Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have the speed ability can I bring two mechs together to transfer resources/workers then turn the receiving mech around and return to where it came from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to complete each unit's movement one at a time, but with speed you can still pick up and drop off resources/workers mid-movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have Speed, then each mech and your character can move 2 spaces.

Based on your question, you can move one mech with the resources/workers that you want to transfer into a space and then bring your second mech into that space to take the resources/workers. If the 2nd mech started on an adjacent space, then after moving into its first space to pick up resources/workers, then it can move back to its original adjacent space, or any adjacent space it could legally move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I think I got it. I can move mech A in, drop off workers, move it out. Then move mech B in pickup and move out. But I wouldn't be able to do that on a lake because I can't leave workers alone there. So I could still do this transfer on a lake, I would just need to leave mech A there because I can't come back to use it's full movement after I've moved another unit. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea what this is about, BUT...

Most BGG-ers can split hairs, so I say: Have a go at it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
OK, I think I got it. I can move mech A in, drop off workers, move it out. Then move mech B in pickup and move out. But I wouldn't be able to do that on a lake because I can't leave workers alone there. So I could still do this transfer on a lake, I would just need to leave mech A there because I can't come back to use it's full movement after I've moved another unit. Thanks!

Sounds correct!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:

Correct, although with mechs' movement at only 2 spaces with speed, there's no reason that mech A couldn't just continue movement directly to mech B's location or destination, before B moves. (Both will only have 1 movement point after entering the common hex)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mech A has better places to be.

Work, work, work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
Mech A has better places to be.

Work, work, work.

I think Ian's point is that there's no situation in which the transfer of workers (mid-move for both mechs) would achieve something that could not be achieved another way. I believe Ian is right. Rather than transferring the workers, you could simply switch the final destinations of the two mechs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My purpose in asking this question was to understand future options in spending movement points, not to work out a solution to a specific problem. The reason I used the hypothetical example I did was because I thought it would be the least confusing so we could focus on the real issue of coming back to a unit to finish their move (Thanks Jamey for answering that). As I've already worked out above, if the transfer happens on a lake then I would not be able to move both mechs to their ideal destinations, one would have to end the turn on the lake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
As I've already worked out above, if the transfer happens on a lake then I would not be able to move both mechs to their ideal destinations, one would have to end the turn on the lake.

Maybe I'm beating a dead horse here, but my initial reaction (which was also stated by subsequent posters) was that there is no need to leave a mech in the lake. In fact, the lake never really enters into it.

If you have two mechs, each moving 2 hexes, where the middle hex of both paths is the same, you would never need to transfer workers from one mech to the other at that midpoint. If you want a worker in one of the starting hexes to end up in one of the ending hexes, just have the mech that picks him up take him to his destination, and then move the other mech to the other destination. What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:
What am I missing?
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
My purpose in asking this question was to understand future options in spending movement points, not to work out a solution to a specific problem.

Because if a new player asks if a particular set of actions is legal I want to be able to say "yes" or "no" without having to tell them the "better" way to accomplish the same outcome. Maybe they are role-playing it, maybe I want to let them feel good about figuring out a challenge on their own, maybe I don't want to come off as an alpha gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
My purpose in asking this question was to understand future options in spending movement points, not to work out a solution to a specific problem. The reason I used the hypothetical example I did was because I thought it would be the least confusing so we could focus on the real issue of coming back to a unit to finish their move (Thanks Jamey for answering that). As I've already worked out above, if the transfer happens on a lake then I would not be able to move both mechs to their ideal destinations, one would have to end the turn on the lake.

If mech B was already on a lake, then you could move in mech A carrying workers, drop them off, move mech A back, then use Mech B to continue movement out of the lake carrying the workers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:
[q="Born-of-Ashes"] there is no need to leave a mech in the lake.

Because only a few factions can enter lakes, they can provide protection against people who are trying to attack you. Also, at end of game, lakes count as territories for territorial control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
jameystegmaier wrote:
dmoser22 wrote:

Because only a few factions can enter lakes, they can provide protection against people who are trying to attack you. Also, at end of game, lakes count as territories for territorial control.

I think "need" was being used only in the context of transporting workers, assuming you otherwise don't want to leave it behind, not as a general strategy consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
dmoser22 wrote:

Absolutely agree. I wasn't suggesting that there aren't good reasons for it. I was merely stating that it wasn't necessary, because the OP still seemed to think that it was.

Born-of-Ashes wrote:
dmoser22 wrote:
What am I missing?
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
My purpose in asking this question was to understand future options in spending movement points, not to work out a solution to a specific problem.

Because if a new player asks if a particular set of actions is legal I want to be able to say "yes" or "no" without having to tell them the "better" way to accomplish the same outcome. Maybe they are role-playing it, maybe I want to let them feel good about figuring out a challenge on their own, maybe I don't want to come off as an alpha gamer.

OK, perhaps I was mistaken, but the way you phrased it, I got the impression that you still thought that you could not accomplish what you were describing without leaving a mech in the lake, which is not true. I you didn't in fact think that, then I apolgize if I was condescending. I was simply trying to correct a perceived misunderstanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.