Subject: Ranged Attack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Corry
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
I'm unsure if you can make a ranged attack in your own space or not? Rules state you can target ANY street space in a straight line, that's the only requirement for a ranged attack.

The rules also state that ranged fights only occur on the streets because the district "walls" block LoS.
But if I'm in a street space, surely I have LoS to the space I'm in and can make a ranged attack there. And if that's the case, why can't I make a ranged attack inside a district space targeting a monster in the same space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
Maybe there is a lot of cover to hide behind in the buildings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
No. Not in the same space.

"If a Hero has the Ranged ability (either naturally, or granted by an Upgrade card in his possession), he may Start a Fight against the Monsters in a Space far from his own. "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warlock00 wrote:

"If a Hero has the Ranged ability (either naturally, or granted by an Upgrade card in his possession), he may Start a Fight against the Monsters in a Space far from his own. "

The word may doesn't contradict the ability to start a ranged attack in your own space.

I will check the rules again, but I can't remember any thing I read in the book that says you cannot start ranged in your own space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renato Bruno
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's just a normal attack in your space. i.e. the Sins player gets to roll dice simultaneously with the Hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Australia
Girraween
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
renza22 wrote:
I think it's just a normal attack in your space. i.e. the Sins player gets to roll dice simultaneously with the Hero.

It's not, the rulebook states that the hero rolls their dice first, as if the target is killed, they do not get to fight back. And if they are not killed they MAY move up to two spaces, and if they then reach the same space as the hero, they may roll to attack which then opposes the hero's original role with regards to defence dice.

I was originally thinking the sins player could I guess roll at the same time but only if they get into combat do their results count, but that may affect their decision to move into combat or not. It's interesting mechanically because if the heroes perform a ranged attack and roll lots of defense, they might know it's not worth attempting to move and attack.

From the rules...

1. The Hero rolls first and applies his results. If any Monsters are killed, they are immediately removed from the board.
2. Then, if any Monsters in the targeted Space survived, they Move up to 2 Spaces to try and Fight back against the Hero. Normal Movement rules apply, so these Monsters can’t leave a Space occupied by a Hero. In case the Monsters are unable to reach the Space occupied by
the current hero, they do not move at all.
3. If these surviving Monsters are able to reach
the Space with the current Hero, the Sins Player makes his Fight roll according to the Monsters currently in the Hero’s Space (including any that may have been there already). The effects of this roll are resolved against the Hero’s initial roll.

EDIT: having re-read your post I think you're actually saying you can't perform a ranged attack in the same space, which I agree with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Australia
Girraween
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the spirit of the way it's described I assume you can't perform a ranged attack in the same space, but its not explicit. It's certainly advantageous to do so, so that the sin's monsters cannot fight back if you kill them.

From the rules...

If a Hero has the Ranged ability (either naturally, or granted by an Upgrade card in his possession), he may Start a Fight against the Monsters in a Space far from his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
trilamb wrote:
Warlock00 wrote:

The word may doesn't contradict the ability to start a ranged attack in your own space.

The word may doesn't have anything to do with what he is saying. There is no rule saying you can start a ranged attack in melee. There is only a rule that you may attack a space far from his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Australia
Girraween
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The word "may" exists because it is not compulsory to make a Ranged Attack, you can choose not to do it obviously. "May" is not in reference to "in a Space far from his own."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Corry
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
I'm leaning towards you can't make a ranged attack in your space. The top diagram on p.37 shows the spaces Roco could target for a ranged attack, his space isn't marked as one of those. I think that's the intent of the ranged attack rule, but it could have been written more clearly.
So this means that all abilities that trigger when you perform a ranged attack, like Roco's +2 hits, would not work if you fight in your space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Knees
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't make a ranged attack in your own space, it would be just a standard fight in your space. Watch the play through video and you will see a moment when Spencer takes a wound to leave a space with a monster, just so he could make a ranged attack. Case closed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JJJBonez wrote:
You can't make a ranged attack in your own space, it would be just a standard fight in your space. Watch the play through video and you will see a moment when Spencer takes a wound to leave a space with a monster, just so he could make a ranged attack. Case closed

For me that still leaves open the question whether you can make a normal attack in your area, or no attack at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
webs1 wrote:
JJJBonez wrote:

For me that still leaves open the question whether you can make a normal attack in your area, or no attack at all.

