Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say I have Nordic or Polonia with the lakewalk ability, Can I move a worker onto a mech already on a lake and then move the mech+worker off the lake? Alternatively, can I carry a worker onto the lake with a mech, transfer it to another mech on the lake, move the second mech off the lake, then move the worker one more space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Quintana
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question.

My take on it is yes you can but not on lakes.

The movement action says that picking up and dropping off is a free action. So, if you had a mech and worker you can pick up the worker and move to another non-lake territory and drop off the worker. If there is another mech in that territory then it could pick up the worker and move it to another non-lake territory and drop it off. Then the worker will still be able to move to any non-lake territory (if you have the third movement available).

The rules explicitly say that a worker cannot be left on a lake territory and may not move off of the lake without the assistance of a mech. Since you cannot drop off a worker on a lake then the other mech cannot pick it up.

Which means, in my opinion, you cannot do what you are asking.

Also, I do not believe there is any ability that allows workers to move onto lakes, and therefore cannot move onto a lake and then be picked up.

At least that is my 2-cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
Disclaimer: Not an actual cat
badge
50 Shades of Fur
mbmbmbmbmb
stenmur wrote:
Interesting question.

The movement action says that picking up and dropping off is a free action. So, if you had a mech and worker you can pick up the worker and move to another non-lake territory and drop off the worker. If there is another mech in that territory then it could pick up the worker and move it to another non-lake territory and drop it off. Then the worker will still be able to move to any non-lake territory (if you have the third movement available).

The rules explicitly say that a worker cannot be left on a lake territory and may not move off of the lake without the assistance of a mech. Since you cannot drop off a worker on a lake then the other mech cannot pick it up.

Also, I do not believe there is any ability that allows workers to move onto lakes, and therefore cannot move onto a lake and then be picked up.

I understood this rule so that you can't leave the workers (or resources) alone at the lake - to prevent people from "hiding" them from the opponents. A convoy should be okay in my interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the "lakewalk" ability doesn't apply to workers, so they cannot move onto a lake, regardless of whether there is a mech there or not. The only way they can move onto a lake is if they are carried there by a mech.

I would say you can, however, have the first mech carry a worker to a lake that already has a second mech, then have the second mech move that same worker off the lake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
stenmur wrote:
Interesting question.

I would agree that the worker can't walk of his own accord into the lake and then get picked up by the mech, because the ability that lets units move into lakes only applies to mechs and characters.

I don't see any reason the worker couldn't be brought in by one mech and then picked up by the second mech, though. You're not allowed to abandon workers (or resources) on the lake, and you're not doing that. If you did have to keep a worker with the mech that brought it in, how far would this tracking extend? Can the other mech move the worker out on the next turn? Would it apply to resources, too, since they're under the same "can't abandon on a lake" rules as workers? But resources can obviously switch ownership while on a lake (after combat)...

The rulebook text (from the PNP rulebook, don't want to go dig through my trunk for the physical one) says:

Quote:
If a mech transports workers onto a lake (during a Move action or when retreating) or if a character or mech transports resources onto a lake, you may not leave those workers or resources on the lake after moving off of it, nor may a worker move off of the lake without the assistance of the mech.

I don't see anything suggesting that the workers aren't considered to be in the lake territory for purposes of other mechs picking them up, or that you can't drop them off, you just can't leave them there when you move off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have mentioned, workers cannot move onto lakes. They can be carried onto a lake by a mech with the right tech, but that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You all have come to the right conclusion. A worker can be transported by a mech onto a lake (if a mech has a lake-related ability, but a worker cannot move on its own onto a lake, even if a mech is on a lake. If two mechs are on a lake (even mid-movement if they have speed), they may exchange cargo (workers and resources).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roni Jaakkola
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Hey there, nice to meet you! @Nashtanir in Twitter
mbmbmbmbmb
As already stated, no, workers cannot move there. I guess it is the same situation as when trying to move worker to a hex where there is an enemy mech - you cannot do that. However, I guess you can do that if they are inside your own mech but if I recall correctly the opponent does not lose popularity for scarying those workers off (?). So attacker cannot carry workers around to make the defender to lose popularity.

To the lake situation, however, can you move a mech with workers to a lake, transfer workers to another mech on that lake and then move off? So does the mech moving onto lake have to be the same mech that is moving the workers off from the lake? EDIT: Jamey just answered this question above:
jameystegmaier wrote:
If two mechs are on a lake (even mid-movement if they have speed), they may exchange cargo (workers and resources).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
No, the "lakewalk" ability doesn't apply to workers, so they cannot move onto a lake, regardless of whether there is a mech there or not. The only way they can move onto a lake is if they are carried there by a mech.

I would say you can, however, have the first mech carry a worker to a lake that already has a second mech, then have the second mech move that same worker off the lake.

Does the "riverwalk" ability also not apply to workers?
Hence, workers would always need to be transported by mech's or character to get out of their river enclosed area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the abilities on the faction mat only apply to the character and the mechs, not the workers. So for workers to get out of your home area on their own, you'll need to build a Mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tod_13 wrote:

Hence, workers would always need to be transported by mech's or character to get out of their river enclosed area?

If you build your mine in your home area they can travel to the middle tunnel territories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tod_13 wrote:
Does the "riverwalk" ability also not apply to workers?

Also note that the character can't transport workers; only mechs can transport workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
So, can a mech take a worker onto the lake in one turn, stop there, and continue carrying the worker in the next turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infi01 wrote:
So, can a mech take a worker onto the lake in one turn, stop there, and continue carrying the worker in the next turn?

Yes, the instructions for the Lakewalk and Submerge abilities are very clear. You can take workers on and off of a lake with a mech, you cannot leave them without a mech on the lake, and they cannot leave a lake without a mech to carry them. It says nothing about preventing your mech + workers from ending a turn on a lake.

Thematically, you're travelling inside the mech as a worker. Two mechs in a lake will rendezvous and a worker can hop from one to another. The workers can hang out in a mech on a lake at the end of a turn without a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.