$15.00
$20.00
$5.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Risk 2210 A.D.» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Maps, New Cards, Custom Variants, New Ending Mechanism and More... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Goodrich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I bought and played Risk 2210 back in 2008. Then on this site I discovered The Invasion of the Giant Amoebas & Zombies, played both, loved both. And then that got the creative wheels spinning. Every game we've aimed to try some new scenario, rule tweak, map, etc. Tomorrow night we play game 75 and thus there have been a lot of ideas tried, some great, some not. Many of our early ideas I have already posted on this site, but now they are ALL up through the link below. I hope some of you make use and enjoy.

https://sites.google.com/a/alumni.nd.edu/se-blog/risk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds interesting did you incorporate any stuff you found on BGG?

I see you used the day/night concept on Mercury but in a much simpler form than I did.

How many things one Venus did you give names of the actual landmasses on Venus? Also, my version of Venus has ocean territories because, well.. it has oceans after terraforming.

Your Mars link points at BGG.

Is the "collective" faction you have your own creation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Goodrich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hawkman, sorry for the significantly delayed response but it was such an effort getting all of that organized and up that I just wanted to post it and walk away for awhile. That 75th risk night I mentioned in my opening post was also our last risk night for the foreseeable future. The group I play with voted and we agreed to move onto D&D. Someone else is DM and I am really enjoying the break from rule/scenario writing.

There are many things I found on BGG that got incorporated, like the Antarctica map is just default assumed we play with each game. I tried my best to give credit where credit was do on the individual pages when someone else was the source of the idea like Zombies, Amoebas, Factions.

On all my maps, none of my territory names are based on actual names of locations in the area. They are all just names I made up. Only the names of whole astronomical bodies are reflective of reality, so the moons of the gas giants and the dwarf planets in the outer solar system map have the correct names but then individual territories on said objects are made up. With Venus I mostly went with names somehow connected to women (from mythology, history, pop culture, girls I found hot, making fun of my friends and subtly calling them girls). 7 years later looking back at it I would make completely different territory names now but I don't play that map enough to justify the effort. Water territories make sense on Venus but I was afraid it would make my map too clustered, which was an especially large concern of mine as Venus was my 2nd map and my first, Mars, was definitely way too clustered. That's why I made my Mars link come back to BGG, if someone wants to play on Mars then they can find better than my map. The rest I'm pretty proud of. Venus has some immature names, and it wasn't until Saturn that I realized the importance of putting a picture of the continent on the territory card but other than those minor annoyances they are good maps. Oh and my Ganymede is a direct copy of the Europa map I found on BGG. I feel that map is too big for Europa and they need to have more fun with the underocean so I made my own Europa and just relabeled that one as Ganymede.

In factions, the federation and collective are our own creation, but the federation is really just the primus oceanus of space. I believe each also has an added ability that is not in the Frontline factions version.

EDIT: A touch of reality for the maps though, I looked up the mean radius of the moon, assumed a perfect sphere, calculated the surface and then divided it by 14 (14 territories on the 2210 Moon map) and that was the ratio I used in creating Jupiter's Moons and outward. So for the Kuiper belt, wikipedia has a table with the mean radius of all ones of significant size, copied that into excel, applied my ratio and used that to determine how many territories each object got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds pretty cool.

How'd you come up with that map of Mercury? it seems rather... elongated...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Goodrich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lol yea. I printed Venus and put it on a 20x30 poster board. There was space on the bottom and so I made Mercury's dimensions to fit in the left over space. Once I came up with the day/night hemisphere idea I decided I wanted them all an equal 7 territories and then arrangement of territories within each continent was random.

The 20x30 boards work ok but over years they warped a little. On the later maps I printed on cardstock and used electrical tape on the backside to make a folding board. It works pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hunh, interesting approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.