If you have the equipment, of course you can. And you also may not attack if you want, obvioulsy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
webs1 wrote:
JJJBonez wrote:

If you have the equipment, of course you can. And you also may not attack if you want, obvioulsy.

So when you've got a shooter without any other weapon card you can't attack in your time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
A shooter/ranged hero can still perform a normal (non-ranged) fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Knees
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
webs1 wrote:
JJJBonez wrote:

that's what I meant by standard attack. So yes you can still make a normal attack in your space with a hero with the ranged ability. The ability is just not used in this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samurai Munky

Westford
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding to this topic;

can you make a ranged attack to a far tile while a different monster is in a tile with you?

I would think yes. If you kill all the monsters in the targeted region there is no attack back/move 2 spaces. If you don't and the monsters are not occupied with another hero in that tile, they move 2 spaces closer.

If any monsters not killed by the ranged attack make it to you, the monster already in your square aids the attack like normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Page 37 shows this exact situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevis Marlar
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Yep, it does.
And, with that, it establishes that a ranged attacker can make a ranged attack (at a target not in his own space) while there are monsters in his own space.
I do not think this is very far away from the point: A ranged attacker can make a ranged attack at a monster in his own space.
If you can shoot at the creepy crawly down the street, while there is one standing next to you; then you should also be able to shoot at the one standing next to you.
The definition of shoot in the paragraph above being make a ranged attack with all the described advantages of that attack.
I think the weight of the words and pictures in the rule book leans against the interpretation that allows ranged shots in the same space. Mechanically speaking, though, it's a forced rule.
Again: if Rocco can aim down his sights at a far away monster while another is drooling on him, then he is probably able to aim down those sights at the one drooling on him. This makes more sense, thematically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Temporin
Italy
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mb
"The border between the
Districts and the Street Spaces blocks Line of Sight,
therefore Ranged Fights cannot occur if the Hero is inside a District, or if he wishes to target the Monsters inside a District. Ranged Fights only occur on the Streets. "

I think that the phrase I highlighted in bold confirming that the ranged combat can not make in the attacker's zone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mikyjollyjoker wrote:
"The border between the
Districts and the Street Spaces blocks Line of Sight,
therefore Ranged Fights cannot occur if the Hero is inside a District, or if he wishes to target the Monsters inside a District. Ranged Fights only occur on the Streets. "

I think that the phrase I highlighted in bold confirming that the ranged combat can not make in the attacker's zone

A district means a house/room as opposed to a street. It doesn't say anything about attacking monsters in the same street tile as the character. Street tiles being the only ones where ranged fights can occur in the first place.
So, if you are in a district, you are never able to use ranged attack. If you are in a street tile, you are, no matter whether the monster is in the same tile or farer away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
webs1 wrote:
A district means a house/room as opposed to a street. It doesn't say anything about attacking monsters in the same street tile as the character. Street tiles being the only ones where ranged fights can occur in the first place.
So, if you are in a district, you are never able to use ranged attack. If you are in a street tile, you are, no matter whether the monster is in the same tile or farer away.

You are correct that Miky's quote does not actually address being able to use a Ranged Fight in the Hero's own space.

But there are other quotes from the rule book earlier in this thread which refute being able to initiate a Ranged Fight in the same space as you. At that point it's just a normal Fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
webs1 wrote:

You are correct that Miky's quote does not actually address being able to use a Ranged Fight in the Hero's own space.

But there are other quotes from the rule book earlier in this thread which refute being able to initiate a Ranged Fight in the same space as you. At that point it's just a normal Fight.

You are of course right. I (mistakenly) thought the question was whether a player with ranged attack could attack monsters in his space at all.
He can, but as you say, it's then a normal attack, not a ranged one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.