Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

....and they still have a very faint trace of that delightful aroma!

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Those were the days! I still have a coveted stack of original Flat Top player maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mutton javelin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiezombiezombiezombie

"I love the smell of mimio spirits in the morning.....I find it intoxicating"zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmb
Mmmm...ditto smell. Comes in second only to that sweet Carte Mundi smell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Dad had a hand-crank Gestetner that he used for student handouts. He printed me a stack of blank AD&D character sheets that lasted for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmm. I remember getting handouts in class and they were always slightly damp.

Did yours only come in purple ink? Why was the ink purple?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a cheap, spirit soluble purple ink (aniline purple) that bound easily into the wax sheets used to create master documents. Other colours existed - I remember black was expensive, blue was very pale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
There was a cheap, spirit soluble purple ink (aniline purple) that bound easily into the wax sheets used to create master documents. Other colours existed - I remember black was expensive, blue was very pale.

It's worrying I remember them. Love that smell.

So I learnt a mimeograph is a Gestetner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember working on the school newspaper and having to figure out how to draw on those by scratching the ink off. Had to work in reverse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It beat technology challenged* teachers who wrote test questions on a chalkboard and expected us to copy the questions by hand before answering.

* A more typical excuse was fear of printing too many of the precious copies. Flash forward to having to account for every page use of the Xerox (or competitor) machine. That lasted well into my working career.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee Whiz wrote:
Mmm. I remember getting handouts in class and they were always slightly damp.

Did yours only come in purple ink? Why was the ink purple?

Yes! Those slightly soggy pop quizzes with the smudged purple ink. Ahh, those were the days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently they are still used by by tatooists! The ink transfer can be used to print a stencil on skin. Then they go over it.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
Apparently they are still used by by tatooists! The ink transfer can be used to print a stencil on skin. Then they go over it.

cool

I think I need a littttle more caffeine this morning, 'cuz my mental image when I read that was of some poor sap with his arm in the machine while the tattoo artist is trying to turn the crank....

wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst thing about a mimeo machine was that if you made a typing error on the master it could not be corrected - you had to either know it was in error or start over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
I love the smell of mimeo in the morning.

A little closer to the present: I brought out "Modern Art", one of my first owned Euros, for the first time in a while and my mostly younger gaming group was amused/perplexed by the fact that the English rules were on fax paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were just explaining mimeographs to some youngsters the other day, then we played Dark Tower which further amazed them.

The jpg just isn't the same...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Are dittos the same as Mimeographs?

Which one had that awful smell?

Yes. No matter what you call it, that stench is rank!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.