Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably being dense but I feel like I'm missing something about Stand Off support.

As I understand it, with regular support, every eligible unit can expend up to 2 Fire Events making Engagement attacks ... So every unit attacks twice using the Support unit's AV and their own AR.

Stand off support can provide Support for as many Engagement attacks as they have steps ... Does this mean that a 2 step Stand Off support unit can only provide enough Support for one unit to do 2 Engagements (or two units one each)?

If so, I understand Stand Off support to be a limitation not a benefit. And, if so, is there any reason one would tap their Stand Off Support for Engagement attacks when they already have a regular Support unit in Support?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Essig
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi Mike!

Not quite...

Regular support cannot make use of Fire Events... it just 'sits' with the unit until some enemy unit tries to engage (and attempt to drop) it. At that point, it does use its own AV and the host unit's AR.

In any event, regular Support _never_ fires out from any host.

Stand Off Support _can_ make their own fires, and yes it is one shot (engagement or Attack by Fire) per step in the Stand Off unit.

So, even if the Stand Off unit has only one step, that's still one more shot than any regular support would get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynn Brower
United States
Solon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Mike,

If I am not understanding what you wrote, I apologize.

It sounds like you are combining support with normal AV unit engagements.

Support is provided by AV units which are specifically assigned to the support function to every unit in their formation that is capable of receiving support. A red AV unit provides both offensive and defensive support to units of the formation. A limited AV unit provides only defensive support. If a unit of a formation can use support and the formation has support assigned then the only effect of support is a DRM on the Combat Table.

In addition to providing the defensive support DRM, a Stand off Support unit has the additional capability of conducting Engagements against enemy units. The unit has as many Engagement "shots" as there are steps in the Stand off Support unit. It is important to remember that these engagements conducted by Stand off Support must be done using the Support Inv'ld line of the engagement table (or Barrage Table if Attack by Fire)

Now normal AV units can conduct Engagements (against other AV units or support) OR Attacks By Fire (against non-AV units without support). Each such AV unit has only 2 Fire Events to use for these actions.

And what Dean said

This is what happens when Dean types faster than me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dean, Lynn: Thanks! It took me about 2 years to wrap my head around OCS, and then only with the help of our local expert (Angela Sutton)! So it comes as no surprise that it is taking time to absorb BCS.

That said, I now understand that Stand Off Support provides a direct offensive capability to the Support function, in addition to the normal, more passive, benefits of regular Support.

On my second careful reading of the rules and will be moving onto some small solo scenarios. All this in prep for setting up a campaign game at our local game club (www.nycwargames.com) in the next few months.

Thanks again for the responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BrooklynMike wrote:
Dean, Lynn: Thanks! It took me about 2 years to wrap my head around OCS, and then only with the help of our local expert (Angela Sutton)! So it comes as no surprise that it is taking time to absorb BCS.

That said, I now understand that Stand Off Support provides a direct offensive capability to the Support function, in addition to the normal, more passive, benefits of regular Support.

Yep, as properly demonstrated by the 88's that have the stand off capability...

BrooklynMike wrote:

On my second careful reading of the rules and will be moving onto some small solo scenarios. All this in prep for setting up a campaign game at our local game club (www.nycwargames.com) in the next few months.

Ahhh, my old haunt. Say Hi to Alan, Tony, and James for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.