Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't Exceed need it own forum? Seems having it split into 4 is not a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
Doesn't Exceed need it own forum? Seems having it split into 4 is not a good idea.

I agree... for the most part. I think the character related questions should goto each of the 4 individual games. But use the EXCEED family for the general EXCEED conversation:

https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1771777/exceed-fighting-syst...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Games like this really need a general game forum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RayLancer wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

I agree... for the most part. I think the character related questions should goto each of the 4 individual games. But use the EXCEED family for the general EXCEED conversation:

https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1771777/exceed-fighting-syst...

except "family" doesn't come up typing in the name or for collection, or tagging stuff. all bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the ideal, but what really happens can be observed with Thunderstone Advance (and even this: look at number of threads in the Reese box vs everything else): people just use the forum for the first game for the most part. I'm not sure why it's set up like this, but it's the method that BGG wants now (Magic and most of the old CCGs are set up as individual games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I set up a page. Hopefully they allow. Summoner Wars was a mess before it got it's own page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
A few months ago I followed the same discussion regarding Yomi.

Yes, back then it came out the correct BGG way of doing things is to use the "family" forum, and use the individual games' page to discuss that specific game (as packaged).

And yes, the family page does not allow a number of things, namely to rate the game (that is: the family), which people wanted to do, but you can rate the single "package" (for Exceed, each 4-character box), which I can't find a use for.

What came through to me is this: the BGG structure has not been thought for "modular games", like Exceed where you can pick any 4-characters box and that is your "base set" if you will, but the "game" really is all 16(17) characters (until next season, at least).

Having a separate page for the "game" but with all the common features seems to me a good idea!
I hope that could be done. (I.e. it does not mess the database.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's the same with all "modular" games that are not strictly LCGs. So, Blue Moon, Yomi, Summoner Wars, BattleCON etc. are all examples. I guess for general discussions, we as a community should get used to using the Family Forums (they're linked from each pack, so it's not too hard to navigate to them).

Making another game page for a non-existing product IMHO is just inflating the database for no reason. As regards rating a family, I can see that would be an interesting idea, though if it's ever implemented, I feel there shouldn't be a game rank given out (same as we have with compilations and anniversary editions for the most part).

tl;dr: that's exactly the purpose of family pages: to allow discussions of game-system-wide questions

Edit: as regards Summoner Wars: They're still splitting up the "game page" for that system. So, from BGG's point of view, the game page is a mistake, not a feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting discussion, and I could see it from both sides. However, I feel that games that have a Master Set (like BattleCon or Summoner Wars) are much easier to figure out than games like Exceed or Yomi, which really are a compilation of all the available parts.

Maybe if there were some way to set up a combined rating from the Family page as well as all of the individual character packs to give an idea of how the overall game is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.