Hide
13 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: good for a solo player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Popov Victor
msg tools
hello! i love co-op games, but i usualy play them solo. until now i have played forbidden desert, pandemic, dead panic, pandemic the cure. all of the pretty light family friendly games. i'm looking to go to the next level, but NOT Robinson Crusoe level! ) and Eldritch Horror looks like the exact thing that i'm looking for .... not to heavy but still not as light as the games mentioned above. i was wondering if you could tell me if the base game is enough for a solo player? or will i be needing to start buying expansions asap? how much life does the base game have?

also, what are other similar games to this? by similar i mean co-op meadium-heavy games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game will give you enough plays to see if you like the game but if you do then add forsaken lore asap to give more variety then add the rest of the expansions at your leisure. You will need a bigger time slot than your other games. Robinson Crusoe isn't easy to learn but once you have got over the first bump its a great game if you like deckbuilders consider the legendary encounter games especially alien.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer yes, Eldritch Horror is fun solo, although I suggest if you do play solo that you consider running at least two characters instead of playing with only one character since that significantly reduces the chance of a single bad random event ruining your chances of winning. (The game is hard enough to win as it is!)

As far as analogies to similar games, I like to say that Eldrtich Horror is a tentacled love child of Pandemic and Tales of the Arabian Knights. The cooperative feel of the game is similar to Pandemic, hot spots appear around the map of the world that you need to keep in check to avoid losing while simultaneously you need to complete certain other objectives to meet goals (called Mysteries in the game) in order to win. And like Pandemic on your turn you take some actions from a list of common actions plus special actions your character provides and each character has unique useful abilities they lend to the team.

Meanwhile after each turn you get a random encounter that feels a bit like Tales of the Arabian Knights. The encounter is a short paragraph or two that you are presented a choice or that you roll dice based on your character's skills in order to succeed. The encounters are pseudo random in that certain skills tend to be more useful in certain types of locales, such as Influence tending to be useful in City encounters while Observation tends to be handy in the wilderness and Lore useful in other worldly spots.

Eldritch Horror is much harder to beat and much longer than Pandemic. That's not saying it's better or worse, of course, since some people think Pandemic is too easy to beat and some people think Eldritch Horror is too hard to beat. It's definitely not a game like Pandemic you just throw on the table and say "let's play", you need to have at least a few hours available. It is a lot of fun though and despite seeming to some people like a random game there are ample ways to mitigate bad luck in the game as can be attested to by the expert players on the forums (which don't include me) who have win rates over 50%. The encounters in the game aren't quite as prolific as Arabian Knights which has a book of over 1000 possible story snippets but it is a MUCH better actual game than Knights (Knights is literally a game I play rolling a die to decide what action to take and it seems to make no difference in the outcome, there is virtually no strategy in the game.)

So if you like Pandemic, Tales of thr Arabian Knights and Cthulu then Eldritch Horror is likely a solid pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Fandango
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I started my journey into boardgaming a couple of years ago with Forbidden desert and I remember seeing the adverts for Eldritch Horror and thought it looked amazing with the characters and all the cards etc. I took the plunge and bought it and for a newcomer to boardgaming I found it fantastic as a solo experience ( play with at least 2 investigators - probably start off with 2 to get the hang of it, I often lost where I was when I tried 4 at once!)

Although my first playthough took ages having to consult the rules all the time I soon realised that it is actually quite straightforward. Watching part of a playthrough helps if needed.

I would certainly suggest adding the Forsaken Lore expansion as this expands the encounter decks which are quite thin in the base game without changing any of the game mechanics.

Set up and take down becomes much quicker also after a couple of games.

Plenty of replayability though even with the base game, I would really recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tattersall
msg tools
It's the only way I play and I have got in dozens of plays;I have all the expansions but only battled AOs up to but excluding Under the Pyramids. Low win rate but that makes victories all the more satisfying. Tons of replayability, especially if you are a Lovecraft enthusiast. Storage/setup solution essential if you're going to replay regularly; homemade and simple in my case.I play with 3 investigators; 4 is supposed to be the sweet spot but it then becomes a bit of a table hog. Go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Germanicus
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're received a lot of great comments. I'll just add that I enjoy playing this game solo, and indeed, most of my plays have been solo, but I prefer to play it with friends as the shared story element is so much more fun that way. By contrast, I actually prefer to play Pandemic solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just adding a bit more wood to the fire. Eldritch Horror works very well solo. Two characters is a must, because it is easier to move around the board, and because it gives you more stories to create. The exlansion Forsaken lore, does add a lot of content, but if you cant find it, as it is in short supply at the moment, then any of the SMALL box expansions will more than make up for the base game weaknesses.

Welcome to the party, you are going to have a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Olier
msg tools
Yes it is good solo. Also there are a few play throughs on YouTube. One guy I like to watch is Catweazle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
The by-the-rule-book solo game is 2 characters. People of course use as many as they like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness 2.0 is coming out. While the app is mandatory, the app takes the role of the Keeper, so you can play solo. Wait for the reviews, and ask which games other think would be better for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:
The by-the-rule-book solo game is 2 characters. People of course use as many as they like.

Actually the by-the-book solo game is one investigator (page 14 of the rules reference) and you remove all the components with the Teamwork trait. It then says that you can also play the game solo with two characters "for a slightly more dynamic game".

Personally I recommend two characters since you are less prone to losing due to something horribly unlucky happening to one character and you can play with all the cards as usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started playing with 2 investigators then after a few games started using 4. I found with 4 if one of them was having a really bad time then the others could keep things ticking over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.