$35.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

PanzerBlitz» Forums » Rules

Subject: PB rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vaughan McDonald
Australia
Boyanup
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,
I've recently reacquired PB And PL after stupidly giving them away 25 years ago, and after reading several posts and downloading the Rules variant updating PB with PL I'm now a little confused. Firstly, Should I be using the original rules?
Secondly, are the "original"scenarios listed on the imaginative strategist site the updated ones as I have the 1970 orange slipcase edition. (You can really smell The 46 years wafting out of the box!)
Cheers,
Vaughan
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lloyd
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say no your first question. The game is capable of somewhat better simulation than was in the original version. Tactical GameX probably the highest, practical version.

Second question is yes, and some interesting new counters too. Greg's PanzerBlitz Site is another place you should visit.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Clinton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I would say Yes.

I have not played this one in quite some time, but I think the game stands fine on its own, period. It is a nice, simple, easy game and the rules work fine.

If you want more, different, extras, etc... They why are you playing Panzer Blitz to begin with?

If you want a little, tiny bit more... Try Panzer Leader. Still more... Try The Arab Israeli Wars... More Still...then go for OCS or one of the newwave "old school" games (NOTE: I do not consider them "old school", but others seem to think so).

My two cents,
Scott

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stearns
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tassie Devil wrote:
Hi everyone,
I've recently reacquired PB And PL after stupidly giving them away 25 years ago, and after reading several posts and downloading the Rules variant updating PB with PL I'm now a little confused. Firstly, Should I be using the original rules?
Secondly, are the "original"scenarios listed on the imaginative strategist site the updated ones as I have the 1970 orange slipcase edition. (You can really smell The 46 years wafting out of the box!)
Cheers,
Vaughan


No you do not need to play by the original rules IF you do not wish to... Other options are available either via the BGG files section or the Tactical Game X website < http://www.relativerange.com/#!tactical-gamex/v3pyd >

The Original scenarios on the IMStrat site are not the same as the ones in the PB/PL box. Yes PB is a 46 year old classic either the IMSTRAT site or Greg's Panzer Blitz should provide you with other scenario options, counters, maps, etc... The counters and maps can be printed if you lack a printer at Kinko's/FedEx for a fee. Be sure to check out the Panzer Class articles (IMStrat) by Alan R. Arvold one of the leading experts on the game.

http://www.imaginative-strategist.layfigures.com/index.html -or- http://gregpanzerblitz.com

You may also want to get PDF's of the long out of print AH General magazine which is available free here < http://www.vftt.co.uk/ah_mags.asp?ProdID=PDF_Gen >

I hope you find many hours of enjoyable gaming!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan McDonald
Australia
Boyanup
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Unfortunately, I blame hormones! I'm 47 and have been going through a nostalgic phase for a the last 4 years. I've reacquired wargames, comics and books I had as a kid - PB and PL being part of it. My 13 year old son and I have been playing ASLSK and I want to introduce him to PB.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan McDonald
Australia
Boyanup
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks, Jim.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Armored Combat: It's all about position and getting the first shot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Vaughan, I saw your post and thought I would offer additional suggestion/agreement with most of the responses on here: No, you don't need the original rules. As a matter of fact you will be using a game system that is very "gamey" and so tactically invalid as to make the entire game questionable as a simulation.
Okay, that was a slam. Now for the silver lining: there are a number of new rules sets out there from the Imaginitive Strategist web site: http://www.imaginative-strategist.layfigures.com/PDFs/Panzer...; Case Orange rules from UptheBlue: http://www.uptheblue.com/pbdownloads/Case%20Orange%20Variant...; PanzerWarrior rules by Fred Schwarz: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/129424/panzer-warrior; and my favorite: Tactical GameX by Mike Nagel: http://www.relativerange.com/#!tactical-gamex/v3pyd. If that doesn't help you, then I don't know what else to tell you. They all vary to some extent and greatly "fix" many of the rules loopholes and outright failures of the original PanzerBlitz, from incorporating opportunity fire (realistic) to better simulation of all types of indirect fire.

