Subject: Custom 10-sided Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Gruenwald
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hello All.

I am creating a board game which is using d10's for dice rolls instead of d6's. I wanted to have more variance in dice rolls.

I am curious if there are dice manufacturers that can put custom images/fonts on the sides of d10s. I would only need about 4-5 dice made this way and only 3 sides of the dice would need images. The rest would be blank. The dice would need to be green. I would prefer the color of the image/font to be yellow.

Can someone recommend a good website that can do this?

I looked into Q-Workshop and Chessex, but they're directions for ordering and their selections are difficult to figure out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Monnat Jr
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew, welcome to BGG! (if I haven't already said that, what the hey, even if I already said it)

Here's a blog on that subject. They mention the two shops mentioned by you, but there are some funny and interesting comments.

I recommend checking out this James Mathe blog (as well as his other ones):

Hitchhiker’s guide to Game Manufacturers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind its going to be harder and more costly to custom anything other than a d6. Fewer manufacturers and the costs of the molds.

What about a simple refference card? Most games use this rather than blowing funds on custom dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gruenwald
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
John,

As of now, I have been using a d10 with the effects of the die roll happening on a 1, 2 or 3. I thought it would be a really cool design element and give the game some good production value/quality to have the actual image for the effect on the die. I will keep using the 1, 2 or 3 method for now.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clarke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamesmaker.com does custom D10 with images (printed not engraved) I have a set of their D6 and they have held up extremely well.

Only problem is there is not custom dice colors, they are all white.

Edit: Scratch that, just went back to their site and while they still have the image of the custom d10 on their homepage, it has been removed from their order page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so you know, Space Cadets: Away Missions also uses a 1,2,3 on a d10 roll for effects (successes on skills or combat checks in this case). They chose to use standard d10s in production, but they don't need any specific icons to represent different effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
livevyne wrote:

Edit: Scratch that, just went back to their site and while they still have the image of the custom d10 on their homepage, it has been removed from their order page.

http://www.boardgamesmaker.com/print/fd6546.html

(It's just not on the page you get to from "Dice" on the front page.)

If you go into full-scale production, it's possibly cheaper for "commercial board game" numbers (1000+ units) to have a cast plastic die made, and would certainly be worth enquiring about when you talk to manufacturers.

Of course, if you're still in the prototyping stage, there's two easier options:

One is to use a regular D10, take some acrylic paint and fill in some but not all of the numbers with particular colours. Like that, your game can be "do X if you roll a red number" or "do Y if you roll a black number", and colour-coding is faster to recognise and easier to remember than number ranges.

Secondly, if you can find blank, flat-sided dice (these certainly exist for d10s, you can get them from places like AliExpress even if you can't find them from a local supplier) then you can just write on them with permanent marker. If and when you need to change the graphics on a side, scribble over the permanent marker with a whiteboard/dry-erase marker, and then you'll be able to wipe off everything with a paper towel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mrgruenwald wrote:
John,

As of now, I have been using a d10 with the effects of the die roll happening on a 1, 2 or 3. I thought it would be a really cool design element and give the game some good production value/quality to have the actual image for the effect on the die. I will keep using the 1, 2 or 3 method for now.

Thank you.

So its some progression like 111/2222/333? Might almost be easier to just use a d3. Which is a 6-sider numbered 1-3 twice. Or any of the variants like Heroscape dice which are 1/22/333 for example and are easier to come by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clarke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
mrgruenwald wrote:
John,

Thank you.

So its some progression like 111/2222/333? Might almost be easier to just use a d3. Which is a 6-sider numbered 1-3 twice. Or any of the variants like Heroscape dice which are 1/22/333 for example and are easier to come by.

I took him to mean that 1, 2, and 3 each had their own effect, and then inferred that 4 through 10 had no effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
livevyne wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
mrgruenwald wrote:
John,

Thank you.

I took him to mean that 1, 2, and 3 each had their own effect, and then inferred that 4 through 10 had no effect.

That makes sense. So more like a d6 with just a 1 and a 2. That would probably be easy with a d6 if all but 2 faces were blank. Like the original HeroScape dice. The Shield die has 2 faces with Shield icons and the rest are blank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gruenwald
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I have thought about using blank dice and just drawing on the side. I was looking at the dice for the final product and would want the special die in the case of it getting published and manufactured.

The 1, 2 and 3 as a result all have the same effect. If a player rolls a 2, 5 and 8, then the 1 bad thing only happens to them once. But if they roll a 1, 3 and 7, then the 1 bad thing happens to them twice.

I like the idea of using a d10 for this because there is more variance and the whole game uses d10 for everything. There aren't even other dice in the game. So by using a d10 instead of a d6, this bad thing would happen only 30% of the time instead of 33.333333333333%. It's a very small difference but I like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Vestal
United States
Orland Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.chessex.com/Customer%20Service/Order%20Form.htm

Take a look at that link. Just send an email to order@chessex.com and even if you don't know all the exact stuff they are asking for on the form, give them all the information you do have. Color your are looking for, d10, what customization you want, and they will get back to you with how to take the next steps. It can look confusing but I have worked emailed with them and spoken with them on the phone and they are happy to get the product the way you want it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.