Blood Rage» Forums » General

Subject: "Must Have" expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone consider an expansion for this instant-classic a "must have" ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Franke
Germany
Wildeshausen
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play with 5 players there is a must have expansion

That aside I really like the Mystics and I will never play without them. They give some cool options so from my point of view they are must to have but before we tried them the game was fun also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the game *requires* the expansions (unless you want to play 5p, of course). I Kickstarted it, and haven't actually played with the two expansions yet. While I certainly want to try them at some point, I haven't felt the need to.

Your mileage may vary, of course!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
I don't think the game *requires* the expansions (unless you want to play 5p, of course). I Kickstarted it, and haven't actually played with the two expansions yet. While I certainly want to try them at some point, I haven't felt the need to.

Well without a proper recommendation my mileage won't vary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laughs I always play with three of the four expansions, so in that sense I consider them worthwhile, although I wouldn't say "must have" as such. I don't play with the duplicate small alternate sculpt monsters, because I think all monsters should be unique--so I didn't get them when paying extra to get the other expansions via other avenues than kickstarter! I also didn't get the Art Book or the Boar Clan, because they are just alternate clan sculpts, since there is currently no six player version.

If you don't have the game yet or the expansions, you will find the expansions, which were Kickstarter exclusives, hard and expensive to come by. It was worth it for me, but its up to you.

The hierarchy of wanting them does seem to generally be that mentioned above:

1. Five Player (so you can add one)

2. Mystics (lots of fun, offering interesting alternate figures and powers)

3. Gods of Asgard (add many interesting/wacky variants to the game)

I also play them with a variant suggested here where where you rotate the gods in and out during the three ages randomly, so they all get to play in each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
badge
mbmb
How do the expansions with more cards (e.g., Mystics) play? Do you shuffle all the cards and deal 8 as usual, so more cards are left-over after the deal (as opposed to 2 in the vanilla game)? I expect it opens more options as there is more chance that certain powerhouses are out of the game.

Sorry for a bit of off-topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep that's it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fifth player for obvious reasons and also with mystics. They may or may not come out in a game depending on the draft. Played God's twice and really didn't like it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Pluntky
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rellated question:

Is the Mystics of Midgard and Gods of Asgard expansions included in all Kickstarter versions of the game? I seem to think so but could anyone confirm thi for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
binnet wrote:
Rellated question:

Is the Mystics of Midgard and Gods of Asgard expansions included in all Kickstarter versions of the game? I seem to think so but could anyone confirm thi for me?

Yes, they were included.

And to answer the OP, I like the Mystics and I always include them when I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Sanmiguel
United States
Brookhaven
Georgia
flag msg tools
Mystics are great because they add cards which is great. It makes drafting more fun.

5th player is also nice if you have 5 players obviously. I'd probably use the Rams more in less than 5 player games but since I don't have an insert to keep them in the original box it's annoying to take them out.

Gods I can take or leave. It's the kind of thing you want to throw in if things get a little stale (Doesn't really happen) or if someone in your group seems to have a strategy they always use and you want to mix it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobb_o wrote:
Mystics are great because they add cards which is great. It makes drafting more fun.

5th player is also nice if you have 5 players obviously. I'd probably use the Rams more in less than 5 player games but since I don't have an insert to keep them in the original box it's annoying to take them out.

Gods I can take or leave. It's the kind of thing you want to throw in if things get a little stale (Doesn't really happen) or if someone in your group seems to have a strategy they always use and you want to mix it up.

5th player: only needed if you want to play with 5 players.

Mystics: I quite like them but as expansion they're not really necessary.
We always play with them, they're a nice minor addition.

Gods: not a big fan of this. I had rather had more cards than extra rules.
We tried them a few times but agreed it's not really adding a lot of fun so we leave them out.

Basically I'd say the base game is good as it is, unless you want to play with 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:

Same here! I've cracked everything open except for the two expansions. BR is my favourite game and I love it so much the way it is. I will open the expansions one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.