$20.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Fury of Dracula (third edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does the board wrap? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry Veit
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
This may be a dumb question, but does the map wrap? My friends and I were playing the other night and we cornered Dracula in Lisbon. He jumped into the South Atlantic and moved to the Black Sea. Is this illegal?

Neither book says one way or the other and there are arguments for both sides.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a legal move at all, the board doesn't wrap - Rules Ref page 11 states sea movement is from a port to an adjacent sea zone, from a sea zone to an adjacent sea zone, or from a sea zone to an adjacent port.

Page 3 of RRG defines Adjacency, including 'if a sea zone shares a border with another sea zone, those sea zones are adjacent'.

What's the argument for saying you can move from the South Atlantic to the Black Sea? I wouldn't have entertained that sort of nonsense to be honest.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua F

New Hampshire
msg tools
mbmbmb
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Veit
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
For one thing, it was our very first time playing so we were still getting a feel for it. The argument was that if the board does wrap, then they would be adjacent. We figured that so many games with maps do wrap, this one would too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Martial Solal - Bluesine || Balade du 10 Mars || Just Friends || In & Out
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Akahaji wrote:
For one thing, it was our very first time playing so we were still getting a feel for it. The argument was that if the board does wrap, then they would be adjacent. We figured that so many games with maps do wrap, this one would too.

How many where the map represents Europe? There are certainly abstract and sci-fi maps which wrap, but with the sole exception of a game covering the entire globe it won't make sense to wrap on a map showing locations on earth.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Veit
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Sphere wrote:
Akahaji wrote:
For one thing, it was our very first time playing so we were still getting a feel for it. The argument was that if the board does wrap, then they would be adjacent. We figured that so many games with maps do wrap, this one would too.

How many where the map represents Europe? There are certainly abstract and sci-fi maps which wrap, but with the sole exception of a game covering the entire globe it won't make sense to wrap on a map showing locations on earth.


It did not occur to us, then, how small of an area we were dealing with. You are right.

It also occurs to me, now, that, in reality, The Black Sea is landlocked.

The whole thing seems ludicrous now. At the time, we were so busy trying to nail down the important things, little things like logical geography fell by the wayside.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Honestly, now I'm intrigued by the idea of a rules variant where the map does wrap (like an old arcade game).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Nagy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geography lessons clearly need to be improved in today's schools.
14 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErsatzDragon wrote:
Honestly, now I'm intrigued by the idea of a rules variant where the map does wrap (like an old arcade game).

The last thing the game needs is for Dracula's ships to have a warp drive so they can ride a wormhole to the other end of the continent! shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JAn
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
Just so OP is not alone. In last night's game someone who was playing Dracula for the first time (but has played the game before as a hunter) asked (once the game was over) if the board wrapped. Clearly they were looking at the board as a representation of abstract gaming space rather than a mostly realistic and bound representation of fin de siècle Europe.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nagypapi wrote:
Geography lessons clearly need to be improved in today's schools.


This begged to be quoted. It's obviously a map of Europe and common sense does not need to be in the rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
It's obviously a map of Europe and common sense does not need to be in the rules.
Ime, common sense is a rare commodity. It would be useless to ask for applying it in the rules - unless there was a possiblity to magically inject it in players who are lacking it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:
It's obviously a map of Europe and common sense does not need to be in the rules.
Ime, common sense is a rare commodity. It would be useless to ask for applying it in the rules - unless there was a possiblity to magically inject it in players who are lacking it.

OK, look, I agree that common sense is not common, but the rules can't explain every little thing that anyone with half a brain should be able to figure out.

Telling you that the MAP OF EUROPE does not wrap around from one side to the other is akin to telling you to place the board with the map side face up.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
Telling you that the MAP OF EUROPE does not wrap around from one side to the other is akin to telling you to place the board with the map side face up.


Oh, so THAT'S what I was doing wrong. No wonder it was so hard to figure out where our pieces were!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
Telling you that the MAP OF EUROPE does not wrap around from one side to the other is akin to telling you to place the board with the map side face up.
But, but, I thought this was supposed to be a game about hidden movement!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we've beaten this one to death, but I want to bring up a related issue that I know has been discussed before, but I can't find.

We've always assumed the North Sea connects to the North Atlantic, because it's pretty clear on the board. But when I looked at the location card for the North Atlantic, it doesn't show it wrapping around Ireland.

I'm 90% sure it has been publicly ruled that it connects, and it makes sense, but I'm just bringing it up again because the card made me pause. I didn't end up going that way anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.