Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Romain Estorc
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
Hi fellow wargamers!

Do you know this game, Napoleon Saga? Even if it's not yet on the market (the kickstarter is due for this fall), I had the pleasure to playtest it.
It's not your average traditional wargame: as you can read on the BGG description, it's a card game; but not a card-driven one nor a light casual card game, even not a deckbuilding game, even if that possibility is included in the optional rules of the game.
It's what I would call a "tactical wargame with cards".
To put it in a nutshell, you build an army (or use one of the pre-generated French or English ones) represented by cards in your hand, you draw secret objectives and go.
The simplicity is just deceptive: the tactical options and moves are very precise, adapted to the nature of the units, with few numbers (morale, combat value, initiative...). The result is both complex and elegant.
The designer of the game is a napoleonic era connoisseur with a knack for respecting details to the level of historical accounts on practical effectiveness of units, be they cavalry, artillery, guards...
The board game represents a schematic organization of the battlefield, with columns and different zones where you move your units. The main goal, aside from the secret objectives that give points but do not guarantee victory, is to remove ranks in the opponent's army.
I have played the game, and read the alpha and beta version of the rules: it has what it takes for a game to become a hit and rejoin the "hotness" section on the left!
If, by chance, you come to Paris, go the oldest game shop in France, L'Œuf Cube: the manager is the designer of this game, and i'm sure he will be pleased to show you the prototype. Illustrations are based upon historical paintings and representations of armies from this era.
If you're not francophone, don't be upset, that's why I'm posting this on the BGG forum: the game will be first released in English (even if the Emperor would not have been happy with that! )
If you go to the GenCon, you could have the possibility to discuss the details of the game with the designer, he will be there.
I assure you this card game, quite unique in its mechanics, should be known and played. Even if I'm not well known on these forums, I am an "old" gamer and geek, I've played so many games I can't remember all of them, so trust me when I say the mechanics and tactical depth of Napoleon Saga is a real thing! You can suscribe for the kickstarter when it will be released. Retail price should place this game in the 35-45 $ range I think, and of course expansions for other famous armies of the Napoleonic Wars will be included in the future!
Have a good day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

Do you know how it differs from 'Eagles:Waterloo'. Looks quite similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
General
badge
The War Room
mbmbmbmbmb
Link: Napoleon Saga

Artwork looks nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Undead Grumly wrote:

If you go to the GenCon, you could have the possibility to discuss the details of the game with the designer, he will be there.

Any idea if he will attend any of the European conventions like Spiel, Crisis or Salute ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Estorc
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
Ashiefan wrote:

Hi!

No it's very different: it is not a collectible card game, there are cards that possess more or less value but it's a numerical value for building your army, like points in a miniature wargame. There is a board, representing the battlefield, and two sorts of cards: the units,(hence the qualification as "wargame with cards") and special actions, events and modifications that you play in your hand, like a CCG indeed, but those cards can be used in two ways: initiative (there is a number on them) or special action described in the textbox.
Napoleon Saga is a hybrid game. The units could have been represented with miniatures, with stats like in any other historical wargame. But the pace of the game is way faster so there are cards and a more narrow view of the battlefield, more schematic i should say, but with many tactical options: flanking, stealth, artillery, special buildings added to the battlefield, evasion manœuvres, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romain Estorc
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Undead Grumly wrote:

Any idea if he will attend any of the European conventions like Spiel, Crisis or Salute ?

Hi!

I don't know about his participation to these conventions. Maybe Essen, I can't tell you for sure right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milis
United Kingdom
Cranham
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
smic wrote:

Artwork looks nice!

Hi guys,

Thanks for the heads up. Do the cards represent divisions? What about terrain effects from the battle fields?
I play Le Retour de l'Empereur which I think simulates the battles really well.

It will be interesting to see the gameplay of this game.

The art work is great!

Regards,

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
smic wrote:

Artwork looks nice!

I thought to myself "That looks as good as the art in one of my Osprey books,", and on the website it's revealed that it's the same artist (Giuseppe Rava) laugh

I'll keep my eye out for the kickstarter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Undead Grumly wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:

Hi!

No it's very different: it is not a collectible card game, there are cards that possess more or less value but it's a numerical value for building your army, like points in a miniature wargame. There is a board, representing the battlefield, and two sorts of cards: the units,(hence the qualification as "wargame with cards") and special actions, events and modifications that you play in your hand, like a CCG indeed, but those cards can be used in two ways: initiative (there is a number on them) or special action described in the textbox.
Napoleon Saga is a hybrid game. The units could have been represented with miniatures, with stats like in any other historical wargame. But the pace of the game is way faster so there are cards and a more narrow view of the battlefield, more schematic i should say, but with many tactical options: flanking, stealth, artillery, special buildings added to the battlefield, evasion manœuvres, etc.

