Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Help me with how much money I will get when I place this office tile? ( PS I forgot to take a pic of the whole borough. You can see a corner of another lake tile that is adjacent to Community Park and Suburb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
Help me with how much money I will get when I place this office tile? ( PS I forgot to take a pic of the whole borough. You can see a corner of another lake tile that is adjacent to Community Park and Suburb.

You'd get $6.

$2 for the lake, and then $2 each for the two Waterfront Realty tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yup, what he said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus 3 income
1 for the tile static effect
2 for both office buildings conditional effect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
Plus 3 income
1 for the tile static effect
2 for both office buildings conditional effect
I understand this part but getting only $6 I just don't get. Should you not get at least $8 from the lake because it has 4 blue tiles adjacent which is the conditional effect of the lake?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have already gotten the money for the other tiles. You only gain new money for the tile you're currently placing: $2 for being next to the lake + $2 for each waterfront realty for a total of $6.

If the 3 existing blue tiles (2x waterfront realty + 1x office building) were there before the lake was placed, it would have gained you $18 when you placed the lake itself: 3x $2 for the lake + 3x $2 for each waterfront realty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
You should have already gotten the money for the other tiles. You only gain new money for the tile you're currently placing: $2 for being next to the lake + $2 for each waterfront realty for a total of $6.

If the 3 existing blue tiles (2x waterfront realty + 1x office building) were there before the lake was placed, it would have gained you $18 when you placed the lake itself: 3x $2 for the lake + 3x $2 for each waterfront realty.
Thanks., but now I question my understanding of the conditional effect of an adjacent tile. I think that I have been playing the whole game wrong. I am confused ( that's not unusual )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conditional effects based on adjacency trigger whenever something first becomes adjacent to it. This happens either when the tile is first placed (and now has neighbors) or when a new tile is placed adjacent to it. In either case, the bonuses only trigger for the newly adjacent tile(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
Conditional effects based on adjacency trigger whenever something first becomes adjacent to it. This happens either when the tile is first placed (and now has neighbors) or when a new tile is placed adjacent to it. In either case, the bonuses only trigger for the newly adjacent tile(s).
Oh my God have I been playing so wrong. So the conditional effect of an already placed tile only effects the newly placed tile and nothing else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
runtsta wrote:
Oh my God have I been playing so wrong. So the conditional effect of an already placed tile only effects the newly placed tile and nothing else?
Yup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
you must have been getting some huge scores!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mb
runtsta wrote:
keso55 wrote:
runtsta wrote:
Yup.

Wait a minute - now *I'M* getting confused. I realize that he would have gotten the money already for the first placed office tile, but don't you get new money from the previous tiles already placed If you are playing the Waterfront Realty Card? I would have gotten $2 for placing a tile next to a lake, but if I already have lakefront property, don't I get another $2 from them when I play Waterfront Realty?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
runtsta wrote:
keso55 wrote:
runtsta wrote:
Yup.

Wait a minute - now *I'M* getting confused. I realize that he would have gotten the money already for the first placed office tile, but don't you get new money from the previous tiles already placed If you are playing the Waterfront Realty Card? I would have gotten $2 for placing a tile next to a lake, but if I already have lakefront property, don't I get another $2 from them when I play Waterfront Realty?

Exactly, my understanding was that you can calculate the final score based on the final layout of the suburb without regard to order in which the tiles were placed. We only tally points as we're going because saving everything for the end would be a nightmare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Yates
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
runtsta wrote:
keso55 wrote:
runtsta wrote:
Yup.

You are correct about the amount you receive, but it is also correct that existing tiles' conditional effects are counted only for the newly added tile. The extra money you are talking about is the result of the new tile's conditional effect.

In the original picture, when the lower Waterfront Realty was placed (assuming it was the second Waterfront Realty placed) you would have received cash benefits from 2 existing tiles' effects:

1. The lake pays $2 for each adjacent tile. Since you added a tile adjacent to the lake, you receive $2.
2. The first Waterfront Realty pays $2 for any tile adjacent to a lake, so since you placed a tile adjacent to a lake, you receive $2.

