Saloon Tycoon» Forums » General

Subject: Questions / Reviews for CoMKL players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
More Woo-Hoo Gamer reviews coming throughout 2017!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there's another thread that asks questions about Saloon Tycoon vs Castles of Mad King Ludwig, but I wanted to begin another one with the following questions:

If you've played both, what are the primary similarities / differences? (If you've played CoMKL and are receiving Saloon Tycoon soon, feel free to get in a few games of it and then post your thoughts.)

Is there good reason to own both? (I have CoMKL on my Wishlist, but I've never actually played it. But from watching videos and reading reviews, it looks like a game my family would really enjoy. As such, I wonder if it's still worth owning and adding into my collection or if Saloon Tycoon would scratch the same itch just as well?)

How does each game scale between 2-4 players? Is one better at 2 players and/or 4 players than the other?

Thanks for your insights, all! Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hunsucker
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't really seem terribly similar to me.

They both involve building tiles, sure, but in Ludwig, placing the tiles is a very creative act, trying to figure out the best configuration. That decision in Saloon Tycoon is much simpler, either build on the ground floor further out, or build up on an existing tile.

And in Ludwig, the buying mechanic is really strategic, with having to pay the person in charge of the buildings that turn. In Saloon Tycoon, you're just selecting from an array of tiles when you have the money/prerequisites.

The strategy in Saloon Tycoon is more about chaining actions together through card play and finishing tiles.

I'd say that the similarities are only on the surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mica
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I own both, I've only played one game of Saloon Tycoon since receiving my kickstarter copy. I enjoyed Saloon Tycoon, but CoMKL is a longer and deeper game.

CoMKL there is a variety of rooms that you can buy that have various benefits. Is maidrey buying purple tiles because it's her bonus card or is it because she's trying to get the points? You have to strategize both pricing and building out your castle.

Saloon Tycoon, on the other hand, mostly is you just basically saying "Uh, I guess I'll buy the brothel hehehe." Sure, some rooms get you certain characters or allow you to add other rooms later, but it's a much, much lighter game compared to how much time you can spend analyzing which room you want in CoMKL and where to put it. Likely you'll typically only have a choice of about two or three places to put a room in Saloon and placement generally doesn't matter.

There's a decent amount of "take that" in Saloon Tycoon, which is fine, but I love the CoMKL approach: I know that maidrey wants purple rooms so should I make the purple room as expensive as possible but still within the ability for maidrey to buy? Do I think maidrey is running away with the game so I should make the purple room more expensive than she can buy? I think CoMKL is really elegant in how your income comes from what you can convince the other players to buy.

Also, the game was really, really short. It's really hard to fill your Saloon up as much as I thought you would be able to. We played with three and setting out everything and reading the rules took almost as long as the game. Honestly, I'd probably consider Saloon Tycoon more filler than an actual game. I'll play again and I think that there will be plenty of replay value in the claim/open claim cards. I'd rather play Saloon Tycoon than Splendor, but I was hoping for a deeper game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
More Woo-Hoo Gamer reviews coming throughout 2017!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! That's very helpful info (from both comments thus far), and based on your feedback I'll keep CoMKL very high up on my wishlist!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.