Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Comments in bold below. I'm no expert but frankly it looks bad. it looks like some of what he proposes is illegal (and likely to remain illegal), unsafe, some of what he proposes heavily favors the wealthy and actively screws the poor, some more of what he proposes screws tens of millions of citizens below median wage. And it returns us to a time when people went to the hospital without care, ran up enormous bills which had to be paid by people with insurance (because the cost was rolled into the overall hospital cost).

Making hospitals reveal or standardize cost reporting seems good.

Other critiques
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/282587-trumps-healthcar...
Quote:
Trump’s healthcare plans trouble GOP

Okay, so the plan.
Quote:

Healthcare Reform to Make America Great Again

Since March of 2010, the American people have had to suffer under the incredible economic burden of the Affordable Care Act—Obamacare. This legislation, passed by totally partisan votes in the House and Senate and signed into law by the most divisive and partisan President in American history, has tragically but predictably resulted in runaway costs, websites that don’t work, greater rationing of care, higher premiums, less competition and fewer choices. Obamacare has raised the economic uncertainty of every single person residing in this country. As it appears Obamacare is certain to collapse of its own weight, the damage done by the Democrats and President Obama, and abetted by the Supreme Court, will be difficult to repair unless the next President and a Republican congress lead the effort to bring much-needed free market reforms to the healthcare industry.

But none of these positive reforms can be accomplished without Obamacare repeal. On day one of the Trump Administration, we will ask Congress to immediately deliver a full repeal of Obamacare.

However, it is not enough to simply repeal this terrible legislation. We will work with Congress to make sure we have a series of reforms ready for implementation that follow free market principles and that will restore economic freedom and certainty to everyone in this country. By following free market principles and working together to create sound public policy that will broaden healthcare access, make healthcare more affordable and improve the quality of the care available to all Americans.

Any reform effort must begin with Congress. Since Obamacare became law, conservative Republicans have been offering reforms that can be delivered individually or as part of more comprehensive reform efforts. In the remaining sections of this policy paper, several reforms will be offered that should be considered by Congress so that on the first day of the Trump Administration, we can start the process of restoring faith in government and economic liberty to the people.

Congress must act. Our elected representatives in the House and Senate must:

Completely repeal Obamacare. Our elected representatives must eliminate the individual mandate. No person should be required to buy insurance unless he or she wants to.

a) short of a republican landslide, this probably won't happen- republicans have voted many times to kill the affordable care act.
b) if successful it will throw over 10 million americans off health care until an unspecified later time.

Modify existing law that inhibits the sale of health insurance across state lines. As long as the plan purchased complies with state requirements, any vendor ought to be able to offer insurance in any state. By allowing full competition in this market, insurance costs will go down and consumer satisfaction will go up.

This could work. Democrats should look into it. Unlikely republicans will vote for it if democrats propose it tho.
Also, “The barriers to entry are not truly regulatory, they are financial and they are network,” said Sabrina Corlette, the director of the Georgetown University Health Policy Institute.

Allow individuals to fully deduct health insurance premium payments from their tax returns under the current tax system. Businesses are allowed to take these deductions so why wouldn’t Congress allow individuals the same exemptions? As we allow the free market to provide insurance coverage opportunities to companies and individuals, we must also make sure that no one slips through the cracks simply because they cannot afford insurance. We must review basic options for Medicaid and work with states to ensure that those who want healthcare coverage can have it.

Allow individuals to use Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). Contributions into HSAs should be tax-free and should be allowed to accumulate. These accounts would become part of the estate of the individual and could be passed on to heirs without fear of any death penalty. These plans should be particularly attractive to young people who are healthy and can afford high-deductible insurance plans. These funds can be used by any member of a family without penalty. The flexibility and security provided by HSAs will be of great benefit to all who participate.

HSA's essentially benefit under 10% of society. The rest are screwed. And those who benefit from HSA's benefit enormously. It's another trust like proposal to allow the wealthy to bypass taxes and accumulate wealth.
As one article put it speaking of Ryan's plan that uses HSA's...
Ryan Health Plan Is Simple: Let The Poor Die
http://killingthebreeze.com/ryan-health-plan-is-simple-let-t...

Require price transparency from all healthcare providers, especially doctors and healthcare organizations like clinics and hospitals. Individuals should be able to shop to find the best prices for procedures, exams or any other medical-related procedure.

This is really only good for elective procedures. I'm having a heart attack- I'm not browsing and negotiating rates. I've been in a horrific car accident and I'm concussed and unconscious- I'm not browsing and negotiating rates.
Still- I like it and democrats should consider it.
http://truecostofhealthcare.net/hospitalization/

Block-grant Medicaid to the states. Nearly every state already offers benefits beyond what is required in the current Medicaid structure. The state governments know their people best and can manage the administration of Medicaid far better without federal overhead. States will have the incentives to seek out and eliminate fraud, waste and abuse to preserve our precious resources.

If it's anything like the 2015 block grant proposal...
http://www.cbpp.org/blog/proposed-medicaid-block-grant-would...
Summary: Actually cut money for medicare, cut coverage for "tens of million americans". Block grants are set up in advance to provide insufficient funds from the start and to cover even less over time.

