United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So with Yanks right around the corner (egh hem, nod nod wink wink), does anyone have an ear to the ground regarding the next ASL morsel of goodness? What's up next? Or, in your not so humble opinion, what should be next? Let's call this the "Light a fire under MMP's ASL rump thread."
cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
badge
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
mbmbmbmbmb
There is the Korea-module "Forgotten War", but I think I have read that "Hollow Legions" is most likely the next reprint. AFAIK, it will contain the desert rules which originally came with "West of Alamein", and desert overlays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Tuttle
Other-South Pacific
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my understanding too. Possibly followed by a Croix de Guerre: ASL Module 10 update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also a bunch of HASL modules in the pipe - Ponri (spelling) is likely the next one (part of the Kursk battle). Although I would not expect to see that prior to late 2017/ 2018 ( and this is 100% my guess based on prior through put)

Additionally, there will likely be a scenario pack and winter offensive stuff coming later this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Petersen
Denmark
Svendborg
flag msg tools
badge
The bigger the problem, the bigger a hammer you'll need!
mbmbmbmbmb
Red October (along with Red Barricades? I can't remember if it's true or not.)
Dinant
Manila
Ortona
Hatten
Normandy
Ponyri
Rotterdam

Swedish Volunteers, overlay bundle, AP about Russian 52nd Infantry Division, J12.

For ASLSK; AP1 and PTO.

That's what I can remember, that I've read about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last word I heard was that Red October would include a reprint of Red Barricades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
82nd airborne HASL has got to be next (I've seen the rules printed up all nice and typeset and layouted and with pretty pictures and everything). Have you guys noticed how FAST Ken Dunn gets stuff done? Hey, that almost rhymes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Beef
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickgb wrote:
The last word I heard was that Rec October would include a reprint of Red Barricades.

Last I heard this was still debated - great news indeed - mahalos for the heads-up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides module reprints and HASLs, are there any new game concepts you'd like to see tried using the ASL system?

For example, something like this:

http://heatofbattlegames.com/kc.php

This isn't meant as a partisan attack or support for any publisher; I cite this as an example. Rather, I'm just trying the pivot the conversation toward new directions and ideas that you'd like to see tried in ASL.

As I have every core module and played enough HASLs to last a lifetime, I'd get excited by something completely different--from any publisher, but especially my favorite ASL producer, MMP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcology wrote:

I'd get excited by something completely different--from any publisher, but especially my favorite ASL producer, MMP.

It's very, very difficult to get playtesters for anything that isn't trivial or that doesn't stick to tried and true formulas.

There was a fellow on GameSquad a little while ago who claimed to have had a ASL campaign system similar to the old Close Combat - A Bridge Too Far Market Garden game ready. Sounds great? Manageable scenarios played on smallish maps all wound up into a large campaign setting. He posted some text-only AARs for individual scenarios generated by his system that looked promising. He couldn't get any volunteers to help him out.

I've recently developed a little card driven solo system for ASL that I think is quite fun to play with. I haven't really been able to get any help with testing it.

Unless you're a developer who already has a name/rep or a group of willing volunteers to try things out for you, you're pretty much stuck and will have to abandon your ideas or go it alone at a pace slower than a snail.

It's understandable but it's not a great environment for lots of innovation and experimentation unfortunately.

==================

To answer the original question - the concept of tying smaller scenarios into a campaign setting is probably the thing I would like to see most. An area movement strategic overlay over the ASL games.

Something sort of like this...

http://forums.gamesquad.com/entry.php?1094-101st-Airborne-SA...

http://forums.gamesquad.com/entry.php?1089-AAR-101st-Airborn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Tuttle
Other-South Pacific
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be interesting to see some of the Command & Control aspects of SASL applied to ASL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcology wrote:
Besides module reprints and HASLs, are there any new game concepts you'd like to see tried using the ASL system?

One of ASL's strength's is that it hasn't changed much in 30 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until you get bored with it, sure.

The system itself is fine. I never said otherwise. It's what designers do with that core platform that's interesting.

But if we just want more 8-turn tournament scenarios and HASLs in cities, that's fine. I've played a lot of those and a lot of ASL, believe me. I'll just play other MMP products that are equally great but new to me.

Or: INNOVATE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House of Cards
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Arcology wrote:
Until you get bored with it, sure.

The system itself is fine. I never said otherwise. It's what designers do with that core platform that's interesting.

But if we just want more 8-turn tournament scenarios and HASLs in cities, that's fine. I've played a lot of those and a lot of ASL, believe me. I'll just play other MMP products that are equally great but new to me.

Or: INNOVATE.

Lets not forget the game within the game of ASL. Who can be quicker with the index to settle the rule dispute which eventually is just settled with a die roll off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see the 'Squad Bleeder' stuff (Journal's #10 & #11) developed a bit more - the variable OOB bought from a force pool gives some genuine fog-of-war elements and they are great fun to play. An action pack or two in this format would be great with some scenario types beyond the existing meeting engagements.

A few scenario's that adopt the 'Combat Commander' VP chit approach - where you are not sure of the importance of some of the VP locations would also be good.

Introducing some optional rules for unit integrity - and some scenario's to use them in - would also be of interest. I.e. squads are part of platoons are part of companies and have to operate with associated restrictions - rather than haring around as independent commands all over the battlefield with promiscuous officers who are happy to lead whatever waif's and strays happen to be around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Julius Caesar, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
Introducing some optional rules for unit integrity - and some scenario's to use them in - would also be of interest. I.e. squads are part of platoons are part of companies and have to operate with associated restrictions - rather than haring around as independent commands all over the battlefield with promiscuous officers who are happy to lead whatever waif's and strays happen to be around.

That would help all of the popular tactical game systems these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not particularly a fan of ASL. However, if the next publication is a HASL -- I would especially like a reprint of the Peiper series -- I would seriously consider buying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still seriously want HASL Berlin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R K
Canada
Amherst
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is sooooo much ASL out there already, even those playing for 30 years likely haven't played close to all of the scenarios and historical modules available. MMP should (and generally does) concentrate on keeping core modules in print and releasing scenario packs, maps, and historical modules as resources and submissions allow.

A lot of the discussion here about what 'MMP should do' discounts the fact that most of the big modules that come out are initially designed by players and submitted to MMP for publication, not conceived and developed from the ground up in house. If you want to see more command and control in ASL, design it and submit the article as an optional variant for the next Journal, they're always looking for stuff to publish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
domus_ludorum wrote:

Except for Fields Of Fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Julius Caesar, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
DaveyJJ wrote:
domus_ludorum wrote:

Except for Fields Of Fire.

That's the one exception I had added, then removed when I posted. Brilliant stupid brilliant game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:

There are several already, just not official ones by AH or MMP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the pitchforks and torches out...but I'd like to see some updated counter & map art. Maps would be way too much work for the parties involved, but new counters might be doable.

Half the appeal of some of the newer squad level games out there--for me, at least--is the quality of the maps and counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
norev wrote:
Joelist wrote:

I mean a real one - not garbage from Critical Hit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:
norev wrote:
Joelist wrote:

I mean a real one - not garbage from Critical Hit...

Berlin: Red Vengeance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.