Subject: Event card discarding rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heather Hordyk
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Hello everyone.

I recently was introduced to Pandemic and am now hooked. An issue I've noticed we have come across while playing is this. If I need to discard a card in my deck because I am now over my limit of 7, and I choose to discard an event card do I perform the action of that event card or do we lose the action of the event card?

Here are the situations we have had it come up in:

1.) Trading cards to help be able to cure a disease leaves me with 8 cards. No other cards in my hand are better to discard than the event card I have. Does this card just get laid on the pile without performing the action? Or can I perform the action then discard the card (ie build a research station then discard)?

2.) I have 7 cards in my hand and need to draw 2 for my turn. The card I draw is an event card. If I choose to discard the event card do I get to perform the action of the card while discarding?

Side note to this, I am assuming that if someone is the contingency planner they can pick up the discarded event card from the pile to have as their extra card regardless of the fact that the event was performed or not. The contingency planner could then use the event card when they felt necessary but it would be removed from the game after they used it.

Thanks for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can play events and take their actions in order to reduce you hand to the hand limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hansen
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
halex842 wrote:
Hello everyone.

I recently was introduced to Pandemic and am now hooked. An issue I've noticed we have come across while playing is this. If I need to discard a card in my deck because I am now over my limit of 7, and I choose to discard an event card do I perform the action of that event card or do we lose the action of the event card?

Here are the situations we have had it come up in:

1.) Trading cards to help be able to cure a disease leaves me with 8 cards. No other cards in my hand are better to discard than the event card I have. Does this card just get laid on the pile without performing the action? Or can I perform the action then discard the card (ie build a research station then discard)?

2.) I have 7 cards in my hand and need to draw 2 for my turn. The card I draw is an event card. If I choose to discard the event card do I get to perform the action of the card while discarding?

Side note to this, I am assuming that if someone is the contingency planner they can pick up the discarded event card from the pile to have as their extra card regardless of the fact that the event was performed or not. The contingency planner could then use the event card when they felt necessary but it would be removed from the game after they used it.

Thanks for the help

You can play the event cards instead of discarding them with some exceptions. In the base game, any event cards can be played instead of discarding. When you use the OTB expansion, there are some event cards (listed below) which cannot be played if you receive them when you are drawing 2 cards from the Player Deck. This is because they allow extra actions (eg. Borrowed Time) or different actions (eg. Special Orders) and that part of your turn has ended.
Alternatively, even if you are able to play the event card, you can discard the event card without playing it to reduce your hand to 7 cards. Wasteful but possible and your fellow players will probably NOT appreciate you doing it, even if one of them is the CP.

The list of event cards with these restrictions:
Borrowed Time
Mobile Hospital
Rapid Vaccine Deployment (Additional Restriction: This event card can only be played immediately after a cure is discovered)
Special Orders

Answering your 2 scenarios:
1) Build the research station. Permissible and desirable.
2) Yes, you can play the event card as normal with due regard for the OTB expansion exception noted above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.