The total for these two tiles' conditional effects is $4.
(You would also receive an increase in reputation due to the Community Park's conditional effect for adjacent buildings)

You then collect the conditional effect of the newly place tile. The conditional effect of a new tile gives benefits based on all existing tiles (including the new tile if appropriate). The new Waterfront realty also pays $2 for each tile adjacent to a lake. Since this was placed before the added Office Building in the original example, there are 3 tiles adjacent to the visible lake (counting the new Waterfront Realty) and at least 2 next to another lake, so you would collect at least $10 from the new tile's effect, but the existing tiles' effects only paid based on the new tile.

Calculating benefits in this way means the timing of the placement of the tiles is meaningless, the total benefit will be the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Yates
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clevider wrote:

Exactly, my understanding was that you can calculate the final score based on the final layout of the suburb without regard to order in which the tiles were placed. We only tally points as we're going because saving everything for the end would be a nightmare.

The order of tiles does not effect the benefits they give, but you can't really score everything at the end of the game.

The tiles we're talking about here are giving cash. Cash is needed throughout the game, so you need to calculate it as you go. You also collect cash and population each turn based on your current income and population. There is no way to calculate these totals at the end of the game because they are very dependent on timing. Having caps at both ends of the income and reputation tracks also makes difficulties in calculating the final values of these by looking at the tile layout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Much better explanation, Steve. Thank you.

I have a slightly different question now: given the number of times questions about this tile has come up, I wonder if Mr. Alspach ever regretted having put it in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Allen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't see there's a problem with this tile. The effects of waterfront realty takes effect at the time when u put it in and all the lake tiles entitle to get $2 for all exisiting tiles next to the lake.

Now all new tiles even including the waterfront realty that adds in next to the lake gets $4.

When the 2nd waterfront realty is placed in immediately all lake tiles collect another $2 for every adjecent tiles. All new tiles after the 2nd waterfront realty will gets you $6 when build adjecent to the lake. The 2nd waterfront realty will get you $6 also if place adjecent to the lake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mb
algoh wrote:
I don't see there's a problem with this tile. The effects of waterfront realty takes effect at the time when u put it in and all the lake tiles entitle to get $2 for all exisiting tiles next to the lake.

Now all new tiles even including the waterfront realty that adds in next to the lake gets $4.

When the 2nd waterfront realty is placed in immediately all lake tiles collect another $2 for every adjecent tiles. All new tiles after the 2nd waterfront realty will gets you $6 when build adjecent to the lake. The 2nd waterfront realty will get you $6 also if place adjecent to the lake.

This is MY understanding of the tile. Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clevider wrote:
Much better explanation, Steve. Thank you.

I have a slightly different question now: given the number of times questions about this tile has come up, I wonder if Mr. Alspach ever regretted having put it in the game.
I am starting to feel that way. I might just not use it anymore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hist wrote:
keso55 wrote:

You'd get $6.

$2 for the lake, and then $2 each for the two Waterfront Realty tiles.
New scenario -- Let us say that I put down that Office building tile and collected my $6. On the top left of my diagram you can see a little bit of a lake tile. let us assume that I just place that tile. How much would I get for placing that lake tile now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new lake is adjacent to two tiles, as far as I can tell. That gets you $4 for the lake ($2 per tile), $4 for one Waterfront Realty (extra $2 per tile) and $4 for the second Waterfront Realty (another extra $2 per tile).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
The new lake is adjacent to two tiles, as far as I can tell. That gets you $4 for the lake ($2 per tile), $4 for one Waterfront Realty (extra $2 per tile) and $4 for the second Waterfront Realty (another extra $2 per tile).
That would be $12. I think I get the tile now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mb
So what happens when you invest in a lake tile? Do you collect just an extra $2 for each adjacent? Or do you also get the realty bonus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zpeteman wrote:
So what happens when you invest in a lake tile? Do you collect just an extra $2 for each adjacent? Or do you also get the realty bonus?
Only the adjacent. You'd have to invest in the Realty tile(s) to gain that bonus again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Kristensen
Denmark
Herlev
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
zpeteman wrote:
Only the adjacent. You'd have to invest in the Realty tile(s) to gain that bonus again.

This answer does not make sense to me. But maybe it is the question that is also a little confused.

A new lake should pay out 2+2*number of WaterFrontRealty for each adjacent tile of the relevant type when placed.

Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.