Subject: Many Questions for Solo game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Carrasco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I just got done playing for first solo game and I had a hard time figuring out what to do. There were lots of questions that I'm hoping can be cleared up.

I was competing against Starbuck.

1) There are two headings that say 1-6/7+. I'm assuming that means rounds 1-6 do this action and then rounds 7-12 do this action. However there is nothing in the rulebook about this. Is this true?

2) The white house/black house headings. Is the captain supposed to put their meeple on the Townhall to build and then they must build one of the buildings listed? What happens if none of those buildings are available to build? Does the captain move to the next column and build from there (i.e. if he can't build anything in the white column, would he try to build from the black column)?

3) In the prepare and launch section it says "Player's Ship +1, or 4 min". WHAT?! Am I missing something or is there nothing that explains what this means? And where does the ship launch to? What happens if both ships are out at sea already?

4) At the General Store, the rulebook states that you can "sell any number of wood or food for $1, and any number of brick for $2". I'm assuming that means for $1 or $2 EACH, and not $1 or $2 total. Correct?

5) End of the game. The rulebook states that right before final scoring, the movement phase is repeated until all ships return. Does that mean each ship will move up one space, whale/sea tokens are drawn and selected, and then they are returned to the bag, each ship moves up one more spot, new tokens are drawn and selected, over and over, etc.? Or is it just repeated one time, with one set of drawing whale tokens and then all ships immediately move the Return space?

I was trying to figure this out as I went along but not sure I played it correctly as I very handily beat Starbuck. It was not even close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
1. That's right. It's tucked in the second to last paragraph on page 10, that spaces with two actions change after a certain round, though it doesn't explicitly say that that's what those numbers on the rondel represent.

2. Yup, just like any other player, the Captain places the worker on the Town Hall to build. If all the buildings in that column are built, he doesn't build and simply follows the Captain's Orders to determine a new action.

3. It's 1 space farther than the player's farthest ship on the track, but at least the 4 food space. (so if the player is on the 2 space, Starbuck still goes to the 4, not the 3). This should have been more explicit. If both his ships are out already, back to the Captain's Orders.

4. That's right. food/wood are $1 each when sold. Brick is $2 each when sold.

5. After round 12, there's one movement and whaling phase as normal. After that's complete, only the movement phase is repeated, but the whaling phase isn't. So all the ships come in in order, without collecting additional tokens. You can effectively move all ships to the return space, but you should still perform the Return actions in the order the ships would have returned.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Carrasco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Thanks Nat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.