Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Chew
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player A has no ships, no merchants, no cash in his nation, and a small amount of cash in his king's treasury. Player B has a long-term strategy that would fail if Player A's bankruptcy ended the game prematurely, and offers to sell Player A a ship for one drachma. Player C objects, citing 1.3.5.1 "Money raised in this manner cannot be used to buy ships from another nation, only the bank." Player B replies that "raised" refers only to selling merchants, not raiding the king's treasury. Player C thinks it covers both selling merchants and raiding the king's treasury. Who's right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hahn
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on my reading of the rules, player C is correct. "Raised in this manner" refers to the entire process of raising enough capital to buy a ship.

If the nation player A was king of had just 1 drachma, the whole question could have been avoided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g colhoun
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd agree with Robert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Chew
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'll take it back to my gaming group. As Player C, I agree with you both, but it was my first time playing the game, and Players A and B were much more familiar with the rules. Also, it doesn't help that the German rules don't include the quoted restriction at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hahn
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck! I know the rules aren't the best organized and can see where they're coming from.

Hopefully you all can come to an agreement such that you'll all want to continue playing this fantastic game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.