United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played SYNOD last night and loved it so we figured lets play GearSeed tonight and it felt a little off. So I headed off to work and I was thinking about it and I think we goofed up. By we I mean me as the rule reader. We played two player and each had our own little world in front of us, having recently played Suburbia. So we each ended up with a small 7 card world but upon reflection I think this is supposed to be like Carcassonne where we are all building one world. I was going to write up a review and decided to wait to make sure that my line of thinking is correct so I review the game as intended. Sharing a board makes it much more tactical than our game felt and I think we played it wrong. I quoted the rulebook below and I took "any other free card" as any of my free cards and that is where I think I messed up.

Other than that I loved the artwork and theme. I really love the connection between SYNOD and GearSeed as well and I enjoyed GearSeed, it just felt a little flat due to lack of interaction and I think that was my fault. I look forward to playing it properly and getting a proper review up.

This is from the Rulebook:

Rulebook wrote:
Building
When a player Builds a card, they select 1 card from their hand and place it face up next to any other Free card. A Free card is a card that has less than 4 cards next to it. In GearSeed, “next to” means orthogonally. When a player Builds a card, several things happen in this order: Trigger, Caste Bonus, Ability, and Seasonal Bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cross
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey there. Yes, it is supposed to be "one world". In the setup instructions it says to take the top 3 cards of the seed deck and lay them side by side, face up. This is the starting point for all players. I know that it is going to take us a few more play throughs to get it all right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much obliged!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah this wasn't immediately clear to me as well. I had to visualize it a bit and then it made sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I knew I had to have mucked something up, Synod was such a tight small game and there was a weird disconnect with this one I figured it was something I misunderstood.

I read that manual backwards and forwards a half dozen times and totally missed it. I should not read manuals when tired. Emphasis is mine.

Well done rulebook that I can't read properly, obviously wrote:
SETUP
Shuffle together the 44 Seed cards, forming the deck. Deal 3 Seed cards, face down, to each player. Players may look at the cards they are dealt, but keep them secret from the other players. Move the deck to the side of the play area, and place the top 3 cards of the deck, face up, in the middle of the play area, side by side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.