The Awful Green Things From Outer Space» Forums » General

Subject: Homemade clay pieces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started making playing pieces out of polymer clay. So far, I've done the adult and baby Green Things:

In my head, the adults were going to have a couple of feet each, but at some point they've got turned into a pair of tentacles, which I'm happy with. I'm going for a fun and simple look, in the spirit of the illustrations to the game even though the details differ.

The idea is that the pieces are small enough to fit on top of the chits (I have the 8th edition), or on a whole stack of chits to represent several monsters if an area gets crowded.

Next, the crew, which will be more interesting. (I don't think I'll bother with the eggs and fragments.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sacco
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Sauron was not of mortal flesh, he could never again appear fair to the eyes of Men, yet his spirit arose & returned to Mordor. There he dwelt, dark & silent, until he wrought a new guise, an image of malice & hatred made visible; the Eye of Sauron.
badge
One moment only it stared out as from some great window immeasurably high there stabbed a flame of red, the flicker of a piercing Eye. The Eye was not turned on them, it gazed north but Frodo at that dreadful glimpse fell as one stricken mortally.
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Ha Ha Ha: They're Great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
I´ve made them the same size than the original counters, it was a hard work doing these tiny little buggers.

Good luck with your work ! googoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank, yours are awesome!

Here's my crew. You'll notice I've somewhat simplified the Snudalian/Smbalite/Frathm/Redundan anatomy, mainly because this is my first time using clay since childhood and I'm not great at legs, arms, noses, mouths, heads, or bodies. Most of the crew have an accessory of some sort - sometimes taken from the cartoon on their chit, sometimes not - except the one member of each species who gets to go bare.

The whole crew

Captain, first officer, and operations officer. The Captain gets a tricorn hat, and the two senior officers get bicorns.

Two pilots, with pilots' hats as per their chits

Cook, with a chef's hat, and coxswain, who as the last yellow Snudalian gets to be differentiated by carrying nothing

The two marines, with berets, and their sergeant, whose beret gets a red crest

Sparks, yeoman, and supply officer (or the undifferentiated species shapes)

Engineering officer with spanner and screwdriver, engineer with spanner, and machinist with hammer

Doc with medikit and medic with nurse's hat

Comm officer with headphones and tech with spanner

Robot and mascot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
They´re great, I hope you enjoy playing with them !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the fragments and eggs after all:

The eggs are made of a mix of green and white clay to give them a marbled look. (I know the ones in the cartoons are plain green, but I wanted them to be easy to tell apart from the fragments!)

My idea at first was to stand the pieces on top of counters, and in the case of the Green Things, possibly stacks of counters to avoid the problem of crowding. However it turns out that these pieces "stack" quite well, or at least form a nice amorphous multi-eyed swarm:

It's occurred to be that both fragments and eggs can be stunned. The crew, and adult and baby Things, can be put on their side to show when they're stunned. Eggs and fragments will have to be put on top of a "stunned" chit, unless I think of another solution. I'm also going to write each crew member's stats on the bottom of its miniature with a sharpie for easy checking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here they are in an actual game (albeit a solo one using Omega's random Green Things player rules - I'll take it to the office and challenge a colleague tomorrow.)

As you can see, board crowding is still a bit of a thing, but it all adds to the cuteness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you check out my map? It can be printed at any size...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will do, Mattias!

Finally (I think...), I added the Obnoxious Orange Things from the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaaaand there's more: the eight "Megadults" from the "Revenge of the Awful Green Things" optional rules ( http://www.sjgames.com/awfulgreen/awful-revenge.html ).

The lighting isn't great on this picture (they're just out the oven and I can't touch them yet!) but clockwise from left: the Slimer in its puddle of slime, the Runner with running shoes, the Scales, the Brainiac with a mortar board (after a futile half hour trying to make a pair of glasses that fit a half-inch-wide, one-eyed Thing), the Webber with a bit of web, Tentacles, the Breeder with a couple of eggs in its arm, and the Flamer with carro- er, flames growing out of its top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally finally, some detail on the Megadults:

Scales and Tentacles

Webber and Runner

Breeder and Slimer

Flamer and Brainiac

and the whole game in its compartment-boxy goodness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a board made! I found the original Dragon Magazine image and the man in the print shop was really helpful - it's on thin card, in two pieces, blown up to A2 size (two A3 sheets), about twice the size of the original double magazine page.

I also made a new weapons display using Tom Wham's original art, and a display of the stats of the crew, Green Things and Orange Things (as the miniatures don't have stats where you can easily see them.)

(Slightly interestingly, I noticed a rule difference between the original Dragon Magazine pullout and the SJ Eighth Edition - the fire engines and electric fences may be placed anywhere on the board in the Dragon version.)

I'll be playing this at EMFCamp in Guildford this weekend (there's a D&D/boardgames event on Saturday evening), on the offchance anyone's going to be around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also created this beautiful custom box to carry it in.

(With apologies to Space Crusade; this was the box from the spare half-complete set I have lying around for some reason.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how much longer I can resist making my on Fimo pieces....

What size map do you think would be the best size to handle all the goodies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with 100x70 cm map as described here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1194422/agtfos-model-projec...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattias wrote:
I went with 100x70 cm map

That's a manageable size.

And looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cat_O wrote:
What size map do you think would be the best size to handle all the goodies?

I went with A2, which is 42.0 cm x 59.4 cm (16.5" x 23.4") (slightly smaller once the borders were trimmed off.) Crowding isn't a problem, although my Green Things sort of stack in heaps so your mileage may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I redrew the original map using vector graphics so it can be scaled to any size without affecting resolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I've made the weapons too:

I'm gonna need a bigger board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Johnson
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made counters for the pressure suits, jet suits and cargo movers:

The crew members are fixed to 22mm counters and the suits are on 30mm ones, so there's space around the edge to see the stats.

The cargo movers and jet suits have coloured borders, which have smudged a bit, annoyingly. I'll have a more careful go when I can be bothered.

(The SJ Games edition doesn't include counters for the pressure suits, and says they aren't needed as all they do is let you walk in space, and you automatically put them on when going through an airlock anyway. But that's not all; there are various situations in which you need to remember who's wearing a pressure suit, such as opening a hatch on a boat in space.)

I got an A1 (23.4" x 33.1") Znutar map printed, based on the original Dragon magazine version with three sensors. I blew it up, blurred it to undo some of the pixellation, tweaked the colouring, and redid the text and weapon placement icons based on the SJG version:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.