Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Strong
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok... So I convinced a few members of my play group to give Slaughterball another go. I bought it and we played it last weekend. We really enjoyed it, but wanted to hold off playing any more until the other teams came out and we could start up a league. But I convinced 2 to break the game out tonight just to play another scrimmage game. Just wanted to make sure on a few things that we discussed as we played.

SHOT CLOCK- If you play this on your opponent and they have the ball, the player holding the ball is sent to the penalty box and the ball scatters. If no athlete on the active team has the ball ever during a turn and we play this card, we understand that we would scatter the ball, but which player is sent to the penalty box? Does the coach that played the card get to choose any player from the active coaches team, or is there a way to randomize which athlete is chosen?

Also, can you play SHOT CLOCK on the first Coaches turn if they never reach the ball? Since the last coach gets to scatter the opening ball, they could scatter it completely away from the first coach so he can't reach the ball, and then turn around and play this card at the end of that turn thus already sending a player to the penalty box. Seems a bit harsh if you can play it on the first turn seeing as how the Coach may never even be able to reach the ball.

There was another question or two, but for the life of me, I can't remember them at this moment. Will post again when I do. Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ogmund prime
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The purpose of "Shot Clock" is to keep the ball moving. Similar to basketball, if you don't take a shot on the basket before the time allotted the buzzer sounds and the ball reverts to the other team. In Slaughterball, if the active coach is hoarding the ball to prevent shots on goal (I'm looking at you Carnage), I can play shot clock to penalize that athlete and force a relaunch. If that athlete is instead hovering over the ball in an adjacent space so that the opponents must come to him/her then I can play shot clock to once again force a relaunch. However, the athlete is not penalized since there is no rule that they must pick up the ball. You may not send an athlete to the penalty box, but a random relaunch might be more favorable than trying to pick up the ball next to an angry Butcher.

As it states on the card "If the ball is loose, scatter it from a random launcher." No mention of the penalty box for this second option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Strong
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay... so if an athlete has it and fails to open goals or take a shot/spike action, the card will force that athlete into penalty box and scatter the ball. If an athlete doesn't have it, and the ball is just lying there untouched during a Coaches turn, then the card just relaunches the ball and no athlete goes to the penalty box. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ogmund prime
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most coaches would wait to play Shot Clock on an opposing athlete to get the penalty. There are circumstances that warrant the second option but it is a gamble.

Once I was playing Nemesis in a three coach Exhibition game vs. Carnage and Gruesomes(via proxy). The Carnage coach had the ball hidden behind his Butcher in an attempt to force the other teams to enter his slice of the pit. I played Shot Clock to try to relaunch in my section of the board. Unfortunately the Gruesomes coach was in last place and scattered the ball in between his two lumbering Butchers...ugh, out of the frying pan and into the fire!

I figure that the card is kind of like the referees wanting to keep the action moving. A ball that isn't moving sends the fans to the concession stand. Just like a clinch in boxing, break it up and get to fighting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Kjerland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Thanks for answering the question, Ogmund!

Yep, Shot Clock is to keep the ball moving and prevent turtling by leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.