Subject: The Khans Favor - perform multiple times? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sorry if this was asked already, I searched but didn't find it.

Page 6 of the English rules says “the dice themselves indicate how many times you can perform the action“ and mentions an exception of the 5 coins action space.

So if I place a dice value 4 on Khan's Favor, can I perform it 4 times? (I.e. take 4 gold and 8 camels). I am guessing the answer is NO, but not sure why they didn't mention that exception in the rules (or they very well did and I missed it).

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure that action is a once-only regardless of the value of the die played there. It would be way too powerful to get 6 gold for a single die. I expect it is in the rules, but I don't have access to them at the moment.

Another point regarding the Khan's favor is that no two dice of the same color can be used there (it is considered one big action space).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
my shoes are laced with irony
mbmbmbmbmb
One time regardless of die value. Page 7 English rules... look at the examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
mb
jcarmeeple wrote:
Sorry if this was asked already, I searched but didn't find it.

Page 6 of the English rules says “the dice themselves indicate how many times you can perform the action“ and mentions an exception of the 5 coins action space.

So if I place a dice value 4 on Khan's Favor, can I perform it 4 times? (I.e. take 4 gold and 8 camels). I am guessing the answer is NO, but not sure why they didn't mention that exception in the rules (or they very well did and I missed it).

Thanks

No 2 dice of the same colour can be placed.
But if you play the character with the white die, and you happen to have a black die too, you could perform this action three times (if noone else is already there and if the values of the dice match).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
France
Toulouse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maho wrote:

But if you play the character with the white die, and you happen to have a black die too, you could perform this action three times (if noone else is already there and if the values of the dice match).

The colour restriction only applies to player's colour, it does not apply to black dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
mb
NeoFitz wrote:
maho wrote:

The colour restriction only applies to player's colour, it does not apply to black dice.

Of course, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maho wrote:
NeoFitz wrote:
maho wrote:

Of course, thanks.

Well the distinction means in theory one player could do it four times with a black die each time in a four player game if th other players let him/her accumulate the necessary camels and didn't take the spot themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
maho wrote:
NeoFitz wrote:
maho wrote:

Of course, thanks.

Well the distinction means in theory one player could do it four times with a black die each time in a four player game if th other players let him/her accumulate the necessary camels and didn't take the spot themselves.

Well the discussion quoted does not address the exact question asked by the OP, which is how many times per die is the action performed, to which the answer is one time per die regardless of value.

Some responses seem to imply that multiple dice can be placed there in a single turn, which is not correct. Only one die may be place on the Khan's Favor per turn. Perhaps I am misinterpreting the posts though (entirely possible as I have not had my coffee yet this morning ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boywithcap wrote:
hestiansun wrote:
maho wrote:
NeoFitz wrote:
maho wrote:

Of course, thanks.

Well the discussion quoted does not address the exact question asked by the OP, which is how many times per die is the action performed, to which the answer is one time per die regardless of value.

Some responses seem to imply that multiple dice can be placed there in a single turn, which is not correct. Only one die may be place on the Khan's Favor per turn. Perhaps I am misinterpreting the posts though (entirely possible as I have not had my coffee yet this morning ).

I don't think anyone said anything that would in any way imply one could place multiple dice as one action. Every post referenced either placing a die (singular) or using three actions to place.

I posted because Maho said that if you have the white die, you can do it three times with the white, the black, and your color. Someone clarified that black dice are always considered neutral regardless of who places them, and Maho said "of course".

*MY* point was to emphasize how neofitz's clarification was in fact a clarification, since I wasn't sure if Maho was saying "of course" because he agreed with the reclassification or if he thought neofitz was saying the same thing, which he was not.

It's a VERY common misconception that you cannot repeat colors. Neofitz was pointing out that you don't HAVE to have a white die to place three plus times at the Khan's favor. You can do it with two black dice.

That I feel is an important distinction, and why I posted myself.

None of this had any bearing on the OP's question, but I think it's always worth removing ambiguity that may be introduced, even if it's not specific to the question. It costs nothing to add a reply to this thread.

So, not really sure why you feel a need to police the discussion. But at least IMO, the contributions by neofitz and I made sense in the context of the thread itself, not just OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:

but I think it's always worth removing ambiguity that may be introduced, even if it's not specific to the question.

I'm glad we agree, as this was exactly my intent in posting, not to police the thread.

Although you do not see it, there is a possibility of misinterpretation of the responses and possibly the OP's question, which is why I responded by reiterating the exact question.

Probably this will not be explained well, but since I've got a minute before dinner, I will explain...

The issue lies in the responses in relation to the original context of the thread. The quote of the rules above stating "The dice themselves indicate how many times you can perform an action..." is referring to taking an action multiple times during a single turn, which the game allows (i.e. the city cards). The OP is asking about performing an action multiple times in a single turn as well.

Then the replies discuss taking the action of the Khan's Favor multiple times with multiple dice, but do not specifically note that this would occur on separate turns, or that this would be take place over a round, rather than a single turn. Phrases in the responses such as "...you could perform this action three times..." and "...one player could do it four times with a black die each time..." do not necessarily indicate a shift away from the single turn context.

Of course thanks to your reply, we now know for sure that multiple turns was implied. But since this is a rules forum, then, as you stated, it is best to remove the ambiguity.

Editing to say that I hope the above does not come across as inflammatory or negative in any way, as I have noticed some of your postings on bgg before, Matt, and really liked what you have to say (in a particular Mombasa thread specifically). I just like discussing nuances sometimes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vandeweyer
Belgium
Haaltert
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcarmeeple wrote:

So if I place a dice value 4 on Khan's Favor, can I perform it 4 times?

Actually, “the dice themselves indicate how many times you can perform the action“ only counts on city actions.

All other actions have another way of use for the dice, but the actions can only be performed only once per die/dice placement:
> 3 coins action space: is always available. Place any die to gain 3 coins (pips are not important here) There's no fee for not being the first player to place a die here
> 5 coins action space: take 5 coins
> market: pips (of the die with lowest value) indicate how far to the right max on the track you can go to choose goods
> travel: pips (of the die with lowest value) indicate how far max you can travel
> contracts: pips indicate how far to the right max you can go to choose 1 or 2 contracts (only 1 contract if you place die with 1 pip though)
> Favor of Khan: first die placed here can be whatever - from then on if you place a die here it must be = or > in pips. The action itself is always the same, no matter how many pips are on the die you placed: gain 1 gold OR 1 silk OR 1 pepper + 2 camels

I hope that clears it out for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.