Subject: How do I go about restoring my minis? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy McCann
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
So, after looking at all these wonderful painted minis, I decided that I would jump in and do mine. I have some experience (though about 20+ years out of practice) and figured I'd give it a whirl. Short story shorter, I suck apparently.

What would be the best way to "clean" the minis I've attempted to paint? Only did the Polania mechs, so it's not a lot. Should I just get some white primer and repaint or would soapy water with a toothbrush work? (Acrylic paints)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If soap and water does not, look at a miniature dite for suggestions. When iwas in warmachine, there was something thst you couod find at walmart to take paint off that worked with most plastics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll also be selling some of our extra miniatures ala carte in early September if you just want to replace all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Brighton
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I painted plastics (c. 35 years ago) I used turpentine to clean acrylic paints (e.g. Airfix, Humbrol). However, plastics vary so I would use any chemical product with extreme caution and test a very small amount under the base and make sure it doesn't react over a period of time.

If you wanted to re-paint I might suggest...
i) coming back 'up to speed' on your painting skills. Of course this could be time consuming. After 30 years of not having painted anything smaller than a wall I bet I'd be pretty bad as well, or
ii) give the figures a black wash. I've used this technique on figures; it's quick, easy and looks quite effective.

Anyway, good luck; I hope it works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come join us in the Mini Painters Guild

https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/909

Simple Green is a common suggestion for soaking your minis in overnight to soften up the acrylic paint. I recently saw a suggestion for using methylated spirits instead, but haven't tried that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's acrylic paint, simple green is all you need. Soak overnight and take a toothbrush to them. Repeat as needed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Diener
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple Green is absolutely the best for stripping plastic (and even metal).
Most other products (especially petroleum based) will completely dissolve plastic.
Simple Green (or Purple Power by the same company)leaves the plastic pristine.
Try looking on youtube for 'stripping plastic miniatures simple green'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
White Elk wrote:
Most other products (especially petroleum based) will completely dissolve plastic.

Is this any relation to Kaboom! cleaner? Used that. A quick soak my citadel mini paints would come right off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Cat - No Cradle
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Meoww
mbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
White Elk wrote:

Is this any relation to Kaboom! cleaner? Used that. A quick soak my citadel mini paints would come right off.

Section 3: COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Ingredient CAS Number Percent Range
Water 7732-18-5 > 84.8%*
Ethoxylated Alcohol 68439-46-3 < 5%*
Sodium Citrate 68-04-2 < 5%*
Tetrasodium N,N-bis(carboxymethyl)-L-glutamate 51981-21-6 < 1%*
Sodium Carbonate 497-19-8 < 1%*
Citric Acid 77-92-9 < 1%*
Isothiazolinone mixture 55965-84-9 < 0.2%*
Fragrance Proprietary Mixture < 1%*
Colorant Proprietary Mixture < 1%*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United Kingdom
Worcester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Fairy Power Spray or Mr Muscle oven cleaner to strip paint off both plastic and metal minis - place mini in a ziploc bag or small dish, douse with oven cleaner, seal (or cover with clingfilm) and leave overnight. A scrub with water and a toothbrush in the morning, repeat if necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.