Tassie Devil wrote:
Hi everyone,
I've recently reacquired PB And PL after stupidly giving them away 25 years ago, and after reading several posts and downloading the Rules variant updating PB with PL I'm now a little confused. Firstly, Should I be using the original rules?
Secondly, are the "original"scenarios listed on the imaginative strategist site the updated ones as I have the 1970 orange slipcase edition. (You can really smell The 46 years wafting out of the box!)
Cheers,
Vaughan
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stearns
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vaughan, Robert has also worked on some really nice PB counters that you might want to get printed. If I remember correctly the counters are available via BGG. https://boardgamegeek.com/images/user/988147/page/7?username...

voyager2lcats wrote:
Hey Vaughan, I saw your post and thought I would offer additional suggestion/agreement with most of the responses on here: No, you don't need the original rules. As a matter of fact you will be using a game system that is very "gamey" and so tactically invalid as to make the entire game questionable as a simulation.
Okay, that was a slam. Now for the silver lining: there are a number of new rules sets out there from the Imaginitive Strategist web site: http://www.imaginative-strategist.layfigures.com/PDFs/Panzer...; Case Orange rules from UptheBlue: http://www.uptheblue.com/pbdownloads/Case%20Orange%20Variant...; PanzerWarrior rules by Fred Schwarz: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/129424/panzer-warrior; and my favorite: Tactical GameX by Mike Nagel: http://www.relativerange.com/#!tactical-gamex/v3pyd. If that doesn't help you, then I don't know what else to tell you. They all vary to some extent and greatly "fix" many of the rules loopholes and outright failures of the original PanzerBlitz, from incorporating opportunity fire (realistic) to better simulation of all types of indirect fire.

Tassie Devil wrote:
Hi everyone,
I've recently reacquired PB And PL after stupidly giving them away 25 years ago, and after reading several posts and downloading the Rules variant updating PB with PL I'm now a little confused. Firstly, Should I be using the original rules?
Secondly, are the "original"scenarios listed on the imaginative strategist site the updated ones as I have the 1970 orange slipcase edition. (You can really smell The 46 years wafting out of the box!)
Cheers,
Vaughan
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Armored Combat: It's all about position and getting the first shot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim thank you very much! I love this game, and to think I would be saying that 42 years after I received a copy in the mail as a kid. I am working a VASSAL module so most of the images in my image gallery are for that. But I will get to making some more countersheets as soon as I can, in addition to counters for Tactical GameX. Here is a direct link to my PanzerBlitz German tanks countersheet. Then it's relatively easy to browse the Russians: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2578548/voyager2lcats?size=l...

Bob

Stearjas wrote:
Vaughan, Robert has also worked on some really nice PB counters that you might want to get printed. If I remember correctly the counters are available via BGG. https://boardgamegeek.com/images/user/988147/page/7?username...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan McDonald
Australia
Boyanup
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Thankyou, Robert and Jim, for the great responses. I've checked out the Tacticalgame X website and downloaded the rules. They look great after reading halfway through. Robert, your counter artwork looks amazing. I'm a special Ed teacher and work is currently real busy plus we're in the process of selling our house, so I'm looking forward to getting some clear air to sit down and just 'play.'
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Armored Combat: It's all about position and getting the first shot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vaughan, I tip my hat to you. My son has autism and is entering 9th grade next week(!). Yes I am nervous.gulp Play time is always the best for all involved. I am going to try and work on the Russian tanks and get them up by next week, as well as a revised Italians (CSIR forces on East Front!) countersheet. Mike Nagel had asked me when I was going to do some other countries, so I am trying to fit something in between designing a VASSAL PB/PL (it won't be backward compatible).

Bob

Tassie Devil wrote:
Thankyou, Robert and Jim, for the great responses. I've checked out the Tacticalgame X website and downloaded the rules. They look great after reading halfway through. Robert, your counter artwork looks amazing. I'm a special Ed teacher and work is currently real busy plus we're in the process of selling our house, so I'm looking forward to getting some clear air to sit down and just 'play.'
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan McDonald
Australia
Boyanup
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for those kind words, Bob. Moving day is in 4 days. Just finished a school camp with my class. Three of them have Autism and are 14 years old and did really well. Wargaming is a great outlet at the end of the day. Can't wait to get the games room set up.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McConnell
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Armored Combat: It's all about position and getting the first shot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vaughan, you are most welcome. I tried to work on the Russian Tanks this weekend, but I have a cold and other activities got in the way as well. I will earnestly attempt to post them by next Monday.whistle

Bob

Tassie Devil wrote:
Thanks for those kind words, Bob. Moving day is in 4 days. Just finished a school camp with my class. Three of them have Autism and are 14 years old and did really well. Wargaming is a great outlet at the end of the day. Can't wait to get the games room set up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.