Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Talley
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'm looking to find someone to paint a few (probably either 2 or 4, definitely less than 10) 1/285 tanks, and possibly a couple of 1/2400 planes. If there's some other part of this site where this post would be better let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Basil Hilder KIA Lone Pine, Gallipoli
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some miniatures painters here but mostly board game based or fantasy. Might be worth trying TMP - the miniatures page website. You can look up painters there depending on your needs.

Good luck with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 1/285th tanks, I usually just spray paint them then add a few details such as painting the treads a mud color and possibly a wash to enhance shadows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Google "miniature painting service" - there are dozens out there.

edit : just realized the scale - at that scale everybody can paint - only a couple basic supplies needed and a look at some youtube painting videos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you really mean planes in 1:2400 scale? I paint hundreds of 1:600 for my own use but 1:2400? My 1:4800 aircraft on Shapeways carriers are far too small for any camo schme and just get a brush of a single dominant colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Google "miniature painting service" - there are dozens out there.

edit : just realized the scale - at that scale everybody can paint - only a couple basic supplies needed and a look at some youtube painting videos

I agree with Eddy, at that scale it is much easier to paint than at a higher scale. If the models have good detail they look even more impressive. Also if you already have the models you will have to send them off which gains additional cost in P&P.

I tried to Google a company that I know sell already painted tanks at 1:300 scale and are nicely detailed. I think they are metal but I cannot remember the company name... anyone?

It might also be cheaper to buy 2nd hand painted tanks off ebay and the like. For a few models it may work out cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that the editor of TMP sends his 1:285 minis to a Sri Lanka outfit called Fernando Enterprises. They paint anything to a good standard and have a website with gallery and t&cs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sten Stenson Sten
Sweden
flag msg tools
There is a miniature painters guild on this site. I would try posting on their forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowfox wrote:
There is a miniature painters guild on this site. I would try posting on their forum.

Miniature Painters Guild here on BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Lower
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I love a game of Up Front. Thanks WV!
mb
Jake -

As other posters have mentioned, you might want to consider painting them yourself. The postage alone would be prohibitive for that quantity of a commission.

At that scale all you'd need to do would be to:

1. Spray prime (Armory or Krylon primer)
2. Base coat with main color
3. Black wash (1 part black paint to 10 parts water) or use an ink from Games Workshop or Army Painter
4. Drybrush the base color onto the model (search Youtube videos for drybrush technique)
5. Pick out a few details (tracks, etc.) with black or charcoal paint. Maybe rub a #2 pencil or lightly use silver paint on the metal bits.
6. Done!

Painting miniatures is a lot of fun, and the more that you do the better you get. Check out GHQ Miniatures website for more tutorials.

Now, if I haven't convinced you to have a go yourself, Google "1/285 armor" and click some of the pretty pictures that appeal to you. Some will lead you to blogs where you can contact the owner directly and see if they'll do some work for you. I know from personal experience that it is flattering to get such requests.

Best of luck to you!

- Jeff
http://squadpainter.blogspot.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Talley
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
thanks for the info guys!

i thought about trying to do it myself, but it's (perhaps obviously) not something i'm likely to do often and i didn't want to buy supplies just for one small project. but, if having them painted turns out to be too expensive maybe i'll give it a shot.

and yeah, i did mean 1/2400. they're b52 bombers ... wingspan is a bit under an inch at that scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scud80 wrote:
thanks for the info guys!

i thought about trying to do it myself, but it's (perhaps obviously) not something i'm likely to do often and i didn't want to buy supplies just for one small project. but, if having them painted turns out to be too expensive maybe i'll give it a shot.

and yeah, i did mean 1/2400. they're b52 bombers ... wingspan is a bit under an inch at that scale.

B52s. Fair enough. I hadn't appreciated that you would have to make an investment in paints etc. If you lived near me (NW England) I'll do them for you for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wade
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
winheath wrote:
I know that the editor of TMP sends his 1:285 minis to a Sri Lanka outfit called Fernando Enterprises. They paint anything to a good standard and have a website with gallery and t&cs.

Fernando is excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
disasterwargamer disasterwargamer
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
Concur on Fernando
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Breakout Normandy, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Hattusilis_III wrote:
winheath wrote:

Fernando is excellent!

+1. Excellent work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Wells
United States
Lemon Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sent you a GM. I am near you in San Diego and paint mini. I think thwe can work something out to get your minis painted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chops wrote:
I sent you a GM. I am near you in San Diego and paint mini. I think thwe can work something out to get your minis painted.

Sorry, Jake. My offer was bona fide - never realised you could locate someone by clicking on their username. San Diego probably a bit far from Lancashire.blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Lower
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I love a game of Up Front. Thanks WV!
mb
Chops wrote:

Now why didn't I think of clicking the OP's name and checking out where he lives? Ha ha! Nice work, Chops! The three of us are practically neighbors! I live in La Mesa.

Chops, do you have any pictures up of your miniature painting? I'm currently in the middle of a small scale renaissance right now and I'd love to see some of your work.

- Jeff
http://squadpainter.blogspot.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.