7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Good, succinct description of the Magic Circle? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Arino
msg tools
mb
So this week, just randomly, has turned out to be Coup and Dead of Winter at our game nights (with some Spyfall and Exploding Kittens to a lesser extent for this conversation).

There has been a lot of lying, deceiving, backstabbing and general mistrust because that's what those games create. Everyone has had a blast and I don't think there are any direct hurt feelings as a result, but tonight as we were packing up I sensed a sort of "deception fatigue" or something, and mentioned "Maybe next time we do a strictly co-op game" and several guys agreed they needed a break from traitor mechanics.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good article or blog post that neatly sums up the Magic Circle principle that I can share with my group? Many of them are new to analog gaming, and I want to make sure that none of the mistrust or deception is bleeding over into the real world. (especially since most of us work together every day!)

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
strict co-op games? Like when we are all cooperating to defeat each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Arino
msg tools
mb
No.

Cooperative as in cooperating against the game. Pandemic. Zombicide. Forbidden Desert. Sentinels of the Multiverse. Etc. Etc.

Back on topic, any help with a magic circle description?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoystickWizard wrote:

What is this "magic circle" you are talking about? I looked up the term "magic circle" on wikipedia and it gave me this page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Circle_(virtual_worlds)
which has a couple of paragraphs at the end about gaming culture. Maybe a place to start.

But I still don't know what you're talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a quick article, but the Ludology episode about The Magic Circle was good.
http://ludology.libsyn.com/ludology-episode-79-the-magic-cir...

Ludology Episode 79: The Magic Circle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Arino
msg tools
mb
bwingrave wrote:
JoystickWizard wrote:

What is this "magic circle" you are talking about? I looked up the term "magic circle" on wikipedia and it gave me this page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Circle_(virtual_worlds)
which has a couple of paragraphs at the end about gaming culture. Maybe a place to start.

But I still don't know what you're talking about.

I can't remember where I first read about it, it basically says that when you play a tabletop game (or a video game or watch a movie, etc.) you enter a "magic circle" in which you suspend disbelief, might act out of character, betray your friends, etc. depending on the role you are playing, the game's rules, etc. Then we we leave the game, the Magic Circle is broken and what happened in it, stays in it (e.g. don't be mad at me all week because I hoarded food because that was my secret objective in the game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Arino
msg tools
mb
fortyfive wrote:
It's not a quick article, but the Ludology episode about The Magic Circle was good.
http://ludology.libsyn.com/ludology-episode-79-the-magic-cir...

Ludology Episode 79: The Magic Circle

thanks! I will give it a listen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.