Remove barriers to entry into free markets for drug providers that offer safe, reliable and cheaper products. Congress will need the courage to step away from the special interests and do what is right for America. Though the pharmaceutical industry is in the private sector, drug companies provide a public service. Allowing consumers access to imported, safe and dependable drugs from overseas will bring more options to consumers.

Unless he's talking about repealing the patent system for drugs, I don't see how he's going to gain much in the generic market from this proposal. Ah yes, cheap drugs from over seas- ignore the patent system. That's really a far left idea (you can't see the democrats from it because it's so far left). And if we were relying on them, they'd need a lot more testing. While often good, they are also often not good (low active ingredients to as bad as no active ingredients to (rarely) as bad as actively poison). I buy some drugs overseas-- those which I can test their effects in a single day. But there's no point to buying generics ($4 a month). So it all sounds illegal to me.

The reforms outlined above will lower healthcare costs for all Americans. They are simply a place to start. There are other reforms that might be considered if they serve to lower costs, remove uncertainty and provide financial security for all Americans. And we must also take actions in other policy areas to lower healthcare costs and burdens. Enforcing immigration laws, eliminating fraud and waste and energizing our economy will relieve the economic pressures felt by every American. It is the moral responsibility of a nation’s government to do what is best for the people and what is in the interest of securing the future of the nation.

Providing healthcare to illegal immigrants costs us some $11 billion annually. If we were to simply enforce the current immigration laws and restrict the unbridled granting of visas to this country, we could relieve healthcare cost pressures on state and local governments.
Short of a police state, you are not going to deport illegal immigrants. The best you could do is set up a national citizen database and require it for jobs. And that would be a YOOOGE step for americans to agree to a national biometric and photo id card database. It's not going to happen basically.

To reduce the number of individuals needing access to programs like Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program we will need to install programs that grow the economy and bring capital and jobs back to America. The best social program has always been a job – and taking care of our economy will go a long way towards reducing our dependence on public health programs.
generic pap in the face of automation and declining work force participation
Finally, we need to reform our mental health programs and institutions in this country. Families, without the ability to get the information needed to help those who are ailing, are too often not given the tools to help their loved ones. There are promising reforms being developed in Congress that should receive bi-partisan support.
pap. republicans have a history of cutting mental health programs and institutions (even dumping them out on the street) so I don't see a republican congress supporting this

To reform healthcare in America, we need a President who has the leadership skills, will and courage to engage the American people and convince Congress to do what is best for the country. These straightforward reforms, along with many others I have proposed throughout my campaign, will ensure that together we will Make America Great Again.

I'm really not very impressed. Even for being so generic, it looks like it would benefit 10% or less of the country and roll back the clock to 8 years ago when anyone who got sick was terrified of losing their job and health care. because insurance companies ruthlessly cut everyone who had any chronic illness or even acute conditions that were likely to recur. and anyone who was old (leading to layoffs for older workforces).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Comments in bold below. I'm no expert but frankly it looks bad. it looks like some of what he proposes is illegal (and likely to remain illegal), unsafe, some of what he proposes heavily favors the wealthy and actively screws the poor, some more of what he proposes screws tens of millions of citizens below median wage. And it returns us to a time when people went to the hospital without care, ran up enormous bills which had to be paid by people with insurance (because the cost was rolled into the overall hospital cost).

None of that stopped Obama....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Flagged as first use of "but Bush Obama did it too" by a liberal conservative. What's good for the goose....

Seriously, this is reform? Repeal Obamacare and the individual mandate. Loosen interstate restrictions. Add in tax-deductible HSA's. Allow price shopping. Medicaid block grants. Knock-off drugs from overseas manufacturers. No more health care for illegals.

So...

Better shopping for some small gain. No cost controls. No more chronic condition coverage. Tax benefits for those who can accumulate wealth. None for those who can't. Block grants from Republicans who are already looking to cut social programs. Low-quality drugs imported from dubious sources, which will also increase trade deficits. Illegal immigrants dying in hospital waiting rooms or facing deportation for seeking medical care. And, of course, elimination of waste, fraud, and abuse.

Yay. Way to Make America Great Again, Donald.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Flagged as first use of "but Bush Obama did it too" by a liberal conservative. What's good for the goose....

Seriously, this is reform? Repeal Obamacare and the individual mandate. Loosen interstate restrictions. Add in tax-deductible HSA's. Allow price shopping. Medicaid block grants. Knock-off drugs from overseas manufacturers. No more health care for illegals.

So...

Better shopping for some small gain. No cost controls. No more chronic condition coverage. Tax benefits for those who can accumulate wealth. None for those who can't. Block grants from Republicans who are already looking to cut social programs. Low-quality drugs imported from dubious sources, which will also increase trade deficits. Illegal immigrants dying in hospital waiting rooms or facing deportation for seeking medical care. And, of course, elimination of waste, fraud, and abuse.

I was not commenting on it being BAD, I am just saying that all the things listed by maxo didnt stop someone else, so why cant Trump do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
SPIGuy wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

So...

