T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » General

Subject: Any ideas for long distance play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Southworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
So a friend visited for the weekend and we managed 2 play throughs of Asylum as a 4 player game but didn't manage to complete it. We're not likely to see him in person again until next year and we don't really want to leave it that long as we'll have forgotten the story and clues we unveiled. Truth be told, we've already forgotten some of the clues.

Just wondering if anybody has come across this problem and how/if they managed to carry on playing. I suspect we'll end up just playing it 3 player without him and just letting him know how it ended, not much fun for him but i can't think of anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zaphoduk wrote:
So a friend visited for the weekend and we managed 2 play throughs of Asylum as a 4 player game but didn't manage to complete it. We're not likely to see him in person again until next year and we don't really want to leave it that long as we'll have forgotten the story and clues we unveiled. Truth be told, we've already forgotten some of the clues.

Just wondering if anybody has come across this problem and how/if they managed to carry on playing. I suspect we'll end up just playing it 3 player without him and just letting him know how it ended, not much fun for him but i can't think of anything else.

Tabletop Simulator.

Otherwise if he has his own copy you could skype or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Not sure he would need his own copy if you skype...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could play it out without him and then when he's back in town play it again. You'll have forgotten everything by then anyway. And if you did remember something key, let him puzzle it out for himself.

I've played Asylum 3x with 3 different groups and have had fun each time. I just kept my mouth shut when I knew the clear/correct choice.

I didn't sit there saying nothing though, I was very engaged just didn't steer the group with a heavy hand.

It was fun to play it again because there were a lot of cards I never got to see, so I was able to see more of the flavor text, etc, that I didn't see the other times.

And lastly, I even messed with the last group when something would happen, I would be like "wait, what? that didn't happen in our last group - this must be different" lol both times they fell for it, so they felt better about me having played before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Southworth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
We played it last night and we pulled together a Tabletop Simulator which he played while we talked over Skype.

It was a bit fiddly with placing cards and searching for specific items (partly because no matter how may times we loaded it, different textures wouldn't load up on my end and/or his). Also we had a couple of crashes and out and out memory leaks where it just ground to a halt.

All in all we managed to complete our third run through of the game in about 3 hours. So whilst it did take a lot longer than it would had he been in the room with us he did still appreciate the opportunity to finish the game with us.

I'm not sure we'll bother doing the Marcy Case this way as i feel having to maintain the Simulator as well as the board kinda took away from the enjoyment for me a little. Plus the downtime and crashes were a bit wearing on the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.