Subject: Progressing in Descent 2e RtL? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
Greetings,

Long ago I really enjoyed Descent 1e, but the length of the games and my preference for co-op rather than 1vs. Many games caused me to skip 2e. However the Road to Legend app now brings in full co-op so I am very interested and quite on the fence about picking up the base game and maybe an expansion.

Currently the game group favorite is Brimstone with its choose your own adventure sort of random elements. One thing that is nice is each kill grants experience towards new skills and each fight grants possible loot or gold for new goodies.

It has been forever since I played Descent. How does progression work in 2e with the application? In the YouTube videos I have watch it seems to just be a battle slog tile to tile with no exp, gold, and few story beats. Can anyone expand on this? Is the experience, skills, etc. all done at the end of quests or something? Is it a big chunk equally spread to the group?

Also, if I was to get the main box for co-op play, what would be your first two suggested expansions to add to the experience? Why those over others?

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
in 2nd edition you get 1 experience point (each player) at the end of a main quest, gold is (shared) found off of search tokens and gained at the end of a quest, and the story itself is always rather light (something I like).

If you got the core box, get Shadow of Nerekhall (SoN) or Labyrinth of Ruin (LoR). These are both big box expansions and have the best value.

Consider going through this forum, finding the same question you asked. It's asked quite regularly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob H
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for the information. What is a "main quest"? Does the starting Goblin campaign have just one "main" quest? That is can you only gain a single progression point for character growth then only 1 more if you play through the Kindred Fire one?

I read something about side quests unlocking if you have expansions. Do these then not contribute to progression as they are not a "main quest"?

I am trying to get a comparison with Brimstone as it rewards (or punishes) individual players with each kill, death, card draw to make progression feel central. Is RtL mostly a crawl based off of the three starting level up points?

Sorry about the search thing. I read around and most of the leveling up topics seemed centered on Overlord or pre-RtL games, and often variant rules at that. I see the question about expansions often, but the answer seems to always be along the lines of big box expansions are best content per dollar. I was hoping for something like this box is cool because it offers monsters that do cool thing X or that box is not as good as the heroes are unbalanced or such advice.

I do see another topic about side quests, I will duck in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Main/Story Quests in RtL Kindred Fire Campaign typically give 1XP and some gold when completed (whether you win or lose), but overall you'll get quite a few XP since this is a full campaign. These are the mandatory quests to move along the campaign story.

The intro quest in Rise of the Goblins campaign gives 3XP when completed, since this is a mini-campaign with only two story quests (intro and finale) and an option for a side quest or two between the two story quests.

Side quests won't give XP, but give some amount of gold. This is still helpful when trying to buy upgraded gear between quests. Even with just the core game, there still will be a few side quests, but having other expansions will unlock more for variety and replayability.

RtL isn't so much of a "crawl" as you need to focus more on completing objectives, not defeating monsters. The longer you stall, the more "peril" and bad stuff starts happening. Most of the time, you need to slay just enough monsters to keep off your back, and push towards the quest objectives. Killing monsters typically gives no rewards except one less thing attacking you and causing damage to your heroes; except for when the monster is a unique monster and needs to be slayed to complete a quest objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.