actions create multiple forks beyond X.

Thank you for asking question 3. It is an oversight on my part that this case is not addressed in the printed rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
JavaScript, Java, Ruby, ...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thank you for explaining.

I'd just like to clarify the situation with multiple forks. Let's say 4 cards were added after X in branch phase, in this configuration:

-X-A-B
| |
D C

So now when I execute X, all four of them potentially boost it (if the colors match). After executing X I can choose either A or D. Let's say I choose A, so now B and C potentially boost it, as well as X and cards before X, but not D. And after finishing with A I choose either B or C. So basically for cards beyond X I always choose path just before executing the card after the fork. Is this right?

I do the translation of the rules to Polish for Czacha Games, so I'll try to describe all of this in some neat way. Thanks for your help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Chudyk
msg tools
designer
Yeah, great example!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.