Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a character pick up an object from the maze, and return to their starting line while carrying it?

If so, can a character drop the object somewhere on their starting line, thereby preventing their opponent from ever using it?

Also, how could objects such as the Teleportation Ring be used by a character while on the starting line?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Lamontagne
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hemlockaaa wrote:
Can a character pick up an object from the maze, and return to their starting line while carrying it?

Yes

Hemlockaaa wrote:
If so, can a character drop the object somewhere on their starting line, thereby preventing their opponent from ever using it?

Exact, if your opponent get a character out, he can't pick up the item, including the treasure chest. So it is not uncommun do drop the treasure on your starting line to prevent the opponent taking it.

Hemlockaaa wrote:
Also, how could objects such as the Teleportation Ring be used by a character while on the starting line?

The caracter can teleport to one of the two rooms in front of the starting line, but you can't teleport into the opponent's starting line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can drop the object on your starting line.

The ring would allow you to move to an adjacent room -- one of the two rooms adjacent to the starting line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Allardyce
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more question.

Does this mean that if your character is in one of the first two Rooms, he could use the Teleportation Ring to teleport himself anywhere on his own Starting Line?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to read the rule book again, but isn't the teleportation ring limited to just teleporting you to any place in the room that you are already in? I don't think you can teleport to another room...but I'm not 100% sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quite the opposite. In fact, you're not allowed to use it to teleport to a square in the room you're already in. Your destination must be in a different, adjacent room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hemlockaaa wrote:
One more question.

Does this mean that if your character is in one of the first two Rooms, he could use the Teleportation Ring to teleport himself anywhere on his own Starting Line?

Just a guess, but I think not. The starting line is not a Room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Lamontagne
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ERRATA

I answered too fast, I just checked the FAQ, and you can't teleport at all if you are on the starting grid, as it is not a room.

The question was ansered twice on the official website

http://www.dungeontwister.com/fr/faq/index.php?HK=69ed442533...

http://www.dungeontwister.com/fr/faq/index.php?HK=54e1306b2c...

My apologies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Olivier.

That seems odd -- the Ring text doesn't say "from a Room", does it? (I don't have that expansion).

Why issue errata on a non-issue like this? It's not like picking up the ring and running back to the start and then teleporting to the adjacent room is any better than just picking up the ring and teleporting from there in the first place.

Odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Lamontagne
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulemonger wrote:
Thanks Olivier.

That seems odd -- the Ring text doesn't say "from a Room", does it? (I don't have that expansion).

I will check the rulebook text this weekend

On Dungeontwister.net (french website), the teleportation ring entry says something like : Teleport from a room to another, but I'm not sure if it is the official text.

Rulemonger wrote:
Why issue errata on a non-issue like this? It's not like picking up the ring and running back to the start and then teleporting to the adjacent room is any better than just picking up the ring and teleporting from there in the first place.

Odd.

It was an errata of my previous reply, not an official errata, I just considered it important enough to write in Huge size

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hemlockaaa wrote:
One more question.

The Teleportation Ring only allows you to teleport to an open floor square. The Starting Line spaces are considered Starting Line Squares - this item is one reason why they're different.

Rulemonger wrote:

The ring says:
Paladins and Dragons, Page 5 wrote:
A character can use the Teleportation ring for 1 AP in order to teleport to any empty floor square of an adjacent room (never in the same room he is teleporting from). Discard the Teleportation Ring after use (see figure 3).

It's possible that, in French, the "never in the same room ..." provides a stronger implication that it has to be used in a room, and I was unaware of this when editing the English version. If so, I apologize. It wasn't my first mistake, and it won't be my last.

Eric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the prompt reply, Eric.

And certainly nothing to apologize over -- it is a non-issue to game play either way, so using the more natural (less stilted) text that you used would probably have been the best option anyhow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.