I believe you that it's different but almost this whole section could be used to describe Eagles (apart from the board, initiative rule, and that it used to be a collectable game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mb

If the board is of the left flank/right flank and centre variety there wouldn't be a substantial difference. Any pics of the board available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

If the board is of the left flank/right flank and centre variety there wouldn't be a substantial difference. Any pics of the board available?

http://www.napoleonsaga.com/en/
Jim, here's a link to the site which shows cards and game board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mb

Thanks Keith. The game board is highly abstracted. Shame. I was hoping there might be more of the historical battlefield represented on it. To be honest, I play a lot of minis and I am not clear (when terrain is a key component of that) how this game would translate across from a card game.

That said the illustrations are great and I'm a sucker for looks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

Thanks Keith. The game board is highly abstracted. Shame. I was hoping there might be more of the historical battlefield represented on it. To be honest, I play a lot of minis and I am not clear (when terrain is a key component of that) how this game would translate across from a card game.

That said the illustrations are great and I'm a sucker for looks...

Jim, I concur with your sentiments but who is Keith?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mb

Sorry Kevin. I can only blame my 8 year old who dragged me out of bed at 6 this morning despite this being the holidays. That and early onset senility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
General
badge
The War Room
mbmbmbmbmb
winheath wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Romero
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hello,

Before endeavoring to answer your questions, I wish to thank you for the interest in Napoleon Saga you have manifested via this post.

My objective, when creating Napoleon Saga (NS) was to create a fusion of historical games and wargames. Card games such as Eagles and Dixit (CCG) have paved the way of modernization of card gaming, but I believe that a lot of gaming technology has been created in the last decade and could be used to modernize wargames.

Napoleon Saga is set to provide the experience of a battle that could have taken place during the Belgium campaign. For example if Grouchy had met a second time the Prussians on the field of battle after the battle of Wavre, the day following Waterloo. Or if Napoléon and Wellington had chosen to hold a recon skirmish, on the 18th of June 1815, instead of a major engagement.

The construction of your army deck if based on a points system corresponding to the cost of each unit, leading to confrontations that vary depending on the army compositions selected. Nevertheless scenarios can be used to generate a historical setup to model, for example, the French assault of Hougoumont, or the battle of Quatre-bras, etc.

It became very clear to me at a very early stage of designing NS, that movement of troops be very impactful in the game, making the design and inclusion of a player board paramount to my vision. This board is comprised of 18 slots for each player, 14 of which correspond to your three lines of battle. This setup allows one of the coolest -in my opinion- game mechanics of NS: a defeat condition. If, at the end of any player’s turn your front line has 3 or more vacant slots, you immediately loose the engagement, your army scattered and unable to hold the enemies. Agrementing the ways to end the game with a defeat condition that cares about the positioning of your units makes the game more active, forcing players to send troops to the front.

While the player boards of NS represent a battlefield, some strategy cards will allow modifications to be applied. These terrain cards will progressively get added to the battlefield, indicating strategic locations occupied by one army or the other, able to be captured by your opponent, but offering bonuses to the troops holding them. The locations of the terrain cards can be altered during a random match or preset during a historic scenario.

The precise nature of the player boards’ graphics is iteratively converging to its final state, but could still see some changes.
We will continue to present some cards of NS on our Facebook page. You are more than welcome to visit it in order to admire the amazing artwork of the Giuseppe Rava and be informed of the progress of our project.
I remain available to answer any and all questions you have about NS!

Best regards
Frederic,

www.napoleonsaga.com
https://www.facebook.com/NapoleonSaga/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
smic wrote:
winheath wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:

This is a very attractive image....but I think I would rather have a generic green "battlefield", than an unrelated artistic representation underneath my army.

I'm definitely interested in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taylor
Scotland
Kintore
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really interesting. Any idea when this might go to Kickstarter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Romero
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hello,

Hi Andrew, we're expecting a launch for the end of the year.
More informations coming soon (we still have a few things to sort out).

Thank you all for your interest in Napoleon Saga.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks interesting. Great illustrations, though the board may be too abstracted for me.

I confess I hoped to find a version of Saga for Napoleonics (ideally on a board rather pure minis).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Romero
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hello Everyone,

That's right, we're coming to Kickstarter in may !
The game is complete and have been tested with succes. We're now working on the last finishing touches and some surprises to be revealed in time

We'll give you the actual date in a few weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.