I was not commenting on it being BAD, I am just saying that all the things listed by maxo didnt stop someone else, so why cant Trump do it?
He can, assuming they someone else did do it, and I am not sure the ACA did screw to poor so the rich could get cheaper healthcare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ACA raised health care costs for the wealthy, self employed, and large families. It slightly raised costs for the young but gave coverage to the young for a half a decade longer than they previously had it.

ACA lowered health care costs for people with a low income.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:
Seriously, this is reform? Repeal Obamacare and the individual mandate.

We've beat this to death, so I'm going to pass. I'll take on the rest of the paragraph, though.

SPIGuy wrote:
Loosen interstate restrictions.

I don't think there are any interstate restrictions, but insurance companies are allowed to pick and choose which states to play in and to charge wildly different amounts in each.

Whether Medicare or ACA, health care is nearly free in California (after standard Medicare premiums and ACA rebates): free physical, more visits for a few dollar co-pay, $20 hospital co-pay. In less competitive states (or those with less powerful insurance commissioners?) seniors and poor have to pay through the nose.

Remember who it was that tried to stop the multistate ACA market.

And until the US has insurance protections with the power of the California Department of Insurance, I say forget about it. Remember all the insurance cheating after Katrina and Sandy? That kind of crap doesn't happen in CA. After the the big San Diego fires in 2007, the heads of the insurance companies were called into the Dept. of Ins. and told (by Republican Steve Poizner, I think) if they tried to pull any of that crap in California, the state would come down on them like a ton of bricks. They behaved and honored their contracts.

SPIGuy wrote:
Add in tax-deductible HSA's.

They've been there forever. It's just if you don't qualify just right (you're not in a "high-deductible health plan"), each year the excess rolls over to the government--the Republicans did that. If it were just a tax deduction without having to set up an HSA, it would be simpler and fairer. But it's a 1% solution: if you've got the money to begin with, we'll give you a bonus (tax deduction) for buying health care; the richer you are, the bigger bonus we'll give you.

SPIGuy wrote:
Allow price shopping.

That's entirely letting insurance companies screw anyone that isn't big enough to force them to deal.

Cheap shipping and the Internet leveled the playing field in retail. Before, if your FLGS wanted 2xMSRP for a game, you couldn't do anything about it; now they wouldn't dare because you'd just go to an OLGS. Rinse and repeat for damn near all merchandise, including ACA coverage if you're in a big state.

So, insurance companies screw individuals because they're allowed to. It is not that the government is forcing them to screw people. If insurance companies had to set fixed prices for plans, they'd scream like stuck pigs; the only reason they don't scream about ACA is the government has pushed the hospital assistance money into the ACA rebate pool so they get their money.

Now, Apple gets some secret deal with an insurance company (if they don't self-insure) and small businesses have to pay through the nose if they want to give their employees insurance. They're too small for anyone to care if they buy insurance or not, so they get screwed by the insurance companies.

Force insurance companies to have a public price list and you'll solve most of the problem. Ditto hospital price lists.

SPIGuy wrote:
Medicaid block grants.

First you're asking for a free market, but now you're asking for each state to set up their own bureaucracy so they can enrich their politicians and political donors. Which do you want?

SPIGuy wrote:
Knock-off drugs from overseas manufacturers.

Say thank you to Our Beloved Congress. They prohibited import of drugs, no one else.

SPIGuy wrote:
No more health care for illegals.

So, do you want them treated at the highest cost possible in hospital emergency rooms, or do you want them dying in the street and their children orphaned? Or do you think there's some solution setting up ICE offices in every hospital ER (and are you willing to have your children's ER visit delayed while ICE checks their status)? Which do you want?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oldies but Goodies ... Avalon Hill and
msg tools
mbmbmb
One could've hoped that Trump would build on his earlier statements about how his replacement for Obamacare was going to be "terrific" and "take care of everybody." Instead, we get a pulled-from-the-back-of-the-fridge-and-rewarmed Republican plan which does nothing to address affordability, nothing to address deductibles, nothing to address preventive or chronic care, nothing to address the insurance company stranglehold, and nothing to address exponentially-rising costs.

Ah, well. At least under the Trump plan, you can keep your own doctor - as long as he or she is part of your network and you can afford the steadily-rising premiums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
SPIGuy wrote:
Ah, well. At least under the Trump plan, you can keep your own doctor - as long as he or she is part of your network and you can afford the steadily-rising premiums.

Why could you not keep your own doc under ACA? It's just another insurance company from the doc's point of view. Sure, he might not like XYZ Insurance at random, but that's not going to be a common case. It's a lot harder keeping your doc if you go to an HMO, but still: you call your doc's office and ask, "What HMOs do you take?" Maybe none, but maybe one acceptable to you.

No one can guarantee you can keep your doc. One of mine retired. Another became disabled.

It's like Obama promising you could keep your insurance plan--the government doesn't own the insurance companies. Or like Trump claiming he can bring back steel and manufacturing jobs--he doesn't own those companies. (If Warren Buffett or Bill Gates made that promise, they could buy them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
All any of this does is reinforce the need for a single-payer system in the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.